Watch, Watched, Watching: November Rain

Ramsay B.

The first episode of EPIX's SAS Rogue Heroes went up w/o cost to AP subscribers. Non-stop action stops for extended emoting. The more the Brit ruling class sends itself up its own chute, the more they hark back to WWII and the more badass, unbeatable and competent the heroes are.

Since it is the beginning of December, the time has finally come for all those Oscar movies...

The one that truly amazed me since premiere in Venice was TÁR. Cate Blanchett is probably the greatest working actor and what she did in TÁR is beyond words. I have no idea who will win the Oscar for Best Actress, but I know who should.

Next was re-watch of Everything Everywhere All At Once. Such beautiful movie with beautiful performances... Eclectic but heart-warming... Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan, especially him, are amazing.

The Fabelmans was... Spielberg's childhood. It wasn't bad, just OKish. Like I watched it and moved on to the next one. Michelle Williams is great actress, but here... IDK, is mediocre the right word. No, I mean she is good, but not that good.

The Woman King... The fact Lupita didn't do it and her reasons why were simply too strong in my brain to enjoy it. And yes, I know it is a fiction, but the way the kids educate themselves these days...

But who truly shined was Danielle Deadwyler in Till. The movie needed a better director and script, but Deadwyler was destroying it. Yes, some criticize it as another black pain story. As a European who had no idea about it, I am rather thankful that they made this movie. 

Recommendation for Triangle of Sadness and Decision to Leave

Looking forward to Banshees, The Whale, Avatar, Empire of Light, Babylon.

Will be opening the awards thread in the following weeks. I remember always having great fun doing so. :D 

Watching SAS Rogue Heroes.

One thing that irks a bit is them portraying Stirling and Mayne as friends (at least initially). Irl apparently, Stirling was very envious of Mayne, was a shit soldier himself, and had himself bigged up after Mayne’s death. 
also speculation Stirling was in part behind Mayne not getting a Victoria Cross

Wow have not looked at this thread in awhile...

On Interstellar, I think it generally gets a bad rap.  The ending is fantastical but..so is 2001's.  That's kind of the point.  IIRC Jonah wanted to end it in a more straightforward manner and Chris overruled him.  I agree with the latter.  The father/daughter thing is the heart of many Nolan films and there's nothing wrong with that.

Pan's Labyrinth was mentioned.  It continues to grow as one of my favorites upon rewatches over the years.

Anyway, came here to ask if anyone actually watched the end of Walking Dead?  Recently read the summary of what happened and kinda interested in finishing it up, but..wouldn't mind any comments from someone who's seen it.

Matrix Resurrections.  Not good by any means, but not nearly as bad as the reviews made it seem.  They should have had Jackson and Weaving, even though their replacements were okay.

Bullet Train.  Quite silly, but still enjoyable.

The Green Knight.  I wanted to like it but it was SO DULL and could not appreciate the cinematography on an airplane.

13 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Irl apparently, Stirling was very envious of Mayne, was a shit soldier himself

I think this come across in the show.

I don't mind a little bit of dramatic licence. Whatever the truth of their relationship, their tetchy friendship certainly works well on screen. It also helps that the actors have good chemistry.

And speaking of dramatic licence, have you met Winston Churchill's son yet? :lol:

This is such a good show. Unashamedly boys' own stuff. It's basically Peaky Soldiers and I feckin' love it.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Pan's Labyrinth was mentioned.  It continues to grow as one of my favorites upon rewatches over the years.

Spoiler

Still confused if the magic was in her head or not, coz escaping eith the chalk stands out. Much like Bateman killing all except Allen in American Psycho...

2 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:
Spoiler

Still confused if the magic was in her head or not, coz escaping eith the chalk stands out. Much like Bateman killing all except Allen in American Psycho...

Spoiler

Speaking of fantastical endings...

I love that ending so much.  I remember my (obviously now ex) girlfriend's reaction to it at the time too.  It was so adorable.  That ending is so perfect.  Is it "real?"  I don't care.  Does it matter?  It should be real.  I wish it was real.  It almost certainly isn't, but the movie made you believe it was.  Or at least hope it was real.  That's what makes it great.

Is anyone else in the UK watching Traitors? I suggested we stick it on and if it was terrible turn it off after five minutes but in fact it is horribly addictive viewing. It's a weird mash up of Big Brother, The Mole, some other show which I thought of during a bout of insomnia but can't remember now, The Weakest Link. 

The Welsh grandmother is giving HUGE Hot Fuzz vibes and I am absolutely loving it.

I hope that they might mix up the voting (banishment) system as it goes on so that people sometimes vote in secret. When you get a group of people to discuss who should be evicted all that happens is that group think/herd mentality thing, where the loudest voices rush in first and steer the rest of the group, the crowd just follows along with the loudest person. I understand that doing it this way leads to drama, shame, aggression, finger-pointing and is good for creating conflict that drives the group dynamic, but it will inevitably lead to the loudest people controlling things. 

I am totally sucked in anyway.

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I think this come across in the show.

I don't mind a little bit of dramatic licence. Whatever the truth of their relationship, their tetchy friendship certainly works well on screen. It also helps that the actors have good chemistry.

And speaking of dramatic licence, have you met Winston Churchill's son yet? :lol:

This is such a good show. Unashamedly boys' own stuff. It's basically Peaky Soldiers and I feckin' love it.

Khaki Blinders, it’s apparently been nicknamed

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I started episode one and stopped watching after 20 minutes. Terrible dialogue and acting. Not even Molina can save this.

I don't have much time these days to watch anything at all, but I tried this when a friend hyped it (before seeing it either). I am right with you. That was just dreadfully bad and I'm glad I never really knew what the show was going to be - going in blind made it easy to reject that shit. Surely someone told them how terrible that first episode was? 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:49 PM, DMC said:

Anyway, came here to ask if anyone actually watched the end of Walking Dead?  Recently read the summary of what happened and kinda interested in finishing it up, but..wouldn't mind any comments from someone who's seen it.

I'm getting there. About three eps into S11. I checked on where I got up to with the comics too. I've read 13 of the 16 books. I'd like to get the last three books, then re-read the whole thing. After that, I'm thinking of selling all the books. Any time I look on Amazon you can't get one of the books for less than about £23. 

I want to be able to compare what happened in the comics and the show now they're both completed. I'll finish watching the show and see how I feel about coughing up £75 to learn how the comic ended. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Isis said:

I'm getting there. About three eps into S11.

Cool, lemme know if/when you do!  I stopped..sometime within season 10?  That season seemed to go on for, like, two years.  I'd have to go back to check exactly.  

As for comparing it to the comic ending, without any spoilers I'll just say it was quite abrupt.  I wouldn't pay to finish it.

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Are the 2 Seven Samurai western remakes worth watching? Just finished the original, the weekend couldnt have started better

The Magnificent Seven from 1960 is worth a watch. The recent one is pretty mediocre, but I guess still worth checking out if you don't have to pay for it.

Underwater is on Hulu. Don't watch it. It's not terrible, but also not worth your time. 

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent feels like a wasted opportunity. All the buzz and it really was a fairly by the numbers movie. It didn’t do anything interesting with the concept at all. It wasn’t really much of a biting send up of Cage, or celebrity or a surreal meta movie.. it was just a standard buddy movie, which yes was good and the chemistry was great, but I was hoping it was going to be something a lot better 

Archived