Watch, Watched, Watching: November Rain

Ramsay B.

Finished Glass Onion. It's certainly fun, but it feels much thinner in terms of its character, everything is pushed a level or two up in absurdity. It's all just a pretty puzzle that is, ultimately, incredibly dumb and stupid but that's sort of the point. It's pretty to look at, though, and there were some funny jokes. I definitely prefer Knives Out, but I thought that film, too, was rather over-rated in relation to the hype over it.

(I will say that Janelle Monáe is excellent in it and I can see why she got some nominations in the critics' awards.)

19 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That's a really good show. One that will hopefully gain recognition as it matures.

That Simcoe fucker is absolutely terrifying.

In these days his home would be in torylandia.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

National Treasure: Edge of History...good? Maybe not in the true sense of the word...yet I'm entertained. 

I watched one episode and I'm entertained as well. I'm a sucker for these types of shows/movies/books though.

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

National Treasure: Edge of History...good? Maybe not in the true sense of the word...yet I'm entertained. 

I tried to like it, but I quit early in the 2nd episode. I'm pretty sure the lead is the definition of a Mary Sue. And then there are various little historical inaccuracies.

And if the treasure is Aztec, not sure why this show is called National Treasure.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I tried to like it, but I quit early in the 2nd episode. I'm pretty sure the lead is the definition of a Mary Sue. And then there are various little historical inaccuracies.

And if the treasure is Aztec, not sure why this show is called National Treasure.

Money? And everyone knows the manifest destiny of the Aztec gold was to become Murikan, no no historical issues at all.

I watched Glass Onion and I greatly enjoyed it. I may prefer Knives Out, but I've seen that movie about 3-4 times, so I caught additional stuff on subsequent watches. I'll want to watch this again. Janelle Monáe was great and Daniel Craig was delightful again. The entire cast was pretty good. The little setup-payoff moments that Rian Johnson always likes to do were solid.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, Ran said:

And as someone shared Mark Kermode's 10 best films of the year list, I saw Catherine, Called Birdy on it and found myself amazed that I had no idea it existed -- never saw a trailer. It can be found, at least in Sweden, on Amazon Prime. It's an adaptation of a YA novel of the same name by writer and director Lena Dunham (she does not perform in the film), and is a rather cheeky medieval comedy about Birdy (aka Catherine), daughter to an impoverished lord with expensive tastes who starts to be convinced that marrying her off will bring in the necessary income to keep himself in Siberian tigers and whatnot. Birdy is played by Bella Ramsey, who played Lyanna Mormont on Game of Thrones and will co-star in The Last of Us, and she is quite charmingly earnest and determined. She's not the only GoT alumni -- I counted at least four others (Paul Kaye, David Bradley, Dean-Charles Chapman, and Ralph Ineson) in named secondary roles.

GoT alumni aside, what about Hot Priest/Moriarty/John Parry as her father! Andrew Scott looked to be having fun in the brief snippet I saw. Though it's my understanding that his character is somewhat rehabbed compared to the book. 

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

GoT alumni aside, what about Hot Priest/Moriarty/John Parry as her father! Andrew Scott looked to be having fun in the brief snippet I saw. Though it's my understanding that his character is somewhat rehabbed compared to the book. 

Perusing a synopsis of the wiki, yeah, the least satisfying stuff in the film comes towards the end -- it gets downright silly, really -- and ties into the bigger changes made to the story by Dunham, both to the character of Birdy's father and the resolution of the plot. Still, I thought it enjoyable, and Andrew Scott was great.

11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Clerks 3

Reveal hidden contents

I grew up watching the original over and over, and seeing Dante killed off hit me right in the feels. /cdn-cgi/mirage/70ec40ebbba248179f13e5ae96688ae1d4708a8d2aa95ea9e323f02368667afb/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_crying.gif

Kevin really leaned into the whole “life is a series of down endings” thing. 

Was the movie even a comedy?  Not sure I laughed once.  

Always on the lookout for good horror movies so I tried Barbarian and Smile, both came out this year. (always seems like you go a few years with no good horror movies then suddenly a bunch come out at once).

Barbarian was a bit weird for my tastes but I'd still recommend it for horror fans. It was very creative.

smile was decent too and more the kind of horror I like, but I felt like the writers were cheating too much.

10 minutes ago, Darryk said:

smile was decent too and more the kind of horror I like, but I felt like the writers were cheating too much.

I loved Smile.  Thought it was ridiculously fun and the ending was awesome.

Also watched Glass Onion.  I don't know if that movie was specifically written to lambast Elon Musk, but if not it came out at the exact perfect moment to feel that way.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

My only gripe with these Knives Out movies is that Daniel Craig feels like such an enabler character, rather than a protagonist. I want to see more of him and his detective skills, but that almost feels incidental at times, he’s just there for other characters to do their stuff. 

Unlike Sherlock Holmes or Hercules Poirot, Blanc isn't meant to be the protagonist. Yet another subversion of the genre, I think.

25 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Unlike Sherlock Holmes or Hercules Poirot, Blanc isn't meant to be the protagonist. Yet another subversion of the genre, I think.

Yeah I get what they are doing with it, it's just he is a fun character and it always feels like a waste to just have him sort of be off to the side of the story all the time.

Archived