Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

29 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I can comprehend! :)

Also, I saw earlier that the whole financial reporting team walked out. OF COURSE THEY DID. I would have been gone as soon as the company went private, with a nice severance package and all my stock having vested due to change-in-control provisions.

Can he take this loss? I dunno. We need a taxpert, stat. I summon… @Mlle. Zabzie!!! (Por favor)

That's pretty much the response I've gotten from friends I've asked. And I agree, it absolutely would be the smart thing to do. And now it's at the point where people are getting a 24 hour notice to decide the future of their lives, many of them with families and mortgages? WTF is that?

I didn't want to waste one of my summons on you or MZ because like I've said before the plane is clearly crashing, we just need to figure out what point it's at.

Also, technically didn't summon you and you summoned MZ, so I lose no summoning spells. Muhahahaha! 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's pretty much the response I've gotten from friends I've asked. And I agree, it absolutely would be the smart thing to do. And now it's at the point where people are getting a 24 hour notice to decide the future of their lives, many of them with families and mortgages? WTF is that?

I didn't want to waste one of my summons on you or MZ because like I've said before the plane is clearly crashing, we just need to figure out what point it's at.

Also, technically didn't summon you and you summoned MZ, so I lose no summoning spells. Muhahahaha! 

Hey @Chataya de Fleury I hear there is a financial reporting job at once and future tech company.  Pay and benefits negotiable and debatable.  Work schedule 24/7, boss insane, might get Chapter 11 experience.  

1 hour ago, cock_merchant said:

Easy on the hyperbole, mate. If Trump's return to twitter ends democracy, then it deserves it.

Not hearing an obj;)ection.

But it will be easier for people to get his political opponents  killed there than omit truth social.

Which would make it harder to keep democracy.:D

@cock_merchant eh, don’t like PM. Not attack on you, just a peculiaritity. Whatever you typed there I won’t read. Im sorry.;)

Trump will only return to Twitter if asked. Not 'you can come back' but 'please come back'.

And Trump returning at this point won't save either Twitter or Trump.

As for the staff, is there anyone on this thread who wouldn't take the severance at this stage, if they were at Twitter? Even in the UK, where you could (as noted previously) easily take Twitter to a tribunal for unfair constructive dismissal and get double that amount of money, the worry would be that by the time you did that, the company would be broke. Not that I would guarantee all these severance payments are going to be made either. There's apparently no payroll to process them, and by the time it gets sorted the company may be bust.

13 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Hey @Chataya de Fleury I hear there is a financial reporting job at once and future tech company.  Pay and benefits negotiable and debatable.  Work schedule 24/7, boss insane, might get Chapter 11 experience.  

Totally would get Chapter 11 experience and probably be on the receiving end of an M&A transaction…

Disabled people fear Twitter changes under Elon Musk leave them behind
People with disabilities consider Twitter a ‘lifeline’ but worry recent cutbacks will make it unusable

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/11/18/disability-support-twitter-harassment/

Twitter has long been an essential public space for people with disabilities because of its unique format and broad reach. But now many people worry that recent cutbacks and changes by Elon Musk will disproportionately harm disability communities.

Twitter employees have tweeted that recent layoffs included the entire accessibility engineering team, which helped make the website usable for those with disabilities, particularly those with sensory challenges, mobility issues and visual or auditory impairment.

In addition, several people said they have been experiencing more harassment about their disabilities in recent weeks as Musk dismantled the infrastructure needed to moderate hate speech and abuse. Earlier this week, Musk sent what has been described as an ableist tweet comparing a former employee’s criticisms to “a tragic case of adult onset Tourette’s.” ....

.... Deaf actress Marlee Matlin tweeted Thursday about the dismantling of the accessibility team, which ensured that the site was compatible with screen readers and provided alt-text and auto-caption support for video and voice tweets.

Matlin said that Twitter has “virtually leveled the playing field” for those with disabilities and evolved into a “barrier-free game changer.” She hinted that she might pause her account in protest of Musk’s decision to fire the accessibility team.
Twitter and Musk did not respond to requests for comment. Twitter laid off most of its communication team.

Twitter has long been uniquely suited for people with disabilities in a way that can’t be easily replicated elsewhere. Because it’s primarily focused on the written word, it’s easier to use for blind people, deaf people and those who struggle with speech or fine motor control issues, compared with social media sites like TikTok and Instagram, which emphasize visuals and audio.

Twitter also has broad reach. Platforms like Reddit and Mastodon group people into specific community spaces or servers, making it harder for posts to gain the attention of the general public. And many people with disabilities use Twitter to organize, fundraise and run businesses.

Now several critical teams essential to keeping the site functioning have been cut, and worries are growing that the site may collapse. ....

The Places Where Twitter Is Already Breaking
BY NITISH PAHWA
NOV 19, 202210:15 AM

https://slate.com/technology/2022/11/twitter-is-breaking.html

....  As reports arrive hour after hour of mass resignations, office closures, emergency meetings, and general Muskian chaos, ex-Twitter employees are warning of impending problems, and users across the United States are preparing for the platform’s imminent death. Reasonable enough, considering the massive departures have really hit the teams in charge of traffic, content moderation, front- and back-end engineering, content moderation, 24/7 on-call technical assistance, community management, system libraries, story curation, trust and safety policy, and user information. The infrastructure has proved sturdy enough that the social network probably won’t fully collapse—at least, not just yet. What might happen instead, as some former tweeps and digital observers have opined, is that continual bugs and glitches will pile up without sufficient task forces on hand to fix them.

Already, Twitter’s user bases outside the United States are facing these issues. “Twitter is very slow in India, Indonesia & many other countries,” Elon Musk tweeted Tuesday. “This is fact, not ‘claim’. 10 to 15 secs to refresh homeline tweets is common. Sometimes, it doesn’t work at all, especially on Android phones. Only question is how much delay is due to bandwidth/latency/app.” This isn’t a new problem: Indian desktop users reported ample service interruptions even earlier this month.

Musk may be acknowledging the concerns here, but he’s also rid his company of the people who actually know what to do about it. If you think the labor cuts and departures within the U.S. are bad—which they are—you should see how Musk has cleaned house in other nations. Twitter services for the entire continent of Africa were hollowed out just four days after its Ghana office opened. About 90 percent of Twitter staff in India, which comprises the website’s third-largest market, have also been left without jobs. According to Rest of World, “the company laid off practically all of its marketing and communication teams” throughout Southeast and East Asia, while sweeping layoffs also hit offices in Mexico and Brazil. These regions claim some of the largest numbers of Twitter’s users; these countries are where the app plays an outsize role in national discourse, activism, policy, and culture. Not coincidentally, they’re also the places where tweeters have reported slowdowns in overall UX, bugs while logging in to the service, and erroneously restricted accounts.

No two Twitter experiences (or feeds) are the same, and some user reports of website errors in various countries on Thursday night were self-admitted jokes. But as posters gathered to mourn what’s come of the platform—an occasion Musk celebrated as an “all-time high in Twitter usage lol”—there appeared to be a higher-than-usual number of network outages worldwide. Hundreds of such reports arrived that night alone from key countries like Singapore, India, Brazil, Mexico, Pakistan, and South Africa, per data scraped by Downdetector. These are, of course, some of the very countries where mis- and disinformation run most rampant, where censorship and shutdowns occur routinely, and where dedicated knowledge workers are needed most in fending off such catastrophes. They’re also countries that really like soccer, leading some fans to worry about what may happen online during the World Cup kickoff Sunday. ....

It's still fine for me too, though it's gone a bit quieter. More than a bit, really. Some of the people I follow may already have jumped ship. Of the ones still posting, a lot are sharing their Last Days of Rome articles, laughing at Elon Musk, or wondering where Crowley lost the antichrist this time. 

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Twitter still seems to be working pretty well for me despite all the chaos & dysfunction.  Others? 

Gaston de Foix -- no change in functionality (where I’m at in the US).

On intensity and engagement, it has picked up significantly, though that may be because I follow mostly news, finance, animals, and some drama accounts including what’s going on with Twitter itself. Moreover, I’m (casually) noticing an uptick in advertisements after a brief pause.

I have no certainty the platform will survive and thrive, but I believe it will. Otherwise, I find the chaos and anti-Elon hysteria entertaining, particularly the speculation on Twitter’s immediate fall. Too many detractors are relying on hope and rumor and hoax that it will be replaced by Mastodon or some other inferior platform. Ironically, the detraction is occurring on Twitter, hahahaha.

13 hours ago, cock_merchant said:

Accounts for the topG, Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson have been reinstated.

Go vote to have President Trump back on the platform. Long overdue.

Let the twitter revival start...

cock_merchant -- and Babylon Bee, too! After 13.5 million plus votes, the God Emperor still leads with a slim majority, hahahah. God wills it!

Elon has done a lot of good for humanity in such a short period of time, including his obviously intentional purge of Twitter’s less energetic employees. More, he’s pissing off both the far left and right (but mostly the left, given its former dominance on the platform). I’m far right, but the world is better off if it’s anchored in the center.

A forum with this much gravity and global importance shouldn’t be candy land, but reality. Mastodon exists for the gentler side of humanity.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Disabled people fear Twitter changes under Elon Musk leave them behind
People with disabilities consider Twitter a ‘lifeline’ but worry recent cutbacks will make it unusable

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/11/18/disability-support-twitter-harassment/

What the sheesh. Z is figuring it out? :p 

Keep going.

Archived