Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

According to his dad, he mocked a kid whose dad had killed himself. Who then sent him down the stairs.

That was why Musk snr didnt defend him

Derfel Cadarn -- yep, that’s what I read, too. Errol chose not to defend his son because if Elon’s bullying. Imagine the consequences of being hospitalized, even if wrong, and not getting the full support of a parent.

So much trauma, yet so many achievements. I wonder if these things go hand in hand amongst the great men of history.

12 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- yes, I’d agree with that wholeheartedly: weird, abnormal, deviant. I interpret things differently from the norm; and behave differently, too. For example, when I nearly lost an eyeball (hahaha), I refused painkillers throughout my convalescence.

lol 

Thresholds are interesting sometimes, but never for long. 

13 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

To your question, yes; I thrive under conditions of chaos. It’s the ideal field to play upon. That’s where the great opportunities exist; where risk in exchange for reward is most economical.

This outlook may be why I acknowledge and appreciate Elon. Where my peers would do a patrol a day, I’d do two or three. Where people hesitated during the SMC, I bought as many as I could. Just don’t die; just don’t go broke; and you’ll be fine, hahaha. Everything’s fine.

I don't know what your current situation, and yeah, we all deal how we deal, but, do you see how that's fucked up? 

Look at your boy. What was the meme, blow almost half of your fortune instead of going to therapy? Something like that. 

1 minute ago, JGP said:

Thresholds are interesting sometimes, but never for long. 

I don't know what your current situation, and yeah, we all deal how we deal, but, do you see how that's fucked up? 

Look at your boy. What was the meme, blow almost half of your fortune instead of going to therapy? Something like that.

JGP -- don’t get me wrong; I don’t judge people who rely on painkillers. It’s weird not to seek relief, but I prefer maximum clarity. It’s a trade-off.

Right, we all operate (or deal) a bit differently from each other. Like Elon, I do best in chaos. You see his situation as fucked up; I see his efforts as progress.

I’m nowhere near as successful as he is, and never will be. I’m just better off than 98% of the US population, which still doesn’t satisfy me, hahaha.

The meme you’re talking about is a favorite of mine. There’s a bunch of variations, but you can read about its background here.

Just now, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- don’t get me wrong; I don’t judge people who rely on painkillers. It’s weird not to seek relief, but I prefer maximum clarity. It’s a trade-off.

I'm not getting you wrong. It's just this aspect you invariably introduce doesn't interest me much in this medium. Dead end unless in person. 

3 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Right, we all operate (or deal) a bit differently from each other. Like Elon, I do best in chaos. You see his situation as fucked up; I see his efforts as progress.

I’m nowhere near as successful as he is, and never will be. I’m just better off than 98% of the US population, which still doesn’t satisfy me, hahaha.

I see more than this situation as fucked up [I'm actually restraining myself from ranting off on the G20 right now]

The wallet thing though, nah to that too.

Get real, yo.

4 minutes ago, JGP said:

I see more than this situation as fucked up [I'm actually restraining myself from ranting off on the G20 right now]

JGP -- I’ll allow it.

What’s most fascinating to me is the importance of Elon’s wallet (i.e., his wealth), which is the foundation of his power. Economics is as real is it gets, yo. In fact, it’s by way of it that his reach also influences warfare as well as politics. Interestingly, if Twitter does collapse, he’ll shrug it off and move onto the next thing.

I don't know about that. I think Elon is flapping the wings of this dead ass bird into some mighty, political headwinds.  Instead of infighting, the Dems should convince the Progressives to take Elon on as a case sample. Dig in, PR wise, inquiry if ever possible.  Hard to imagine many scenarios where there wasn't off the record corporate support as well.

And, when you think about it-- talking to Poots [ffs] Starlinks occasional unreliability, there's no world where the FBI aren't doing more than sniffing his shit.  

5 minutes ago, JGP said:

I don't know about that. I think Elon is flapping the wings of this dead ass bird into some mighty, political headwinds.  Instead of infighting, the Dems should convince the Progressives to take Elon on as a case sample. Dig in, PR wise, inquiry if ever possible.  Hard to imagine many scenarios where there wasn't off the record corporate support as well.

JGP -- are the Democrats fighting each other over Twitter? They seem united to me. Also, I vaguely recall a lawmaker (senator, maybe?) threatening Elon. It fell flat, though.

That was amusing, yes. He can't help himself. Absolutely daring whatever there is of the establishment. Feels like Elon is a hairs breadth from radicalization if he hasn't red pilled himself already. 

And no, the Dems aren't fighting. Yet. Depends how cozy Biden gets with McConnell I suppose, amongst other things. AOC in particular needs an adversary, and how that works out has already been illustrated. Not good for Elon. Perfect chance for corporations to kind of, tweak the general consensus on where they stand too. Antitrust Elon's ass, nationalize SpaceX and Skynet, carve up the rest. Corps get their little rebrand. Elon likewise retires with a little dignity, somewhere distant where he can bark at the moon in solitude. Which, though maybe punishment to him, is likely also the greatest thing that man could ever do for sOcIetY.

If wishes were fishes kind of thing.  

2 minutes ago, JGP said:

That was amusing, yes. He can't help himself. Absolutely daring whatever there is of the establishment…

JGP -- found it! It was Ed Markey! Never heard of him, but he complained that someone had impersonated him or something.

Elon responded directly, telling Ed it was because his actual account appeared to be a parody. He went further, questioning why he still wore a mask in his profile picture.

Elon! Hahaha!

3 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- found it! It was Ed Markey! Never heard of him, but he complained that someone had impersonated him or something.

Elon responded directly, telling Ed it was because his actual account appeared to be a parody. He went further, questioning why he still wore a mask in his profile picture.

Elon! Hahaha!

Truly marvelous marketing and user engagement. A clinic on how to make friends and influence people.

Any issues with the technology, platform, and service are (relatively) reparable with money (and time). His reputation and general public's desire to see him fail is less and less so. Other than the chaos and weird nerd fanbois, I guess.

48 minutes ago, Week said:

Truly marvelous marketing and user engagement. A clinic on how to make friends and influence people.

Any issues with the technology, platform, and service are (relatively) reparable with money (and time). His reputation and general public's desire to see him fail is less and less so. Other than the chaos and weird nerd fanbois, I guess.

Week -- IKR! Elon ridiculed a US senator (twice, in quick succession) on Twitter, a very public social media platform with some reach. And when Ed threatened him, Elon shrugged it off, demonstrating Ed’s impotence.

And if you read the responses of the mob, some were for him while others were against him. These interactions were somewhat intense, yet it all occurred on Twitter, Elon’s property. It’s true, though; he’s not a student of Dale Carnegie.

Money, warfare, and politics; the core resources great players use while operating in time and space. I was fortunate enough to have seen all three factors applied down range; and even more fortunate to seem them wielded in the civil sector re real estate. I’m curious to see how Elon survives the onslaught.

He's obsessed with 'code'.  He is unconvincing as to exhibiting any understanding of what 'coding' even means, particularly within the context of a social media platform, the function of which is displaying brief comments, photos and videos.  Which it was doing to high satisfaction already, going by the evidence of millions of users.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/16/musk-twitter-email-ultimatum-termination/

.... Anyone who did not sign the pledge by 5 p.m. Eastern time Thursday would receive three months of severance pay, the message said.

In the midnight email, which was obtained by The Washington Post, Musk said Twitter “will need to be extremely hardcore” going forward. “This will mean working long hours at high intensity,” he said. “Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

The pledge email, paired with a new policy mandating a return to the office, is expected to lead to even more attrition at a company whose staff Musk had already reduced by half. Musk said Twitter would be more of an engineer-driven operation going forward — and while the design and product-management areas would still be important and report to him, he said, “those writing great code will constitute the majority of our team and have the greatest sway.” ....

These Times have proven it. Everybody running everything from Russia, etc. everywhere, making All the Decisions, is an utter ignoramus.  Why, yes, as you say, your boss is A Fool.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Twitter staff have until tomorrow to commit to working 'long hours at high intensity' or leave.  Not sure how enforceable or measurable that is, but whatever. 

He's fucking off his tits. 

To be fair this is pretty much the attitude of a lot of tech start ups, which is often why there is so much burn out. It really isn't a job for everyone, or basically anyone over the age of 30, anyone with a family etc. 

My mate recently got hired as a manager at a fintech start up and his first task was to get rid of the deadwood, and there was quite a lot of people there who were happy to turn up, do a 9-5, take the money and go home. That is probably fine for a lot of places but it's not the culture for lots of these startups, so he's replaced them with younger hungrier people who are prepared to have zero life for a larger pay packet. 

I've worked at places like that and honestly, fuck it, never again. Enough people buy into that culture for it to become the norm though.

46 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

Week -- IKR! Elon ridiculed a US senator (twice, in quick succession) on Twitter, a very public social media platform with some reach. And when Ed threatened him, Elon shrugged it off, demonstrating Ed’s impotence.

Is a statement of fact really threatening? Of course Enron shrugged it off -- he's unable to receive criticism or feedback that isn't fawning. Not the sign of a good leader, or a health individual.

Congressional and regulatory oversight does not, and almost always should not, suddenly happen in a day. We'll see who has the last laugh -- it is unlikely to be Enron.

To your earlier question, unless Enron rolls Twitter into other companies or self-funds it's continued losses, I don't see how Twitter is around for even 6 months. Once again, the technical infrastructure won't survive that long with such a dysfunctional company.

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Twitter staff have until tomorrow to commit to working 'long hours at high intensity' or leave.  Not sure how enforceable or measurable that is, but whatever. 

He's fucking off his tits. 

Big Fat Coward -- yep; not only did Elon lay off half his employees in short order, I read that he may have also cut ties with 4000 or so contractors.

Couple these actions with his demands for dedicated labor (and preparations for the economic downturn), and he’s intentionally gone beyond mere decimation. It’s an outright purge.

6 minutes ago, Week said:

Is a statement of fact really threatening? Of course Enron shrugged it off -- he's unable to receive criticism or feedback that isn't fawning. Not the sign of a good leader, or a health individual.

Congressional and regulatory oversight does not, and almost always should not, suddenly happen in a day. We'll see who has the last laugh -- it is unlikely to be Enron.

To your earlier question, unless Enron rolls Twitter into other companies or self-funds it's continued losses, I don't see how Twitter is around for even 6 months. Once again, the technical infrastructure won't survive that long with such a dysfunctional company.

Week -- yes, in my opinion a statement of fact can be conveyed and intended as a threat, which was how Ed reacted in response to being humiliated by Elon.

What Ed said does seem to reflect a legitimate threat, though; isn’t the USG is supposed to regulate? Ultimately, Elon will have to comply in order to survive; and the USG will have to play ball, in order to remain legitimate.

It would be better for everyone to be nice, but as a private citizen, Elon does have more room to maneuver in time and space. Moreover, he has significant influence in many of the important domains involving the USG.

Elon’s intent is to incorporate Twitter into X, which some people consider could become a WeChat equivalent. I honestly don’t know how Elon will survive this, so I appreciate the speculations on timeline.

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:

He's obsessed with 'code'.  He is unconvincing as to exhibiting any understanding of what 'coding' even means, particularly within the context of a social media platform, the function of which is displaying brief comments, photos and videos.  Which it was doing to high satisfaction already, going by the evidence of millions of users.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/16/musk-twitter-email-ultimatum-termination/

These Times have proven it. Everybody running everything from Russia, etc. everywhere, making All the Decisions, is an utter ignoramus.  Why, yes, as you say, your boss is A Fool.

Musk seems like he learned all he knows about management by watching the first ten minutes of Wall Street.

Archived