Watch, Watched, Watching: November Rain

Ramsay B.

Two shows that I recently binged and stuck in my mind were The Capture on Prime  and The Inside Man on Netflix. The Inside Man has a fascinating cast including Stanley Tucci as a prisoner on Death Row in the US and David Tennant as an Anglican vicar in England. You have to watch to understand how the two lives interact and the chaos that then  ensues.

The Capture was a well done British drama about the perils of deepfake news and the manipulation of people and politicians by those with their own motives. Ron Perelman does do a great villain(?) and the plot twists and turns are delightful.

I just wrapped up the first season of FX's The Terror and started on season 2.  Tonally, I feel like the two seasons are pretty dramatically different with the horror elements of season one being much more capable of being mundane in nature.  Special effects in Season 1 were not great but Jerod Harris more than made up for it.  

"D-Day was a battle. They still had to win the war."

We begin with the Canadians' Regina Rifles going up against a terribly fanatic, effective 12th SS nazi cohort.

Hitler's Last Stand: ep 1 -"D-Day + 32."

4 part documentary.

This episode though, all by itself, tells us so much about how terrifying and horrible it all was for everyone -- except the nazis.  They Canadians have been fighting pretty much non-stop for a month already.  By this time in the war at  least 25% of the casualties are what they called then Battle Fatigue. 

Just the noise alone of non-stop battle of anti-tankers would do it, much less the stress of non-stop battle condition.

Took some doing, but I conditioned my mind to sandbox any details and any affinity I may have harboured for the Silmarillion and LoTR books and its cinema adaptations. Then, over an extended weekend, I binged The Rings of Power aaand did not hate it. I appreciated the high production values and was suitably immersed in the world. The acting was not consistent across the cast but it was serviceable. The writing became increasingly uneven but did not derail the overall positive experience before the season finished. Then at dawn on the fifth day after, I looked to the East and a memory crept back into my mind - and now I'm puzzled at how TRoP will dovetail into what emerges as TLoTR. Oh dear.   

I loved Pinocchio. What an amazing movie. The craft is absolutely outstanding; but about 20 minutes in I got over the uncanny-valley-ness of the animation and got sucked into the characters and story. I may have had something in my eye at the end...

Spoiler

For Walder Fucking Frey!!@#$%

I'm also watching the Harry and Meghan doc and am enjoying quite a bit. Not just for the show but also for the freakout from the English tabloid press. 

Speaking of Guillermo, his Cabinet of Curiosities is worth a look on Netflix.

It's an anthology of spooky stories, each about an hour long. The series starts off okay, but really kicks into gear in episode five, which is an adaptation of H P Lovecraft's short story, Pickman's Model.

Starring Crispin Glover, and the brother-in-law bloke from season 1 of Westworld, it's excellent.

They should have put this episode first, though there is another story, The Outside, which is really, really weird (in a good way). I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

47 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Speaking of Guillermo, his Cabinet of Curiosities is worth a look on Netflix.

It's an anthology of spooky stories, each about an hour long. The series starts off okay, but really kicks into gear in episode five, which is an adaptation of H P Lovecraft's short story, Pickman's Model.

Starring Crispin Glover, and the brother-in-law bloke from season 1 of Westworld, it's excellent.

They should have put this episode first, though there is another story, The Outside, which is really, really weird (in a good way). I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I thought that Pickman’s Model was boring and just not good. The story intrigued me(I liked how it ended),but the execution and acting was awful. Kinda interested in reading the short story though. 

I thought The Autopsy was great, and enjoyed Lot 36. Haven’t watched any other episodes.

17 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm also watching the Harry and Meghan doc and am enjoying quite a bit. Not just for the show but also for the freakout from the English tabloid press. 

I'm not watching it, but the freakout is entertaining enough all on its own.  Saves me $15 bucks a month!

I started watching Del Toro's Pinocchio and it is at times quite wonderful, the opening section was hitting me hard..

But then Ewan McGregor is Jimminy Cricket, it really took me out of it. I just don't understand the casting at all. This happens a lot with McGregor, he can at times be the best thing when he's on screen, he was maybe the only highlight of Obi-Wan, but then it feels like 70% of all his movies he is the wrong man for the job. His performance and accent bothered me so much I tried to find a foreign language dub I could watch instead!

6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Bonnie and Clyde

Old school charm and beautiful lensing but the cuts were very choppy at times and stagey acting twice afaik. Writing was good, few moments were matched by great deliveries overall great. 

I reccomend you also view The Highway Men in sucession to Bonnie in Clyde if you havent yet.

That movie is a very excellent one focused on the hunt and stopping of the gang.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, Zorral said:

Finished watching my hoarded final two episodes of The Peripheral.  It was some of the best television seen all year, hands down.  We need another season, as we didn't hit 'conclusion.'  That they hit both slick and 'down-to-earth' so seamlessly may be it's greatest draw for me.  Well, the actors -- they all are worth watching.

Agreed. I felt it lost a bit of focus/pacing towards the finale. Need that second season confirmed please.

Finished Andor last night. Setting a high bar. No pacing issues here. <3 Andy Serkis.

Currently making a plan to schedule in a minimum of film a day over the upcoming holidays. By schedule, I mean we plan to sit down and watch a new film (as in, not seen before by us) every day at 1pm. Our proposed lists will go head-to-head later on today. My picks are mostly horror. :)

Excited for more Traitors next week.

@dog-days,

I watched the 1973 version of The Three Musketeers last night (technically 1974?). It's every bit as campy as the 1993 version. There was a person in a white bear costume at one point. Was that a thing in 17th century France? Anyways it's a fun film, but I think the 1993 version is better.

Now I have to watch the one from 1948...

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@dog-days,

I watched the 1973 version of The Three Musketeers last night (technically 1974?). It's every bit as campy as the 1993 version. There was a person in a white bear costume at one point. Was that a thing in 17th century France? Anyways it's a fun film, but I think the 1993 version is better.

Now I have to watch the one from 1948...

Is the 1973 version the one where they get stabbed one by one during a horse chase or something, and then just recover?

The 1993 version … feel for the director who had to keep Kiefer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen in check! Though its a film with those two, and Chris O’Donnell - and they decide to make Oliver Platt the ladies’ man!

I’ve just finished rewatching series 1 of the BBC show, The Musketeers

The best thing about the 1948 film is Gene Kelly. His grace and athleticism makes the fencing scenes really fun, and he does some terrific stunts.

The thing I love about the Lester films are the fight sequences which draw heavily on actual period fencing technique. 

24 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Is the 1973 version the one where they get stabbed one by one during a horse chase or something, and then just recover?

d'Artagnan and Rochefort stab each other a few times and seem to both be fine. Seems unlikely in the early parts of the 17th century.

The 1993 version … feel for the director who had to keep Kiefer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen in check! Though its a film with those two, and Chris O’Donnell - and they decide to make Oliver Platt the ladies’ man!

I just want to know how much cocaine was on that set! 

I’ve just finished rewatching series 1 of the BBC show, The Musketeers

Would you recommend it?

Archived