US Politics: The Copper, Silver, and Peach hangover

Ormond

10 hours ago, Fez said:

There's been talk of passing a very large Ukraine aid bill in the lame duck, perhaps enough to cover the next two years. I wouldn't worry too much about Ukraine funding.

The really worry, as ever, is the debt ceiling. Democrats need to defuse that issue in the lame duck as well, and, unlike Ukraine funding, there's no guarantee that McConnell will go along with it.

Been thinking about this, and even if it'd only be cold political calculus, I'd bet money that McConnell will.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I missed the big Trump announcement. It was a subject of commentary on various FB posts. One thing I saw pointed by posters on both sides - but mostly those on the Right - was they thought Trump looked ill. As in physically sick.

I hope he doesn’t die—last thing we need is people thinking he’s a Martyr and killing people to avenge him

12 hours ago, Fez said:

There's been talk of passing a very large Ukraine aid bill in the lame duck, perhaps enough to cover the next two years. I wouldn't worry too much about Ukraine funding.

The really worry, as ever, is the debt ceiling. Democrats need to defuse that issue in the lame duck as well, and, unlike Ukraine funding, there's no guarantee that McConnell will go along with it.

Wouldn't consider screwing with the debt ceiling to be problematic. They tried that during the Obama years (lead by lying Ted on this issue), and (surprise!) it proved to be a bad idea for Republicans - it was Cruz idea afterall. They were rightly blamed for the shutdown and everything connected to it. Doubt they will go there again. Ofc, if the orange troll in Florida is screaming loud enough, that might change. But fundamentally, it's really not something the turtle is pushing for. 

10 hours ago, Darzin said:

Trump just called for killing all drug dealers and praised China and Xi by name. He said Xi told him about quick trials, same day trial same day execution, which he seemed favorable too. 

Sounds like a lot of Americans I’ve met when I used to go on cruises. (The quick trials and executions, not praise for dictators, other than “the commies do some things right”)  And sometimes they even added that it would be a quick way to clean out the criminal element in the black community.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

McConnell has proven multiple times that if you call his bluff on the debt ceiling, he will fold.  Including twice last year.

Only at the nearly last minute though, well after Treasury has started its "emergency measures", which we're still pretty far from. Last I saw, the current limit should last until around July 2023. He likes/needs to seem like he only folded because there was no choice anymore, and it seems like that'll be the case again this time:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/16/lame-duck-debt-ceiling-deal-00067123

The White House has largely given up hope of Congress raising the nation’s debt limit during the lame-duck session that runs through late December, increasing the risk of a highly partisan, market-rattling fiscal confrontation next year.

Senior administration officials see little chance of attracting any Republican votes for a bipartisan debt limit hike during the short session. And they don’t believe they have the 50 Democratic Senate votes needed to slam through a hike using the budget reconciliation process that would allow them to avoid a Republican filibuster.

Ivanka Trump on dad's announcement night: I'm done with politics
"I am choosing to priorit

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/15/ivanka-trump-done-with-politics-00067450

Ivanka Trump, daughter of former President Donald Trump and a political adviser in his administration, doesn’t plan to be involved in politics “going forward,” she wrote Tuesday evening on Instagram.

“While I will always love and support my father, going forward I will do so outside the political arena,” Ivanka Trump said. Her statement came the same evening that the former president announced his plans to un for president again.

Things I didnt expect to read: Mormon church voices support for Senate bill to protect gay marriage | LGBTQ+ rights | The Guardian

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has voiced support for a Senate bill which would protect same-sex marriage, saying LGBTQ+ individuals are entitled to rights even while affirming its belief that same-sex relationships are a sin.

“The doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints related between a man and a woman is well-known and will remain unchanged.” the church said in a statement on Tuesday.

“We are grateful for the continuing efforts of those who work to ensure the Respect for Marriage Act includes appropriate religious freedom protections while respecting the law and preserving the rights of our LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters.”

It's a bit of a word salad, but maybe all of this is just to provide Romney some cover for him to support the bill?

40 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Things I didnt expect to read: Mormon church voices support for Senate bill to protect gay marriage | LGBTQ+ rights | The Guardian

It's a bit of a word salad, but maybe all of this is just to provide Romney some cover for him to support the bill?

I doubt if this has anything to do with Romney. It probably has more to do with the LDS leadership realizing it has to be less stringent on this issue in order to keep its own younger generations within the church.

Per Politico the Biden admin appears to be having no luck with doing anything in the lame duck. The typical expected people are balking at doing anything particularly useful via reconciliation and Republicans are shockingly not interested in helping out. 

Archived