US Politics: The Copper, Silver, and Peach hangover

Ormond

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Boebert's lead in CO3 is down to 723 votes after county reporting overseas/cured/provisonal ballots today. There's still a few counties left to report, but Pueblo is in, so no expected big sources of Democratic votes are left. Seems extremely unlikely that a recount flips a lead that large. So this is a near certain Republican hold now, putting them at 219 in the House. A 221-214 final tally seems most likely.

615 now

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Boebert's lead in CO3 is down to 723 votes after county reporting overseas/cured/provisonal ballots today. There's still a few counties left to report, but Pueblo is in, so no expected big sources of Democratic votes are left. Seems extremely unlikely that a recount flips a lead that large. So this is a near certain Republican hold now, putting them at 219 in the House. A 221-214 final tally seems most likely.

557 now.

‘Positively dystopian’: Florida judge blocks DeSantis’ anti-woke law for colleges
A judge determined policies from the law violate First Amendment free speech protections along with due-process rights in the 14th Amendment on college campuses.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/17/florida-anti-woke-law-block-colleges-education-00069252

In his ruling Thursday, Walker determined those policies violate First Amendment free speech protections along with due-process rights in the 14th Amendment on college campuses.

“The law officially bans professors from expressing disfavored viewpoints in university classrooms while permitting unfettered expression of the opposite viewpoints,” wrote Walker. “Defendants argue that, under this Act, professors enjoy ‘academic freedom’ so long as they express only those viewpoints of which the State approves. This is positively dystopian.”

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Is Nancy Pelosi the most impactful woman in the history of American politics?

Any list of the most impactful women in US politics should probably start with Eleanor Roosevelt. Though she didn't hold an elective office, she was nonetheless vastly influential, and not in the least solely due to who her husband happened to be.  Though she did instruct him greatly too.  Not to mention Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Harriet Beecher Stowe.  Yet women were not allowed to hold elective office until very recently, so their political influence was always 'outside.' 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Frisch is now down 543 votes.

Yeah, but there's less than 200 votes to count. So it's over, unless the recount finds a lot of discrepancies. 

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't know a lot about minor US politicians, but her forensic take downs of scumbag CEOs give me the absolute horn. She's fucking relentless. 

I thought california 47 was unwinnable? The west wing lied to me. Sam should have done better. 

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Any list of the most impactful women in US politics should probably start with Eleanor Roosevelt. Though she didn't hold an elective office, she was nonetheless vastly influential, and not in the least solely due to who her husband happened to be.  Though she did instruct him greatly too.  Not to mention Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Harriet Beecher Stowe.  Yet women were not allowed to hold elective office until very recently, so their political influence was always 'outside.' 

Excellent inclusions, I also have a fierce respect for Mother Jones.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know a lot about minor US politicians, but her forensic take downs of scumbag CEOs give me the absolute horn. She's fucking relentless. 

I thought california 47 was unwinnable? The west wing lied to me. Sam should have done better. 

Always love a West Wing reference, and I didnt realize that's where Porter was running. However, I believe since the show aired, the 47th has been reliably Democrat because of D gains in the suburbs, but recent redistricting left it a bit more of a toss up.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Always love a West Wing reference, and I didnt realize that's where Porter was running. However, I believe since the show aired, the 47th has been reliably Democrat because of D gains in the suburbs, but recent redistricting left it a bit more of a toss up.

I mean, Sam obviously should have done better.  Apparently he did so bad the White House was too ashamed to hire him back - which was the stated plan if/when he lost.

Interestingly, the reference actually holds up pretty well after the 2022 redistricting.  The reference is inherently crude, of course - Orange County is split between seven congressional districts, four of which are centered within it.  Of those four, two seats were Republican-dominant when West Wing aired - Porter's seat and the seat currently held by Michelle Steel. 

In 2018, Porter and Harley Rouda became the first Dems to win those previously GOP-leaning districts since literally the year I was born (1985).  At the time, Porter's district was the 45th while Rouda's was the 48th (Rouda lost to Steel in 2020).  Porter's was redistricted to the 47th beginning this cycle - magically making the West Wing reference work.

‘A Crazy Old Man Fighting With Himself’: Can Trump Do to DeSantis What He Did to Bush?
He toppled one Florida governor to a win in 2016. He’ll likely need to do it again to win in 2024.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/11/18/can-trump-take-out-another-florida-governor-00069163

Then again? “Picture them on the debate stage: DeSantis squat, dour and angry, as Trump towers over him physically,” Stipanovich told me. “DeSantis is not without talents, but agility and improvisation are not among them,” he said. “He is an engineer, not an artist.”

“I’d still give the edge to Ron in a head-to-head, but we are way too early,” said former Florida congressman, and former Republican, David Jolly, “for the coronation some are now declaring.”

Hats off to Garland. 

Attorney General Merrick Garland plans to announce Friday that he has appointed a special counsel to oversee investigations into the retention of national defense information at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort and key aspects of the criminal investigation into January 6, 2021, according to a senior Justice Department official.

Both investigations implicate the conduct of Trump, who on Tuesday declared his candidacy in the 2024 presidential race, making him a potential rival of President Joe Biden.

Justice Department officials have been debating for weeks whether to appoint a special counsel, CNN previously reported.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/18/politics/justice-department-trump-special-counsel/index.html

Archived