Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

29 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Week -- I do respect his will and skill, and find him hilarious. The amount of detraction (especially its petty, hysterical, and vitriolic nature) that Elon faces is inspiring to me and, no doubt, motivating to him.

Nah.

He's about as insecure and precious as you can get, making it easy to believe the story his dad [relatively] recently told about why Elon got pushed down the stairs and hospitalized at school.

I'm, generously, giving Twitter 6 months. 

7 minutes ago, JGP said:

He could roll it into Tesla like he did his solar panel company [iirc] which was how he warded off bankruptcy before.

Twesla.

No need to spend millions on branding. Save a bunch of money by adopting the twitter turd emoji as his new company's logo.

8 minutes ago, JGP said:

I'm, generously, giving Twitter 6 months

JGP -- interesting read, actually. If true, that Elon's intent is to fire all detractors, than good for him. Why wouldn't he purge his firm of them? It's a good move. We did the same in the USA -- two Captains (my peers at the time) ridiculed Barack in the mildest way possible and got caught. One immediately resigned knowing his career was over; the other thought he could survive, but after another 5 years dedicated towards earning a generous pension, was cashed out the precise moment before it could be secured. Purging detractors is necessary and prudent.

I looked up the story about Elon being pushed down the stairs and hospitalized. Apparently, his father didn't defend him. Instead, Elon recovered, stood up, and realized his ambition to become the wealthiest man in the world. Hardship motivated him, as it does all ambitious men. Again, good for him.

6 months, huh? That's very generous :leer:

8 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- interesting read, actually. If true, that Elon's intent is to fire all detractors, than good for him. Why wouldn't he purge his firm of them? It's a good move. We did the same in the USA -- two Captains (my peers at the time) ridiculed Barack in the mildest way possible and got caught. One immediately resigned knowing his career was over; the other thought he could survive, but after another 5 years dedicated towards earning a generous pension, was cashed out the precise moment before it could be secured. Purging detractors is necessary and prudent.

His HR problems are entirely of his own making, so I suppose he is a miraculous success story if you look at it in a certain way -or don't- like deliberately ignoring the appearance that he seems to enjoy punching himself repeatedly in the junk.

5 minutes ago, JGP said:

His HR problems are entirely of his own making, so I suppose he is a miraculous success story if you look at it in a certain way-- like deliberately ignoring the appearance that he apparently enjoys punching himself repeatedly in the junk.

JGP -- sure, why not; all great men are bound to be disliked by many. Elon knew no rehabilitation of labor-capital relations would occur. Thus, the purge was necessary given Twitter's culture and the economic challenges facing all tech companies today. He's just handling it in the most amusingly possible way; and I am entertained.

11 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

sure, why not; all great men are bound to be disliked by many.

It’s a mistake to misconstrue getting an onus reputation with being great.

13 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Elon knew no rehabilitation of labor-capital relations would occur. Thus, the purge was necessary given Twitter's culture

It’s surprising how the most fervent pushers of capitalism not understand that some laborers can’t just be replaced easily and getting a reputation for creating a hostile work environment just make potential skilled workers not want to sign up.

Like he doesn’t have to fire employees for correcting him in public, or criticizing the direction of the company in private.

17 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

He's just handling it in the most amusingly possible way; and I am entertained.

Amusingly in its incompetency.

23 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- sure, why not; all great men are bound to be disliked by many. Elon knew no rehabilitation of labor-capital relations would occur. Thus, the purge was necessary given Twitter's culture and the economic challenges facing all tech companies today. He's just handling it in the most amusingly possible way; and I am entertained.

Agreed, it's very entertaining. Twitter, for me, has always been very funny. But since Elon marched that sink in it's been off the hook. You're giving him a pass though. I think Twitter benefited substantially from Covid [mask mandates, public gathering restrictions, at least initially] so much so it actually made profit last year, but if I'm looking at potential acquisitions I'm sussing where the bread is buttered. He either didn't or doesn't care, and now he's throwing bad money after worse. It's a fail, as well as a good example of why there shouldn't be Billionaires, and why meritocracy in dudebro techworld parlance is amusing [FTX just another case in point]

re: great men, we probably differ significantly on metrics there. 

Dude may be a super rich clown [recent estimates surmise he's lost about 100 billion in value, all self inflicted] but he's still, at the end of the day, a fucking clown. :) 

In other Twitter news, I made a bad joke in an artist's feed and now I'm getting dogpiled a little bit because she took it literally and quote tweeted it-- so that's what that's like [sorta, I'm not getting dunked on by the world, mind]

2 minutes ago, JGP said:

In other Twitter news, I made a bad joke in an artist's feed and now I'm getting dogpiled a little bit because she took it literally and quote tweeted it-- so that's what that's like [sorta, I'm not getting dunked on by the world, mind]

JGP -- good for you! Intentional or not, I always found those dynamics ... energizing.

1 hour ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- interesting read, actually. If true, that Elon's intent is to fire all detractors, than good for him. Why wouldn't he purge his firm of them? It's a good move. We did the same in the USA -- two Captains (my peers at the time) ridiculed Barack in the mildest way possible and got caught. 

You may be shocked to learn that tech companies have different labor laws, expectations of employees, and culture from the US Army. Most of what you describe above is illegal in the private sector without cause and will likely result in lawsuits. ...unless a sufficient payout and NDA is agreed to.

Also, as has been well documented, Twitter is going to have FTC and EU GDPR regulators knocking down the door in short order. 

1 minute ago, Week said:

You may be shocked to learn that tech companies have different labor laws, expectations of employees, and culture from the US Army. Most of what you describe above is illegal in the private sector without cause and will likely result in lawsuits. ...unless a sufficient payout and NDA is agreed to.

Also, as has been well documented, Twitter is going to have FTC and EU GDPR regulators knocking down the door in short order. 

Week -- I believe you! Thank God I'm in a position to never have to work in the civil sector, albeit their loss. To be honest, I wouldn't be able to conform after two decades of being willingly institutionalized. I like civilians.

How much time do you give Elon's Twitter before collapse? 6 months? 1 year? No opinion?

I previously said 6 months, but if he allows Trump back on I'm not sure I'd even give it 2. He's already upside down, but that would drive most of his remaining ad revenue away.

1 minute ago, JGP said:

I previously said 6 months, but if he allows Trump back on I'm not sure I'd even give it 2. He's already upside down, but that would drive most of his remaining ad revenue away.

JGP -- that's interesting. I could imagine the God Emperor's return would lead to platform depopulation; however, I could also see it attracting more people. Most everyone loves drama and conflict, especially if they can participate without violence, or enjoy it as an observer.

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll return given his obligations with Truth Social. I hope he does, though.

4 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- that's interesting. I could imagine the God Emperor's return would lead to platform depopulation; however, I could also see it attracting more people. Most everyone loves drama and conflict, especially if they can participate without violence, or enjoy it as an observer.

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll return given his obligations with Truth Social. I hope he does, though.

God.

Bear in mind I'm self medicating an injury with gummies because my GP decided to stop the painkillers, but you're so fucking weird man lol

Is it the chaos you enjoy, then? 

And that's saying a lot of things, because his dad is a fucking freak.

Generational trauma in that family, top to bottom fucked up for sure, compounded by entitlement and privilege. Can hardly imagine. Oddball. Bullied. Yet not one bit of me feels sorry for him. I'll occasionally wonder if that's cruel, for a second, before I laugh and kick it. However much he lies to himself, Elon's neck deep in an incredible act of destruction and self destruction. 

Got to wonder if somewhere in there is a little self hatred too.              

As an aside, dropping into the signal [or whatever] private chats of SpaceX engineers lately I guarantee would've have been lit.    

35 minutes ago, JGP said:

God.

Bear in mind I'm self medicating an injury with gummies because my GP decided to stop the painkillers, but you're so fucking weird man lol

Is it the chaos you enjoy, then? 

JGP -- yes, I’d agree with that wholeheartedly: weird, abnormal, deviant. I interpret things differently from the norm; and behave differently, too. For example, when I nearly lost an eyeball (hahaha), I refused painkillers throughout my convalescence.

To your question, yes; I thrive under conditions of chaos. It’s the ideal field to play upon. That’s where the great opportunities exist; where risk in exchange for reward is most economical.

This outlook may be why I acknowledge and appreciate Elon. Where my peers would do a patrol a day, I’d do two or three. Where people hesitated during the SMC, I bought as many as I could. Just don’t die; just don’t go broke; and you’ll be fine, hahaha. Everything’s fine.

Archived