Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

Sunk-cost fallacy

The phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

Examples include: watching a boring movie because you already paid money for the ticket, and spending 44 billion on a company that you had no idea how to run (maybe not as bad as the F35 program, but at least the military has infinite money to play with)

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

on top of that having a herd of employees who just hate his guts and think he's the literal devil. I'm not sure he could have stood still and done nothing.

You know he could probably lessen the chance of them disliking him by not firing them with little warning, than begging a lot of them to come back, and having them cover positions better suited to their former peers.

Like could have not done any of that?

Like most of them probably don’t want Twitter to fail just to spite Musk. If Twitter fails they’ll be hurt more than richest man in history.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/12/joining-the-herd-whats-it-like-moving-from-twitter-to-mastodon

Costs are mounting for hosts who never expected to be absorbing an appreciable fraction of the traffic of a $44bn social network

BUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRN

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Costs are mounting for hosts who never expected to be absorbing an appreciable fraction of the traffic of a $44bn social network

And donations from users (via Patreon etc) are also mounting. It's not a problem. I suspect the increased moderation workload is more likely to be an issue; the number of people willing to volunteer will grow with the user base, but recruiting suitable candidates is still a significant extra job for the server owner.

1 hour ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Mastodon, Tribel will fail like other right-wing social media platforms such as Parler, Truth Social

Mastodon was doing just fine for years before the Twitterpocalyse. It's not a business; it doesn't need to maximise profits to be a success, just serve the needs of its users.

Mastodon won't fail in terms of 'won't exist anymore' or anything like that but I still don't think it's gonna replace twitter either. It's just doesn't seem designed to do that- in many ways it seems specifically designed to not be many of the things twitter is.

In some ways that's a good thing- pretty sure it'd be much harder for the main character phenomenon to take over like it does on twitter, so long as server owners/moderators keep up with it - but for people who use it for marketing or outreach it seems like a much less viable choice. Especially anyone who wouldn't be moving to Mastodon with an already-large following or known name. 

As I saw someone put it, it replaces the 'hang out with your friends' part of twitter, but not so much the 'everyone is here' part. And I'm not sure it would replace the second part even if everyone did migrate there, because the whole point is that it's a bunch of 'heres' and not one 'here'.  

So much winning, good business, and basic respect for people.

I can't wait for that Mars colony - he truly believes in respect and dignity for the human race.

15 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Mastodon, Tribel will fail like other right-wing social media platforms such as Parler, Truth Social

And that right there explains the value of the Twitter brand. And it retains some of that value even as Musk takes a watery stool on it. I guess the question is can the world's richest man destroy the Twitter brand by doing everything in his power to dismantle it? (While thinking he's making it better)

I do think there's a good chance Musk eventually sells it. Also, completely destroying Twitter is probably the one thing to most likely lead to another platform rising to replace it. It seems an unlikely result for it to not only be gone, but not replaced. Are politicians going to return to Facebook or WAPO editorials? 

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I didn't tweet often but I didn't fully appreciate how much I used Twitter for information, until I disabled my account the other day. Oh well. 

kairparavel -- ah, yes; one of its many strengths, which is why I’m not ruling out Twitter’s survival. It serves a need, and I don’t see any equivalent replacing it (because there aren’t any).

It's kind of nonsense to suggest Twitter serves a real need in the best possible way to serve that need. I'm not even sure social media has been a net benefit to the world in the forms it has been served to us so far. Has anyone tried to quantify the benefit vs harm social media has facilitated and come up with an answer to the question: has it been worth it?

Archived