US Politics: The Copper, Silver, and Peach hangover

Ormond

27 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm surprised at Toomey being a 'No' in the end. Also surprised by Lummis being a yes

Not surprised Toomey voted no, am very surprised Lummis voted yes.  Generally pleasantly surprised they got 12 GOP votes.  That's great for Baldwin.  Almost wonder if they can get any of those other lingering bills through the lame duck.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I hear (from Twitter) that one of the PA seats the Dems won the candidate actually died in October.  So it might end up being a 101-101 tie until that seat can be filled.  I would assume it's a fairly blue district if a dead man won it though.

In NH, some people are speculating that if it is decided in a vote, then the Republican will surely win because they control the Senate and have more votes at the moment in the house (200 vs 199).  So hopefully they go with something more fair and probably more arbitrary, like drawing pieces of paper from a bowl like VA did to determine who controlled the state legislature in 2017 (the Republican won).

Yeah, the PA-32 district. The dead guy got 85% of the vote, but against a Green party candidate with no Republican running. From what I've read it is a very blue district though. I don't know how the tie gets handled until then. There's also the issue that two other Democrats need to very shortly resign from the House, Summer Lee because she was elected to Congress and Austin Davis who was just elected Lt. Gov. I guess both of them ran in two races. Anyway their resignations will both trigger special elections as well. 

I saw speculation that both would cast votes on January 3rd to make a Democrat the state house speaker before resigning, but I don't know how that works the dead guy or what the loss of the majority until the special elections would mean. Also, Summer Lee would need to very quickly get from Harrisburg to DC to get sworn in to Congress since that Speaker vote is also on January 3rd. Although I guess that only really matters if the margin in the House is tight enough that Democrats are getting up to some mischief.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I hear (from Twitter) that one of the PA seats the Dems won the candidate actually died in October.  So it might end up being a 101-101 tie until that seat can be filled.  I would assume it's a fairly blue district if a dead man won it though.

In NH, some people are speculating that if it is decided in a vote, then the Republican will surely win because they control the Senate and have more votes at the moment in the house (200 vs 199).  So hopefully they go with something more fair and probably more arbitrary, like drawing pieces of paper from a bowl like VA did to determine who controlled the state legislature in 2017 (the Republican won).

Maybe the voters thought that a corpse would do a better Jon than the average assemblyman.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

So hopefully they go with something more fair and probably more arbitrary, like drawing pieces of paper from a bowl like VA did to determine who controlled the state legislature in 2017 (the Republican won).

I hear god's a skeeball fanatic. Seems fair enough.

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I know it is a fierce competition, but while he's not as damaging as McConnell, nor as two-faced as Graham, nor as slimy as Cruz, I think that Ron Johnson might be the Senator I loathe the most.  What a scumbag. 

I'm still pissed that a good Senator like Feingold got replaced by absolute trash like Johnson. And I'm damn bitter that he's managed to keep crawling back to the Senate ever since. I would definitely like a word with all the people who voted for Tony Evers for governor but either crossed to vote for Johnson or left their ballots empty with Barnes.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, mcbigski said:

Lol.  Are you guys just performing or actually on pins and needles how 4 day later totals come out?  Pro tip, unless Lake actually won by 65%+, it Hobbs.  Senate stays D.  House will probably stay D too.

If a coin comes up tails 20 times in a row, what do you expect the next outcome to be?

So democrats aren’t taking the house after taking losses in states democrats have strong control over(NY and CA).

Can you acknowledge that’s a pretty strong hint they’re not rigging elections? 

Like you have to understand that they’d have the opportunity to neuter any conservative movement for years with control of the house and a 51 seat senate.

Or is your outrage just a performance to hide your disdain towards democratic-Republicanism? 

5 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I'm still pissed that a good Senator like Feingold got replaced by absolute trash like Johnson. And I'm damn bitter that he's managed to keep crawling back to the Senate ever since. I would definitely like a word with all the people who voted for Tony Evers for governor but either crossed to vote for Johnson or left their ballots empty with Barnes.

Not this Wisconsin voter. I won't claim Barnes was the absolute strongest candidate that could have gone up against Johnson.  But he was so much better than a lot of others. 

Apropos of nothing, but there were a number of homes in my neighborhood that would have a Johnson sign up, but not one for Michels. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Not this Wisconsin voter. I won't claim Barnes was the absolute strongest candidate that could have gone up against Johnson.  But he was so much better than a lot of others. 

What I find so depressing is that he beat Feingold, a great person and public servant, TWICE. Fuck Wisconsin. 

Also, remind your fellow cheap beer swilling fools that the Vikings are 8-1 while the Packers look like shit and A.A.Ron is washed. 

Karen Bass will be the first woman to be mayor of LA. She's very much earned it and I can wait to talk to my fam out there about what it means to them, especially my step-brother's long time partner who is a woman of color and super active in LA politics. While she's not much of a drinker, I wouldn't be surprised if she's having a drink this morning with a grin on her face. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What I find so depressing is that he beat Feingold, a great person and public servant, TWICE. Fuck Wisconsin. 

Also, remind your fellow cheap beer swilling fools that the Vikings are 8-1 while the Packers look like shit and A.A.Ron is washed. 

Oh I'm perfectly content to remind Packers fans how they stand this year. Mind you, most of them are likely responsible for RoJo yet again...

Republican House majority has a message for 'woke' big business: Get out of politics

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/11/16/republican-house-warning-woke-business/10711866002/

In September, the American Conservative Union sent a “woke congressional leadership pledge” to GOP lawmakers seeking endorsements for leadership posts.

“The first step to earn our support is a new shared strategy to reprimand corporations that have gone woke,” the letter read.

The organization that puts on the annual Republican gathering, the Conservative Political Action Conference, called on lawmakers to punish corporations with “radical left policies” such as paying travel costs for employee abortions, supporting the Black Lives Matter movement or promoting “radical gender theory and gender modification onto our children.” 

“With new, conservative majorities, these same corporate woke elitists will be back on Capitol Hill, trying to cozy back up to conservatives,” it warned. “CPAC calls on you to take a stand and not allow this to happen without a renunciation of woke policies.”

The GOP, once the party of big business, has unfriended it. 

In recent months, Republicans have intensified their pressure campaign to stop corporate America from taking liberal stands, with punitive measures ranging from boycotts to legislation to shareholder fights.

Now that Republicans have regained control of the House, key conservative figures are threatening political consequences. ....

.... Georgia GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene has pledged that corporations that cut off GOP politicians who supported former President Donald Trump's claims of a "stolen" 2020 election would face congressional investigations.

“That’s not going to be forgotten,” Greene said on Steve Bannon's War Room last month. "There are going to be investigations coming." ....

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Apropos of nothing, but there were a number of homes in my neighborhood that would have a Johnson sign up, but not one for Michels. 

I used to assume Johnson was just lucky; he swept in on the red wave of 2010 and was buoyed by Trump winning the state in 2016. The fact that he won again this year, even as Evers also won, tells me that no, he's not just lucky; he's got his finger on the pulse of what a majority of Wisconsin voters want.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I used to assume Johnson was just lucky; he swept in on the red wave of 2010 and was buoyed by Trump winning the state in 2016. The fact that he won again this year, even as Evers also won, tells me that no, he's not just lucky; he's got his finger on the pulse of what a majority of Wisconsin voters want.

Hmmm...still feels a little lucky.  His entire campaign versus Barnes was rooted in scaremongering and essentially as blatantly racist as a campaign can be...yeah, no, maybe you're right about knowing what so many Cheese heads want...

Honestly, the guy is possibly the worst Senator, and Hawley is still seated...

1 hour ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Didn't your Supreme Court rule that corporations, as associations of citizens, have first amendment rights just like citizens?

No.  They ruled that the shareholders rights flowed through to the corporations and that it is the real individuals who control the corporations whose rights are at issue.

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So democrats aren’t taking the house after taking losses in states democrats have strong control over(NY and CA).

Can you acknowledge that’s a pretty strong hint they’re not rigging elections? 

Like you have to understand that they’d have the opportunity to neuter any conservative movement for years with control of the house and a 51 seat senate.

Or is your outrage just a performance to hide your disdain towards democratic-Republicanism? 

The fact that the Republicans were permitted to win the House, narrowly, just goes to show how cunning the Democratic vote-riggers are.

Archived