US Politics: The Copper, Silver, and Peach hangover

Ormond

1 hour ago, Fez said:

If Democrats wanted to play hardball, they could try doing it when a few Republicans are out of town/hospitalized/etc. and Democrats temporarily had 216-214 majority or whatever. And then spend a weekend jamming legislation through before Republicans could get their missing members back to DC. Of course, I assume Senate Republicans would filibuster any such legislation on principle, so it's kinda moot for now. And no way would Democrats go that hard.

Unless it's to raise the debt ceiling or end a shutdown, this really seems more pointless and being jackasses than "playing hardball."  It also should be noted that while McCarthy will try to abolish it - albeit I doubt he has the votes - the House still has proxy voting for the moment.  As long as that sticks it'd almost have to be actual vacancies.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, Fez said:

Is RSV new or something? I'd never heard of it before, but now it seems like tons of people are talking about it. 

I know I’m really late responding to this but up here in Ontario the doctors are really worried about a huge threat this fall from Covid+the flu+RSV. Apparently hospitals are seeing huge increases in the number of children sick with RSV. Medical officials are calling for the return of masks being required when you’re out in public.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I know I’m really late responding to this but up here in Ontario the doctors are really worried about a huge threat this fall from Covid+the flu+RSV.

Yeah this worry is generally widespread - I've seen the media refer to it as the "triple pandemic," which is a great way to scare people.

This info could go in the investments thread, but economics always seem to influence politics so im mentioning it here-

Amazon (AMZN) is preparing to lay off roughly 10,000 employees as soon as this week, The New York Times reported on Monday, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter.

Seems the layoffs are picking up in various industries. Could be a crapola winter for the economy.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Unless it's to raise the debt ceiling or end a shutdown, this really seems more pointless and being jackasses than "playing hardball."  It also should be noted that while McCarthy will try to abolish it - albeit I doubt he has the votes - the House still has proxy voting for the moment.  As long as that sticks it'd almost have to be actual vacancies.

It is pointless, as long as there's a filibuster. But without it, Democrats could force through a whole session's worth of bills in a weekend (DC statehood, Roe law, etc.). So long as they were written in advance and Senate Democrats agreed they would pass them unaltered. Of course that level of negotiation could never be kept secret, so Republicans would be able to be prepare and make sure they always had their members available. And also this just isn't the kind of thing congressional Democrats do.

But if there were actual vacancies that seemed like they'd last months, then maybe Democrats would have the vote. Or of course if they actually won 218 through special elections. But this is almost certainly only relevant if they can get to at least 216 seats. Less than that and there's too big a cushion.

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

McConnell facing a revolt as growing list of Republicans call for delay of leadership elections

The knives are out for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. A parade of right-wing Republican senators are calling for leadership elections to be delayed in a conspicuous threat to McConnell’s continuing leadership of the party.

Late last week, Sens. Ron Johnson, Mike Lee, and Rick Scott were urging their fellow Republicans to sign onto a letter calling for a delay.

“We are all disappointed that a Red Wave failed to materialize, and there are multiple reasons it did not,” the trio wrote in the letter, as reported by Politico. “We need to have serious discussions within our conference as to why and what we can do to improve our chances in 2024.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/11/14/2136007/-McConnell-facing-a-revolt-as-growing-list-of-Republicans-call-for-delay-of-leadership-elections

:D

So the right-wing...of the REPUBLICAN PARTY... senators still think under-performing in elections is because they are not being conservative enough? I guess once you step over that line to being to the right of the right you have to believe in that.

55 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This info could go in the investments thread, but economics always seem to influence politics so im mentioning it here-

Amazon (AMZN) is preparing to lay off roughly 10,000 employees as soon as this week, The New York Times reported on Monday, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter.

Seems the layoffs are picking up in various industries. Could be a crapola winter for the economy.

It very much belongs in the politics thread, since economics is political. Given the intended effect of increasing interest rates is precisely to increase unemployment there is no reason for anyone to be surprised by these announcements / rumours. I guess the interesting bit is that it's starting to happen just after the mid-terms. If the inevitable lay-off wave started happening in October the mid-terms might have been a much better harvest for the Republican party.

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So the right-wing...of the REPUBLICAN PARTY... senators still think under-performing in elections is because they are not being conservative enough? I guess once you step over that line to being to the right of the right you have to believe in that.

I see this on the left too.  It does show real dedication to the cause though.

But, let’s talk about Biden’s meeting with Xi.  Early reporting sounds like the meetings were…constructive enough but inconclusive as usual?  It’s probably geopolitically a net positive that the talks are happening though.

McCarthy must be getting desperate already...

If Democrats had gotten to 218 exactly, liberals would soon enough be cursing the name of Cuellar like they do Manchin (e.g., he is pro-life, the only such House Democrat left, so no Roe law with him as the deciding vote). But he's a longtime party man. 

And Republicans just spent millions trying to beat him, so I imagine he's not feeling particularly friendly anyway.

Trump filing in suit against Twitter compares former president to Galileo
“Most people once believed these to be crackpot ideas; many still do. But crackpot ideas sometimes turn out to be true," Trump's lawyers argued to a federal appeals court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/14/new-trump-suit-against-twitter-compares-former-president-to-galileo-00066802

The brief likens Trump to Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei, who was persecuted by the Catholic Church for promulgating the belief that the Earth revolved around the sun.

45 minutes ago, Fez said:

McCarthy must be getting desperate already...

I hope Cuellar just laughed and laughed endlessly only to tell whomever was on the line he was gonna leak it immediately after he hung up.

Other than abortion, Golden is a better analogue to Manchin in a 218 House than Cuellar.  Albeit I suppose it makes sense to approach the latter considering Golden's race isn't gonna be called for awhile.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s really not funny.

Sometimes it's better to laugh than to cry, and I for one don't plan on letting the likes of Neo-Nazis or the Klan make me feel bad about who I am or fearful of it. 

Well, the Trump emails are getting even more irrational and full of him accusing others of what he is himself guilty of. He of course tells his followers it's his persecutors on the Left who are the ones destroying democracy. And notice how he still describes himself to them as "YOUR President". 

‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌   ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌   ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌   ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌   ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

https://image.email.donaldjtrump.com/lib/fe2d11727364047f731178/m/1/3ac7e374-247c-43ba-b1e3-e829ba1b0523.png

Trump asks Supreme Court to weigh in on Mar-a-Lago classified docs probe

Ck,

The RAID on my Mar-a-Lago home was nothing more than unhinged POLITICAL PERSECUTION against ME, YOUR President.

For six straight years, I’ve been harassed, investigated, defamed, slandered, and persecuted like no one in American history— yet all I have ever wanted, and all we have ever fought for, is to simply
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

I won’t stop fighting - not when the Left is coming after me like never before - but I could use the input of my most trusted supporters, like YOU, Ck.

DO YOU AGREE THE PEOPLE BEHIND THIS WITCH HUNT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE?

YES >>

NO >>

The people behind these savage witch hunts have no shame, no morals, no conscience, and absolutely no respect for the citizens of this country.

Everyone associated with this travesty will go down in history as scoundrels and arsonists who tried to demolish our justice system, shatter our most sacred traditions, and wipe out the very foundations of our democracy – for their own selfish partisan gain.

But no matter what our sick and deranged political establishment throws at me, no matter what they do to me, I will endure their torment and oppression, and I will do it willingly.
They will NEVER get me to stop fighting for you, the American People.

*You have 10 minutes to submit your response.

DO YOU AGREE THE PEOPLE BEHIND THIS WITCH HUNT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE?

YES >>

NO >>

Thank you, 

https://image.email.donaldjtrump.com/lib/fe2d11727364047f731178/m/1/71b0eab1-c86f-4652-a27f-103aa77e88b5.png
Donald J. Trump
45th President of the United States

Take the Survey Now >>

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Well, the Trump emails are getting even more irrational and full of him accusing others of what he is himself guilty of. He of course tells his followers it's his persecutors on the Left who are the ones destroying democracy. And notice how he still describes himself to them as "YOUR President". 

In a game of super trumps (no pun intended). What is better. Personal Jesus or Personal President. 

Philosophical question. Like are you really running a social media company if you have no users?

Are you really in Florida if...[create your own adventure to annoy DMC]. 

Archived