US Politics: Fate of congress hangs in the Ballots

A Horse Named Stranger

Conservatives continue to lose out to the progressives, which has been happening since 1865. It’s natural, and inevitable. It’s what the masses want!

Not even a bad economy was able to pause this trend! No, the GOP was effectively and permanently marginalized in 2020, and this makes it more concrete.

If it isn’t clear by now, yesterday should have made it so: the best option for the Democrats is to facilitate the God Emperor’s run in 2024.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Democrats have taken control of the Michigan legislature, giving them the trifectia for the first time in 40 years. Redistricting is done by an independent commission, so I'm not sure if any mid-cycle gerrymandering is possible. But very good news for a host of other reasons.

This is what happens when you have an engaged citizenry - I remember when petition signatures were being collected for the ballot proposal (it also coincided with the marijuana initiative, IIRC), followed by the adoption by the people of Michigan and the final outcome right now. Same for Prop 3 and reproductive rights. In fact, this is the first time since 2014 (when I became a citizen and started voting) that I can recall nearly all of my votes going towards winning candidates. It's better than the soul crushing alternative for sure.

The other thing I want to comment on is the media narrative and how it seems to have the opposite effect for the past 2 cycles, where they routinely seem to tout one party as dominating, which I swear drives turnout in some intangible way. I'm sure there's money to be had writing a research paper on "Effect of media narrative on driving turnout towards a more competitive landscape in opposition to the theme of the source material"

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I saw an indication that most of the outstanding votes are from Peublo… is that a Republican stronghold?

I thought I'd seen somewhere that most of the outstanding votes were mail-in ballots.

If my elderly memory is correct, Pueblo is one of the most blue-collar dominated places in Colorado -- just the sort of place that a few decades ago was reliably Democratic in its votes but has since shifted dramatically toward Republicans. But I have no real information on Pueblo specifically, just that speculation. 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

I thought I'd seen somewhere that most of the outstanding votes were mail-in ballots.

If my elderly memory is correct, Pueblo is one of the most blue-collar dominated places in Colorado -- just the sort of place that a few decades ago was reliably Democratic in its votes but has since shifted dramatically toward Republicans. But I have no real information on Pueblo specifically, just that speculation. 

That was my recollection as well… hence my question.

For a while there last night I had hope that one of Nebraska's seats was going blue. District 2 ended fairly narrowly. And I just learned there is a party called Marijuana Legal Now which had more representation in some of the races than the Democrats did. lol

On the positive side - one of the ballot measures was to raise the minimum wage and it passed.

16 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Conservatives continue to lose out to the progressives, which has been happening since 1865. It’s natural, and inevitable. It’s what the masses want!

Not even a bad economy was able to pause this trend! No, the GOP was effectively and permanently marginalized in 2020, and this makes it more concrete.

If it isn’t clear by now, yesterday should have made it so: the best option for the Democrats is to facilitate the God Emperor’s run in 2024.

Bad economy?? you may need subscription for the below article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-11-08/midterm-elections-joe-biden-s-economy-is-second-only-to-one

Now if you said rising prices… And according to most estimates, a majority of households still have liquidity or spending power.

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

There's this...grain of salt...

That's not the only twitter rando I've seen saying this now, there does seem to be some thing there; there is some math on their side. But I don't know how accurate it is and will wait for a network call before popping the metaphorical champagne. 

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

That's not the only twitter rando I've seen saying this now, there does seem to be some thing there; there is some math on their side. But I don't know how accurate it is and will wait for a network call before popping the metaphorical champagne. 

If we’re waiting for Pueblo votes that is good news for Frisch… right?

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

There's always this kind of,  "confirmation"/snark...

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

For a while there last night I had hope that one of Nebraska's seats was going blue. District 2 ended fairly narrowly. And I just learned there is a party called Marijuana Legal Now which had more representation in some of the races than the Democrats did. lol

On the positive side - one of the ballot measures was to raise the minimum wage and it passed.

As I mentioned in my post after I voted above, the Democrats only fielded candidates fro the Governor/Lt. Governor in terms of statewide races in Nebraska. The only candidate running for Attorney General against the Republican incumbent was from the Legalize Marijuana NOW party, so anyone like me who refused to vote for the Republican sort of had to vote for him. 

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

And it’s been stuck at 93% since this morning. At least according to AP’s projections 

1 minute ago, teej6 said:

And it’s been stuck at 93% since this morning. At least according to AP’s projections 

States get very irregular in continuing to count votes the morning after the tabulators first go home for the night, and often stop reporting results in real time. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything more until early afternoon CO time, when every remaining vote will get announced; barring some provisionals. Though I don't know for sure if CO is like that, but a bunch of other states are.

South Dakota votes to expand Medicaid

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/09/south-dakota-expand-medicaid-health-care-coverage-midterms-00065911

South Dakota voters on Tuesday approved a measure to expand the state’s Medicaid program under the Affordable Care Act.

The program, which takes effect in July and is expected to cover more than 40,000 people, passed with about 56 percent support.

The Republican-controlled state, where lawmakers have long resisted Medicaid expansion, is the seventh in the last five years to do so at the ballot box — and likely the last to do so for some time.

This piece reads like the opening of A.E. Homes's novel, The Unfolding, which also begins on an election night rethug celebration in a pricey EXCLUSIVE White resort complex in Arizona. Sarah Palin is invoked, as she is in other stories in this same paper as to 'what went wrong for us/them.' So are the luxury vehicles and the hierarchy of the parties within the party. As is the sheer ugly of These ilks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/09/arizona-maricopa-kari-lake-rage/

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Has there ever been a more rage-filled celebration?

Arizona Republicans up and down the ballot gathered at a resort here for a unified election night “party.” But things didn’t go as planned.

The Fox News election-night coverage, playing on the jumbo TV screens here, carried unwanted news that the great “red wave” had not materialized across the country, at least not yet. And here in Arizona, where the GOP nominated MAGA-inspired election deniers for governor, senator, secretary of state and other positions, hopes for early victories on election night had vanished.

The organizers took the Fox News coverage off the big screens and played music instead. They played the Village People’s “YMCA” — twice. Shuttle buses full of partygoers began to filter out, and by 10 p.m. the crowd had thinned considerably. The celebration, if it came at all, would be delayed.

Instead, Arizona’s MAGA Republican leaders brought fury and fanaticism on election night.

They eschewed basic decency. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is “losing the gavel but finding the hammer,” Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) told the crowd, joking about the attack on Pelosi’s husband that left him with a fractured skull — just as GOP gubernatorial nominee Kari Lake did a week earlier. The crowd laughed.

They stoked paranoia. “By attending this event you have increased your chance of an FBI raid by about 50 percent,” the emcee, Benny Johnson, said.

They hurled insults every which way. “Merrick Garland needs some new pantyhose.” “Beto [O’Rourke] is a furry.” Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) is a “little man” whose “ears don’t match.” President Biden is a “lost child” with a “very dirty diaper.” Democrats are “lunatics.”

At a time that typically calls for magnanimity and reconciliation, they instead cried out for vengeance. When Anthony Fauci’s name was invoked, they chanted “Lock him up!” They vowed to be a “nightmare to Joe Biden” and to impeach his aides. “Sorry libs,” sneered the emcee. “Sucks to suck.”

They boasted about the radicalism they represented. “We have remade this party in our image,” said state party chair Kelli Ward, “of people who aren’t going to take any crap.”

“Who’s ready to elect a bunch of radical Republican conservatives?” asked another speaker. The crowd roared.

And they repeatedly invoked the latest MAGA conspiracy that Election Day glitches with voting tabulators in Maricopa, the behemoth Phoenix-area county, were a “criminal” attempt to commit “fraud” against Republicans.

Never mind that the glitches didn’t cause a single ballot not to be counted, nor a single voter to be denied the right to vote. And never mind that the county officials overseeing the election (lustily booed by the MAGA crowd) are Republicans.

It was an appropriately ugly end to this grotesque campaign, just one last attempt to generate disgust — not just toward Democrats but toward the democratic process.

Armed men in tactical gear staked out ballot drop boxes in Democratic areas of Maricopa in a blatant attempt to intimidate voters. In Cochise County, GOP leaders attacked a judge for political bias after their scheme to hand-count all ballots was shot down. There was a break-in at Democratic gubernatorial nominee Katie Hobbs’s office, followed by receipt of white powder by mail at Lake’s. Maricopa’s sheriff, warning political leaders not “to incite violence or riots” with false claims, sent extra police to polling places, and barricades went up around elections offices.

For the Arizona GOP’s “Election Night Watch Party,” Lake, GOP Senate nominee Blake Masters and other Republicans arranged a joint celebration at the Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch in this upscale suburb.

After a campaign against supposed Democratic “elites,” Republican elites celebrated in style. A procession of luxury cars — BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Tesla, even a Rolls-Royce — dotted the valet line in the conference resort’s manicured driveway, lined with palm trees. VIPs who paid $500 a head were whisked off to a private reception, and higher rollers who shelled out $1,000 for the “private experience package” to another.

Hoi polloi , for $20 a ticket, squeezed into the back of the ballroom near the media or watched on jumbo screens in two courtyards (“Paradise Park Lawn”) strung with bistro lights. They could partake of the included pizza bar and a crudite display worthy of Mehmet Oz, but the 12-year-old Glenlivet at the cash bar was $12 a shot. A man wearing a brick-patterned novelty suit explained his costume to me: “It’s a border wall!”

On the ballroom stage, the speakers seemed impervious to the developing trend of the evening:

“We’re going to see a red tsunami!”

“This is a red tide coming in.”

“We’re riding the red wave here.”

A few minutes after 10 p.m. local time, Kari Lake took the stage with a fresh stream of invective: “Corruption.” “Cheaters and crooks.” “BS and garbage.” “Incompetent people running the show in Arizona.” “Propagandists.” “Fake media.” “Incompetency.”

“We will take the victory when it comes,” she told them. “We will not stop fighting until we have every legal vote counted.”

She departed quickly, and Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” blasted from the loudspeakers.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Pueblo is one of the most blue-collar dominated places in Colorado -

It's dominated by prayer warriors and those ilks; that may be blue color but it sure is not 'lib'. 

Archived