US Politics: The Copper, Silver, and Peach hangover

Ormond

Nancy Pelosi will not seek a leadership role in the next Congress.

Speaker Pelosi won't seek leadership role in next Congress, plans to keep her House seat (omaha.com)

This was something I was expecting. I thought I had actually seen somewhere a while ago that she said she would not run for Speaker again, whether or not the Democrats controlled the House. 

19 minutes ago, Ormond said:

This was something I was expecting. I thought I had actually seen somewhere a while ago that she said she would not run for Speaker again, whether or not the Democrats controlled the House. 

The tacit agreement when the Dems took over the House in 2018 was she would only serve two more terms as Speaker/leader.  However, I suspect if the Dems somehow kept the House, she would have wanted to stay on as Speaker.  Now that the Dems are going back into the minority, this makes sense for everybody.

It's sad to me, honestly, especially with what happened to her husband. I know that's not why she's doing it but it feels like letting the assholes win. 

She has been one of the most effective House speakers that the US has ever had, and has done incredibly well under very challenging circumstances. The democratic party is going to be worse without her leadership. 

Well, I think at this point she views anything other than the Speakership as beneath her.  And she should.  Regardless of the agreement in 2018, she's very much going out on her own terms.  If she wanted to run for minority leader she almost certainly wouldn't have been challenged.

52 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

It's sad to me, honestly, especially with what happened to her husband. I know that's not why she's doing it but it feels like letting the assholes win. 

She has been one of the most effective House speakers that the US has ever had, and has done incredibly well under very challenging circumstances. The democratic party is going to be worse without her leadership. 

Being an effective public servant means grooming and making way for the next generation.  She has been hugely effective, and retiring gracefully is the right thing to do.  Others (ehem, ehem, Dianne Feinstein) should learn from her example. 

I believe this will be the first time since 1960 that either party's House and Senate leader are both elected from the same state. Back then it was Sam Rayburn and LBJ, who were both elected from Texas.

Not sure it'll mean that much, except that hopefully it'll mean a lot more campaign funding flowing in to fix the New York state party and to flip back the House districts that were lost there this year.

Agreed, she's not going out in disgrace, it's just time and she knows it. Her legacy is ironclad. 

Meanwhile the news box is saying McCarthy doesn't have the Speakership in the bag. Is legacy has less value than bat shit in Ace Venture 2. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  They ruled that the shareholders rights flowed through to the corporations and that it is the real individuals who control the corporations whose rights are at issue.

So, in this case, the corporations are promoting 'woke' ideas. Wouldn't censoring corporations from expressing those ideas not be infringing on the rights of the shareholders who control the corporations?

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

I believe this will be the first time since 1960 that either party's House and Senate leader are both elected from the same state. Back then it was Sam Rayburn and LBJ, who were both elected from Texas.

Not sure it'll mean that much, except that hopefully it'll mean a lot more campaign funding flowing in to fix the New York state party and to flip back the House districts that were lost there this year.

Hakeem Jeffries is the product of the NY state party; I highly doubt he'll help fix what needs to be fixed.

19 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Being an effective public servant means grooming and making way for the next generation.  She has been hugely effective, and retiring gracefully is the right thing to do.  Others (ehem, ehem, Dianne Feinstein) should learn from her example. 

I agree, I just hate the timing of it with Paul's attack. But that's just how the US works now. 

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

Really glad to see Hoyer and Clyburn follow Pelosi's lead and step aside for the next generation.  Jeffries should make a great leader and was definitely my preference.  Clark and Aguilar as numbers two and three are also solid and should appease most of the caucus.  Maybe offer Jayapal or another CPC member Caucus Chair.

I view Speaker Pelosi not seeking another term of leadership, while still holding her seat, as a well earned break . Like Secretariat after the racing career. Nothing to prove, I did mine, im strolling here.

Now its your turn to follow my example thank you very much. Its very much a cherishment for some elders to get there, not a mournful moment at all really.

Is Nancy Pelosi the most impactful woman in the history of American politics?  I can't really think of anyone else to hold up against her.  Hillary Clinton was never this powerful and none of the first ladies compare. 

EDIT:  Perhaps the sufragettes like Susan B. Anthony?  I could see that.

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Is Nancy Pelosi the most impactful woman in the history of American politics?  I can't really think of anyone else to hold up against her.  Hillary Clinton was never this powerful and none of the first ladies compare. 

Considering she's the most impactful Speaker/leader since Rayburn I don't think it's really a competition.  The suffragettes split each others' votes.

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

EDIT:  Perhaps the sufragettes like Susan B. Anthony?  I could see that.

IMO the only real competition is Frances Perkins, FDR's Secretary of Labor for his entire presidency. Among her accomplishments, she:

• Was the first female cabinet member, and 4th longest lasting cabinet member in US history
  • Wrote an awful lot of the New Deal, including leading the committee that designed the Social Security Act
  • Kept the US workforce smoothly operating throughout World War II, getting deals in place with unions to prevent strikes and policies created for women entering the workforce for the first time.
  • "Creatively administered" the US immigration service (which was within DoL at the time) to get ~300,000 additional refugees from '30s Germany admitted to the US beyond what the quotas at the time allowed

Something I started thinking about months ago (and mentioned a time or three here) but now could be a game changer - or maybe create Hell's own mess.

We went into the 2022 midterms with three vacant House seats, all of the republican - I think. All of those vacancies, from either death or resignation from criminal conviction, came about in the past year.

Right now, depending on how the counts in the final races go, the republicans are looking at one of the slimmest House majorities ever. So, say, the D's more or less 'sweep the board' with the remaining House races - not altogether impossible, leaving the republicans with like a two seat House majority.

Then suppose the trend of republican deaths/resignations from criminal activity continues.

Temporary House flip back to the D's through sheer attrition? Or do they just pretend the republicans still retain the House majority despite this?

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

What about Lady Gaga? :D

On a more serious note. I'd throw in Rosa Parks's name into the ring. There are probably one or two names of female leaders of the civil rights movement, but that's for people more familiar with American History of the 20th century. @Zorral

Edit: And no, Klobuchar is not that impactful, Ty. 

10 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Something I started thinking about months ago (and mentioned a time or three here) but now could be a game changer - or maybe create Hell's own mess.

We went into the 2022 midterms with three vacant House seats, all of the republican - I think. All of those vacancies, from either death or resignation from criminal conviction, came about in the past year.

Right now, depending on how the counts in the final races go, the republicans are looking at one of the slimmest House majorities ever. So, say, the D's more or less 'sweep the board' with the remaining House races - not altogether impossible, leaving the republicans with like a two seat House majority.

Then suppose the trend of republican deaths/resignations from criminal activity continues.

Temporary House flip back to the D's through sheer attrition? Or do they just pretend the republicans still retain the House majority despite this?

This kind of speculation made a lot more sense a week ago.  It looks like the Republicans will have either a 222-213 or 221-214 lead.  If you're really optomistic you could say one of the remaining unlikely races takes a turn and the Dems get to 215, but even then, that's a 5 vote cushion, not likely to be impacted by deaths or resignations. 

Boebert's lead in CO3 is down to 723 votes after county reporting overseas/cured/provisonal ballots today. There's still a few counties left to report, but Pueblo is in, so no expected big sources of Democratic votes are left. Seems extremely unlikely that a recount flips a lead that large. So this is a near certain Republican hold now, putting them at 219 in the House. A 221-214 final tally seems most likely.

57 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On a more serious note. I'd throw in Rosa Parks's name into the ring. There are probably one or two names of female leaders of the civil rights movement, but that's for people more familiar with American History of the 20th century. @Zorral

Welcome to a sliding doors history lesson my German friend:

Edit: And no, Klobuchar is not that impactful, Ty. 

She'd still beat the shit out of you with a binder and then make you clean off her comb because you forgot to bring her a fork.

Archived