US Politics: The Copper, Silver, and Peach hangover

Ormond

I heard that in Arizona, the ASU students voted something like 96% for Katie Hobbs. That might be the difference in the AZ gov race. Thanks everything good and decent that Gen Z and young Millennials went out and kicked ass in this election. I'm still bitter that we'll have another 6 years of Ron Johnson when Evers and the Attorney General Josh Kaul made it in, (because how the fuck did tens of thousands of people vote for Evers, so much that he skated to reelection, and then either decide "Ron Johnson is my man" or leave the ballot blank on Senator?!), but that's a bitter drop in what is becoming a sea of good news right now.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

Clark just had their latest dump - Laxalt's lead is now down to 798 votes as she won about 17 to 9 thousand.  So about 24k of that 50k from Clark is now left.  Looking very, very good!

ETA:  Washoe update at 11 tonight.  May be able to call it tonight!

Yeah, that's quite a bit bluer than last night's Clark drop. And per Ralston it seems like there's maybe only 3k votes left in the non-Douglas rural counties, which means even less chances for Laxalt to come back

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But the bad news ... Nevada independent had called the Nevada governors race for Lombardo (r).  Fortunately the Dem won the sec state race, so it's not too worrying.  Unfortunate though.

Seems slightly earlier for that call, but almost certainly correct. Still, I'd probably wait to see what the Washoe drop looks like first. Assuming it is right, as you say Dems won the sec state race. And they still control the state legislature, which can serve as a strong counterweight as well. No tightening of voting access for instance.

I mean Lombardo obviously sucks policywise.  But the more I look into him irt election denialism - or rather his lack of statements on it - the less I'm worried about it.  I really don't see him facilitating anything like that just cuz Trump endorsed him.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Is the interview different from this online version?

This is the same thing, second part.  There's a first part too. :cheers:  That's the part where she really gets into the Dem party's screw-ups for Our State.

The R's laid out a climate change plan of sorts should they tale the House. Enough to make me wonder if some sort of bipartisan token climate change measure might pass. 

Republicans lay out climate priorities if they control the House (msn.com)

Rep. Garret Graves of Louisiana, ranking member of the House Select Committee on Climate, and the other Republicans at the summit said the U.S. should not demonize fossil fuels like natural gas and that those types of fuels can can still be part of the energy transition to a cleaner energy system.

---

Graves also said the country needs to invest more in helping communities in areas vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, such as near coastlines, to adapt or become more resilient to the impacts of climate change because the cost of recovering after extreme storms is getting too high.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Yeah, that's quite a bit bluer than last night's Clark drop. And per Ralston it seems like there's maybe only 3k votes left in the non-Douglas rural counties, which means even less chances for Laxalt to come back

I believe he said there's 10k left in rurals which translates to ~3k gain for Laxalt, but with 20k+ each in Clark and Washoe that should be sufficient for CCM to overcome any deficits.

I still havent had a chance to process exactly what the eff happened here in Michigan. The redistricting helped greatly of course, but apart from a few pro-choice rallies during high summer, I didnt really notice this big groundswell of support for the Democrats. I suppose everything happened quietly, from registration of new young voters to them showing up at the polls. 

I will say that the line at my polling location was inordinately long, but I couldnt make out anything from the demographic makeup there. A lot of folks may just have voted by mail anyways.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

make me wonder if some sort of bipartisan token climate change measure might pass. 

No, no, no to this bipartisan, to which like Merlin's owl in The Once and Future King, insisted to Wart, "There is no owl," we here must protest to you, "There is no bipartisanship with the reichlicans."  Or, in our nation's historical fact, there was no bipartisanship with the dixiecrat slaveocracy.  It's war to the knife.

Maricopa just dropped and Hobbs (and Kelly) increased her lead to about 31 thousand.  It will be awesome and a thorough rejection of Trumpism if that psycho loses too!  NBC has called the Kelly race btw.

AP and the networks have called AZ senate for Kelly. Wasserman already called it yesterday, but good to get the bigger confirmations. It's due to the latest 74k vote drop from Maricopa, which was likely to be the most Republican-favorable of the remaining from the county, still being a net gain for Democrats.

In fact, Hobbes even led Lake 54-46 in this batch. With the rest of Maricopa likely to be even more favorable, and the amount of Pima county still out, seems like Hobbes has a very good chance at winning.

What I don't know is what this means for the state legislature. Democrats needed 1 seat to force a tie in the senate and 2 seats to take the majority in the house, but I don't know if there's any realistic path for them to do so still.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Washoe just dropped 10 thousand and change, and CCM only won them with 53 percent.  So that only dropped Laxalts lead to 821 vote.  Alas, will have to wait til tomorrow.

That's a very disappointing number. However, I see that earlier Douglas reported 5.1k ballots; which is why Laxalt's lead had crawled back up to almost 2k pre-Washoe. Very few sources of votes left for him.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

However, I see that earlier Douglas reported 5.1k ballots; which is why Laxalt's lead had crawled back up to almost 2k pre-Washoe. Very few sources of votes left for him.

Yup.  She still should be fine barring a drastic change in these final ballot, but it will be very close. 

Which now has me thinking about what Laxalt's move will be in that case.  Nevada does not have an automatic trigger.  Does he demand a recount?  Considering the margins, it's reasonable and obviously give it to him.  But I'm wondering if he just claims fraud.  So far the concessions have been there even among the crazies.  However with Laxalt and especially Lake - if they lose in these very close races - that's where the headaches should start.

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Is Hobbs doing better or worse than Biden?.

Well, she's currently leading by 1.4%, which is obviously better than Biden's 0.3% margin.  Consequently, yes, she's also outrunning Biden in Maricopa (leading by about 5 percent compared to 2 percent for Biden).  In Pima, she's winning by about 21 percent compared to Biden's 19.  The consistent pattern with the remaining counties is Hobbs is very slightly outperforming Biden in the three other blue counties while very slightly underperforming Biden in the rural red counties.

Of course, let's keep in mind they're still only at 84% of the vote statewide, albeit most of the red rural counties have 95% or more in.

Echoing the disgust of Lake, she must not be given any quarter.

If she thinks for one second she can succeed with stealing an election while all eyes are paying attention, she's got another thing coming.

Latest from The Independent-

4 hours ago  Republican Kari Lake is trying to sow doubt in Arizona's gubernatorial election as Democrat Katie Hobbs extends her lead to 26,979 votes.

eta- Hobbs now up over 31K, it was mentioned earlier.

Archived