Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

12 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

So much winning! Another very stable genius.

Hey, at least he had that snappy comeback to a legitimate complaint from a sitting US Senator with the power to launch investigations into his multiple mismanaged companies.

I suppose it never occurred to Musk's galactic brain that he was the one acting like a parody, of a spoiled twit who thinks he's a genius. You couldn't write a character as hilarious as this -- pull the other one, it's got bells on.

1 hour ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

"Space Karen" will be the nickname that sticks wherever he goes now. 

On behalf of the perfectly nice people I know with that name, I can't go along with this nickname.

But I appreciate the hair meme. I hope he finds it humiliating.

"OK, here's your choice: you can either continue to work in a failing company under harsh conditions and a boss who abuses you, or you can take three months of pay and look for another job. You have one day to dec- hey, where are you all going?"

It amazes me how, after running organizations with thousands of people for decades, Musk still somehow fails to grasp basic human psychology. And that "do what you want or I'll fire you" doesn't exactly work against highly qualified tech workers in California, who can find a new job within the same week.

It might already be too late to save it in its current form. Twitter had a set of agreements regarding moderation with the European Union and the firings and resignations have effectively removed the people who were responsible for complying with these agreements. If offensive content comes up, the EU will almost certainly sue and they don't play around (i.e. it will not be a token fine). Similarly, the advertisers are already leaving for pretty much the same reason. And even if the leadership changes, nobody is going to work for Twitter after this unless they're desperate or they're given amazingly high short term incentives. There just isn't enough money to deal with everything.

Yes, Twitter is also probably (or will be within days) running afoul of California and US laws as well.  Which will result in more fines. 

I'm hoping that someone successfully scoops up a meaningful portion of the talent leaving twitter and forms a similar company to fill the void. 

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

"OK, here's your choice: you can either continue to work in a failing company under harsh conditions and a boss who abuses you, or you can take three months of pay and look for another job. You have one day to dec- hey, where are you all going?"

It amazes me how, after running organizations with thousands of people for decades, Musk still somehow fails to grasp basic human psychology. And that "do what you want or I'll fire you" doesn't exactly work against highly qualified tech workers in California, who can find a new job within the same week.

It's the knowledge illusion, in part, the assumption that because you're great and did something that's great that the model will apply to everything else you do. Generally speaking that's not the case.

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yes, Twitter is also probably (or will be within days) running afoul of California and US laws as well.  Which will result in more fines. 

I'm hoping that someone successfully scoops up a meaningful portion of the talent leaving twitter and forms a similar company to fill the void. 

I think I saw Jack Dorsey was considering it lol

My favorite part is that, while Elon demanded that the those who remain work "extremely hardcore", he did not actually describe a goal that they should be working for, or his vision for the company, or give any directions. I'm imagining the remaining employees furiously typing random shit into a Word document to give the appearance of working in an extremely hardcore manner.

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

he did not actually describe a goal that they should be working for, or his vision for the company, or give any directions.

Well, yes he did.  In a brilliant genius succinct instruction:  "Coding."

The only thing we know certainly is the bankruptcy will keep courts and law firms busy for decades, as sorting out whether or not he is still liable for massive loans he got to buy this hot mess.  Just for starters.

Apparently a group of admirers has commissioned a metal sculpture of an Elon-headed goat straddling a rocket:

$EGT developer Ashley Sansalone tells us, "We just put a goat on a rocket with him on it because I think that he's, he's the goat in his industry."

The sculpture which features Elon's head on a goat body, straddling a rocket is the brainchild of cryptocurrency firm Elon Goat Token ($EGT).

Elon Goat Token?!? That can't be real, can it?

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/giant-monument-of-elon-musk-as-a-goat-riding-a-rocket-is-coming-to-austin-this-weekend-elon-goat-token-egt-cryptocurrency-tesla-giga-factory

More on the Muskies and their connection to Technocracy Inc. and what it is.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/technocracy-incorporated-elon-musk

On Oct. 13, 1940, a Regina chiropractor named Joshua Haldeman appeared in city court to face two charges under the Defence of Canada Act.

His alleged offence was belonging to Technocracy Incorporated, an organization that had been banned by the Canadian government several months earlier as part of a larger sweep of groups it considered subversive to the war effort.

Technocracy Incorporated was not a political movement – in fact, politicians or members of political parties were not allowed to join. It was founded in New York City in 1933 as an educational and research organization promoting a radical restructuring of political, social and economic life in Canada and the United States, with science as its central operating principle.

There would be no politicians, business people, money or income inequality. Those were all features of what Technocracy called the “price system,” and it would have to go.

There would be no countries called Canada or the United States, either – just one giant continental land mass called the Technate, a techno-utopia run by engineers and other “experts” in their fields. In the Technate, everyone would be well-housed and fed. All material needs would be taken care of, whether you had a job or not.

Joshua Haldeman was a leader of Technocracy Incorporated in Canada from 1936 to 1941, but eventually became disillusioned with both the organization and the country, and packed up his young family to start life anew in South Africa.

In June 1971, Haldeman’s daughter Maeve gave birth to his first grandson. His name is Elon Musk.

Archived