How would Margaery have done as Robert's Queen?

DominusNovus

We know that Renly planned to replace Cersei with Margaery, as part of a general plan of removing the Lannisters from power. We know that he wanted to play on, at least, the superficial resemblance between Margaery and Lyanna. But has it come up for discussion how Margaery would act, as Queen? She has far better PR, for lack of a better word, than Cersei, and she was clearly more calculating, and less impulsive (which is quite amusing, considering that she's just a teenager, and Cersei was a grown woman). Especially given that her position would rest on the fact that Cersei couldn't keep herself from committing treason by sleeping with someone other than Robert, we can be reasonably confident that Margaery would be much more restrained.

Meanwhile, of course, Robert is likely to be Robert, and still continue to drink and whore around. How does Margaery cope with that? Just accept it as the price to being Queen? Try to keep his attention in the bedroom as best she can? Or do the Tyrells, in general, start getting just as ruthless as the Lannisters, and decide that once she's given him a son, he's not all that necessary to keep around?

28 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

How was Renly planning to get Cersei out of the way again? He didn’t know her children were bastards, so did he just think Robert could cast her aside willy nilly?

Evidently. Unless he knew about the Lannincest, which makes him look like more of a hypocrite.

I would assume there was maybe more to the plan than hope Robert thinks Margaery looks good enough to set aside Cersei for. But I really doubt Renly knew of the incest. If he did know, he would likely go straight to Robert and tell him, because it would be just the thing to make him set Cersei aside and marry Margaery.

It could just be one of those odd plots in the First Book.

10 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

We know that Renly planned to replace Cersei with Margaery, as part of a general plan of removing the Lannisters from power. We know that he wanted to play on, at least, the superficial resemblance between Margaery and Lyanna. But has it come up for discussion how Margaery would act, as Queen? She has far better PR, for lack of a better word, than Cersei, and she was clearly more calculating, and less impulsive (which is quite amusing, considering that she's just a teenager, and Cersei was a grown woman). Especially given that her position would rest on the fact that Cersei couldn't keep herself from committing treason by sleeping with someone other than Robert, we can be reasonably confident that Margaery would be much more restrained.

Meanwhile, of course, Robert is likely to be Robert, and still continue to drink and whore around. How does Margaery cope with that? Just accept it as the price to being Queen? Try to keep his attention in the bedroom as best she can? Or do the Tyrells, in general, start getting just as ruthless as the Lannisters, and decide that once she's given him a son, he's not all that necessary to keep around?

An heir and a spare and then poof, Robert gone if he's too troublesome, quite obvious given what happened to Joffrey. If Robert proves to be not bothersome, well, even he would be better than a 5 year old king under whose rule(regency) vassals would be tearing at each other for favors and influence. Mace isn't the fool he was shown to be in the show but he's not that imposing a figure as Tywin either.

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Mace isn't the fool he was shown to be in the show

:agree:

Lots of people slander Mace as though he's some kind of idiot but he's not. He acts like a jolly oaf in public but when it's in private he's not so stupid. You can see it with his conversation near the end of ADwD. I mean if Olenna's his mother why would he be stupid?

12 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

Mace and Olenna are different in regards to how they will think of that marriage.  Marge won't be happy but Mace would write it off as the price of high social status as queen.  Olenna would want Marge happy and remove Robert after the couple produces an heir.  

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

An heir and a spare and then poof, Robert gone if he's too troublesome, quite obvious given what happened to Joffrey. If Robert proves to be not bothersome, well, even he would be better than a 5 year old king under whose rule(regency) vassals would be tearing at each other for favors and influence. Mace isn't the fool he was shown to be in the show but he's not that imposing a figure as Tywin either.

3 hours ago, The Commentator said:

Mace and Olenna are different in regards to how they will think of that marriage.  Marge won't be happy but Mace would write it off as the price of high social status as queen.  Olenna would want Marge happy and remove Robert after the couple produces an heir.  

I’m not sure I’m convinced they’d off him that easily. There’s Joffrey the sadistic psychopath, who they were not just protecting Margaery from, but they were also in league with Baelish in order to off him.

Then there’s Robert, just a lech and a drunk. He’s no paragon of chivalry, but compared to Joffrey, he’s perfectly acceptable. Robert drunk is preferable to Joffrey sober.

8 minutes ago, DominusNovus said:

I’m not sure I’m convinced they’d off him that easily. There’s Joffrey the sadistic psychopath, who they were not just protecting Margaery from, but they were also in league with Baelish in order to off him.

Then there’s Robert, just a lech and a drunk. He’s no paragon of chivalry, but compared to Joffrey, he’s perfectly acceptable. Robert drunk is preferable to Joffrey sober.

And I didn't say they'll off him easily for no reason at all. If a drunken Robert starts beating Margaery(I highly doubt it, Cersei only got hit once and she pushed him real hard), if he treats her bad in any way, they'll do it, otherwise, Robert is a good placeholder until the new heir comes of age. 

But then there's also the fact Robert wasn't long for this world anyway, he's just 35-40 but obese, morbidly so if I recall, and a drunkard. Even if his liver persists, his kidneys will  likely be gone in a few years due to high blood pressure. 

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

And I didn't say they'll off him easily for no reason at all. If a drunken Robert starts beating Margaery(I highly doubt it, Cersei only got hit once and she pushed him real hard), if he treats her bad in any way, they'll do it, otherwise, Robert is a good placeholder until the new heir comes of age. 

But then there's also the fact Robert wasn't long for this world anyway, he's just 35-40 but obese, morbidly so if I recall, and a drunkard. Even if his liver persists, his kidneys will  likely be gone in a few years due to high blood pressure. 

I agree regarding Robert’s health. However, as much as I am loathe to defend Cersei, I’m pretty sure he hit her more than once. My gut says he’s far less likely to hit Margaery.

1 hour ago, PrinceAemondTargaryen said:

The only reason Olenna offer Joffrey was because of how insane he was. He was dangerous and unpredictable. Robert would be far easier to deal with, and likely would never be a threat to Margaery’s safety. Olenna wouldn’t risk regicide for that.

It just occurred to me that, if Robert did start annoying the Tyrells, they might be willing to just indulge his vices more. A drunk king will devolve more decisions to a (presumably Tyrell-led) Small Council. Give him some exciting amorous company if he’s being too bothersome to Margaery. They don’t strike me as the sort to be bothered by *low born* bastards.

A king with just such normal vices is a king thats easier to manage.

On 11/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, DominusNovus said:

Margaery Tyrell would have been the perfect queen for Robert ,Robb , Jon and Aegon and Me . She is young ,beautiful .very intelligent and she seems to truly care about the small folk .

Archived