Twitter 2: Tweet harder

Derfel Cadarn

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

For me, it was when he had a former employee swatted for turning safety whistleblower.

I don't think I knew about that one; though I'm sure there are plenty of examples before I noticed - and he ALWAYS seemed like he was destined for James Bond Villainhood - but mostly in jest

5 hours ago, felice said:

Too siloed how?

Some servers, sure. Is there any site that doesn't have moderation issues of one kind or another? Twitter certainly wasn't one even before the Muskpocalypse. At least with Mastodon you have the option of choosing a server that does have good moderation, however you personally define that - there's never going to be universal agreement!

It's many different things. A thread discussing instances with non-white admins/mods: https://anticapitalist.party/@serenissima/109379407400439772

You have some points, and I haven’t fucked with Mastodon yet. Perhaps it was unfair to assert so confidently, I’ve just seen so many threads by Black and racialized activists I follow that have run afoul of Mastodon mods and been banned, for (as they’ve said, anyway) fairly tame sjw posts.

Siloed in that there are so many servers, each having their own mods teams (if there’s even more than one) with little consistency between them.

Mastodon is like the burbs, or ‘White flight from Twitter,’ as I’ve seen it referred to multiple times. I mean, even if that’s not indicative of the whole, sounds like a lot of corners where our fellow whites just want to be …comfortable… which is one of the reasons I love Twitter so much, because it isn’t.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist but I have genuinely wondered if Musk is trashing Twitter on purpose, for whatever reason. His actions are almost inexplicable otherwise.

But then again the man seems to think he's cooler than Trent Reznor so maybe he is just mad. 

He definitely got bent about it, that’s for sure, suggesting Reznor’s bag might be more suited to Etsy. Like gtfo lol

To your first point, there’s been snips that are allegedly from some chat between Musk, one of his ex wives, and someone else, where she more or less asks him to buy and destroy Twitter. No idea how to verify that, but… (spreads hands)

Meh, that really is a conspiracy theory. Any fuck ups are purely the result of bad management style, not on purpose. 

Some things I do think are on purpose however is that Musk is clearly riling people up as a way of creating traction on the platform and bringing attention to what is happening on there. He's also testing things out to see what works and what breaks, and so a lot of things are breaking in real time. I just don't think he especially cares about that because current form Twitter is not that interesting to him, the destination is almost certain his 'Everything' WeChat / X app. The Trump poll is basically a test, he seems to be consistently testing his 'Community Notes' crowdsourced regulation system by just making outrageous statements too. 

I also don't think he gives that much of a shit about losing such a large percentage of his workforce. Twitter wasn't profitable and a large chunk of its costs are personnel costs. The entire tech industry is watching to see what happens because if Twitter can pretty much survive on a bare bones staff level and automate most of the stuff humans were doing then they will be wanting to do the same. Ditching a number of non useful staff, "Hall Monitors", Blue Haired HR screamers and "the Borg" might not be the worst thing in the world and I'm sure a lot of tech companies are very keen to get rid of these type of outrage merchants. 

Clearly Musk is a bit of a lunatic, but I also think it's pretty naive to think there is no reason to the madness. It's also plain dumb to think it's a conspiracy to bring down Twitter. 

5 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

He should also be fairly credited as the one who showed the world what an electric car can be - fast, beautiful and useful

I can agree with most what you say, but where are those things beautiful? It's difficult to spend so much money on a more ugly car. It's just such a weird and at the same time boring shape 

Ymmv of course 

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I also don't think he gives that much of a shit about losing such a large percentage of his workforce. Twitter wasn't profitable and a large chunk of its costs are personnel costs. The entire tech industry is watching to see what happens because if Twitter can pretty much survive on a bare bones staff level and automate most of the stuff humans were doing then they will be wanting to do the same. Ditching a number of non useful staff, "Hall Monitors", Blue Haired HR screamers and "the Borg" might not be the worst thing in the world and I'm sure a lot of tech companies are very keen to get rid of these type of outrage merchants. 

Clearly Musk is a bit of a lunatic, but I also think it's pretty naive to think there is no reason to the madness. It's also plain dumb to think it's a conspiracy to bring down Twitter

@Mlle. Zabzie

Isn’t Musk’s debt service on this purchase more than a Billion a year… doesn’t Twitter make significantly less than a Billion a year?  Doesn’t Musk have to worry about serious regulatory action against Twitter based on his moderation changes from the EU?  If the EU flips the kill switch on twitter access in the EU doesn’t that further strangle Twitter’s cash flow?  

Obviously, Musk is a very wealthy man but what effect would a Twitter fold have on him personally?

It's not just GDPR, but an entire host of other laws and regulations that come with being a global company. Section 230 is law in the US, but not in other countries.

A good example I've seen: someone from Turkey contacts you with an official-looking warrant, demanding access to some guy's private messages. How do you know if the warrant is real, or if the person contacting you is who he says he is? Will you violate Turkish law if you refuse? Will you violate Turkish law if you accept? Will you violate any US laws if you do either? There was a guy in the company who knew the answers but he was fired for being "non useful", who do you ask now?

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is something I thought was interesting about how the financial situation might not be what it seems. This guy might be wildly incorrect but it at least is a different viewpoint 

lol

Yeah the idea that you can just assume there will be no revenue impact from massive staff cuts and a dramatic change in the advertising value of Twitter because they haven't reported falling revenue yet is really quite an idea. It's been 2 weeks.

So many unprofitable tech companies have just teams and teams of *checks notes* leftist losers.

It is known.

Well, not known, but it is posited without evidence by a Right Wing culture chud.

His profile though:

'I am here to give you back your future. Human flourishing in the coming post-liberal west. The hour is late, and Moloch is within the gates. Foundationalism.'

[child-like grin] 

Ah god, save us.

6 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I know that, of course, and I never claimed or believed that he invented those things. But he did come with a vision and he did put his money where his mouth was. He invested much of his PayPal fortune into SpaceX, which very nearly went bankrupt after a series of failed booster landings. 

He should also be fairly credited as the one who showed the world what an electric car can be - fast, beautiful and useful. Expensive, sure, but there’s a market for that. He insisted on building a network of fast chargers so that Tesla owners could travel across the US and Europe without problems. Those were good decisions that accelerated the adoption of electric cars by years if not decades (my guess). 

Where they good decisions? For his business, sure. But not for practicality, its the iphone business model, you have to get the tesla (elite car) and can only charge it on their chargers. I think thats like THE thing that musk did for the design of the tesla.

He is not an inventor, he doesnt care about the interest if the people or the well being of the planet. He is a billionaire (cuz his dad had  a loot of money) an  investor, a venture capitalist, not a guy with good ideas for the world, just for himself.

50 minutes ago, Gorn said:

It's not just GDPR, but an entire host of other laws and regulations that come with being a global company. Section 230 is law in the US, but not in other countries.

A good example I've seen: someone from Turkey contacts you with an official-looking warrant, demanding access to some guy's private messages. How do you know if the warrant is real, or if the person contacting you is who he says he is? Will you violate Turkish law if you refuse? Will you violate Turkish law if you accept? Will you violate any US laws if you do either? There was a guy in the company who knew the answers but he was fired for being "non useful", who do you ask now?

C'mon, he had blue hair and proably pronouns!

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

This is something I thought was interesting about how the financial situation might not be what it seems. This guy might be wildly incorrect but it at least is a different viewpoint 

Is that more than a Billion dollars a year in profit?

3 minutes ago, JGP said:

His profile though:

'I am here to give you back your future. Human flourishing in the coming post-liberal west. The hour is late, and Moloch is within the gates. Foundationalism.'

[child-like grin] 

Ah god, save us.

Hey, this total whacko is probably wrong - he huffs glue, wears an American flag for a diaper, and has some ideas about "accelerationism" -- but what if he's right?

Christ, what a plague on my browser history that chud is.

Archived