Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

28 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- sounds like you want to radicalize and take direct action. For what it's worth, I walked (as an observer only) in a Black Lives Matter march and was impressed by the leadership of the organizers and the energy of the youth. If I had been with them as a true believer, contributing to their efforts, I'd have been satisfied regardless of impact (if I were twenty- or thirty-something).

I cannot be blamed that, the way you described this, I pictured like an 8 foot tall gumby-ish green alien meandering amongst the huu-maans like a reverso-Captain Kirk.

29 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- sounds like you want to radicalize and take direct action. For what it's worth, I walked (as an observer only) in a Black Lives Matter march and was impressed by the leadership of the organizers and the energy of the youth. If I had been with them as a true believer, contributing to their efforts, I'd have been satisfied regardless of impact (if I were twenty- or thirty-something).

Contextualize the observer part if you would.

1 minute ago, JGP said:

Contextualize the observer part if you would.

JGP -- as an (obscured) observer my intention was to 1) understand their position, 2) measure organizational will and skill and, 3) determine the strength of their opposition. My takeaways were that their beliefs were genuine and well-intentioned; professionally organized and motivated; and, unopposed by any serious opposition. This march was conducted in a large urban center, but politically balanced, so they assumed some risk.

Overall, they were tools; but in my opinion, their holistic (progressive) end-state will be realized in the US.

2 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- as an (obscured) observer my intention was to 1) understand their position, 2) measure organizational will and skill and, 3) determine the strength of their opposition. My takeaways were that their beliefs were genuine and well-intentioned; professionally organized and motivated; and, unopposed by any serious opposition. This march was conducted in a large urban center, but politically balanced, so they assumed some risk.

Overall, they were tools; but in my opinion, their holistic (progressive) end-state will be realized in the US.

"They have a...remarkable ability to express their differences without resorting. To. Violence."

"Aye, Captain, and perhaps one day humanity will be able to say the same sir."

"Sooner than you think. MR. Checkov. Sooner than you think..."

[Created by Gene Roddenberry...]

10 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

So, you've retired from the military and what then, went private? Militant shit? What.

29 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

I cannot be blamed that, the way you described this, I pictured like an 8 foot tall gumby-ish green alien meandering amongst the huu-maans like a reverso-Captain Kirk.

Fire and Jace -- you have no idea. I was still active duty at the time and believe me, I did not fit in despite wearing civilian clothes. No one engaged me during the march, but I got stares. Towards the end of the march I peeled away and went drinking, hahaha. On another mini-adventure, I'd been approached by people who thought I was a federal officer; amusing, but unnerving :leer:

25 minutes ago, JGP said:

So, you've retired from the military and what then, went private? Militant shit? What.

JGP -- nah, retired early; unemployable. My need for adventure is satisfied; though, if the PRC expands against US interests, I'll likely be activated. Until then, my game is and will remain pecuniary, which should explain my interest in Elon, the God Emperor, and Uncle Joe.

If Twitter is so important for marginalized people then surely we shouldn't all leave it just because Musk is relaxing moderation?  Non English twitter has never really been moderated very much anyway, except for major European languages. I remember Twitter during the Syrian civil war and you could pretty much write whatever in Arabic  as long as you weren't an open ISIS acount ,so I think us English speakers can deal. Just use the block button. 

18 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

JGP -- nah, retired early; unemployable. My need for adventure is satisfied; though, if the PRC expands against US interests, I'll likely be activated. Until then, my game is and will remain pecuniary, which should explain my interest in Elon, the God Emperor, and Uncle Joe.

I figured after your previous post, but not the unemployable part. Why's that?

35 minutes ago, Darzin said:

If Twitter is so important for marginalized people then surely we shouldn't all leave it just because Musk is relaxing moderation?  Non English twitter has never really been moderated very much anyway except for major European languages. I remember Twitter during the Syrian civil war and you could pretty much write whatever in Arabic  as long as you weren't an open ISIS acount so I think us English speaker can deal just use the block button. 

Feels like society is always drifting between norms, and here's two big sea changes back to back. The relief, or, I don't know, renewed faith of the midterms, and now all this bullshit. You describe these communities in a very abstract way. Sometimes its only their rallying that gets anything done, but many of them brave ridiculous vitriol and disdain, even targeted hate, for their activism on the platform. I don't know what it's like in general in the US, but in CA disability support is negligent to the point of criminality. This is valuable.

But with Trump back to whatever extent, MAGA engorged on MEs, states enacting policy against rights activating education, protections striped away, persecuted ffs, I'd kick Trump so hard in the fucking balls it be worth whatever beating I caught from his security.   

Have I stated I dislike Trump.

I really fucking hate him, and everything he simps for.

7 hours ago, Fire and Jace said:

YAAAS!

****QUALIFIED*** Shared Congratulations!!!!

* qualified because, as I have ranted previous, the fact that this criminal's provisional access to what has become colloquialy seen as the town square is such a big issue raises serious concerns about the kind of systems we are allowing to moderate our interactions with one another no matter the political ideology of the exploiting interest*****

But as long as Twitter is seen as a place of free speech then his freech should be chee.

FREEEEEEEEEEDDDDDUUUUUUUMM

Though it had nothing to do with principles and everything to do with trying to save Twitter. He would have been unbanned on day 1 once Elon sprayed his musk all over Twitter if it was about principles.

7 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

He was banned for impersonation - not specifying the word 'parody' in both his display name and bio. Need to have 'parody' in both not just 1

Probably several people have said so already, but this free-speech absolutism of Elon is quite something to behold.

If anything, is shows him to be quite the shallow thinker. 

Archived