Watch, Watched, Watching: November Rain

Ramsay B.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

d'Artagnan and Rochefort stab each other a few times and seem to both be fine. Seems unlikely in the early parts of the 17th century.

I just want to know how much cocaine was on that set! 

Would you recommend it?

Yeah. 30 episodes over 3 seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

The best thing about the 1948 fun is Gene Kelly. His grace and athleticism makes the fencing scenes really fun, and he does some terrific stunts.

The thing I love about the Lester films are the fight sequences which draw heavily on actual period fencing technique. 

I believe a couple of weeks ago I mentioned watching the 1934 version of The Count of Monte Cristo because of its reference in V for Vendetta. Older films obviously have aspects of them that don't age well, but they were really exceptional at making sword fighting scenes feel real, especially with the longer fencing sequences. 

Watched Ti West’s The House of the Devil (2009) last night. Nothing particularly groundbreaking, but it’s an overall solid horror movie about the Satanic panic of the 1980’s. Pretty unnerving from start to finish. I also loved the way he shot it. Really gave it that retro feel. 

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Is the 1973 version the one where they get stabbed one by one during a horse chase or something, and then just recover?

The 1993 version … feel for the director who had to keep Kiefer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen in check! Though its a film with those two, and Chris O’Donnell - and they decide to make Oliver Platt the ladies’ man!

I’ve just finished rewatching series 1 of the BBC show, The Musketeers

Apparently there's a two part French adaptation out next year, which looks a bit more serious than those from the trailer. It does feature Eva Green as Milady, which seems like excellent casting.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Would you recommend it?

It's splendid, all three seasons are splendid, all available free to you streaming on Amazon Prime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Pine' second two-episode murder confirmed that the young mother's disappearance from her indigenous family is the plot that threads through the season.

The primary plot of this two-episode's murder is located centrally in the previous week's Native Residency school, which building had been bought by last week’s murder victim,

Spoiler

killed by her own daughter.

Spoiler

Our Three Pines regular resident figures had gathered to burn the place down, when the murder takes place.  The evil done in that building seems to have seeped into the town, Gamache observes, bringing about a second murder where there hadn’t been any before.  As to no murders before, well, he was incorrect about that.

This series is really fine.  Funny how the top three television efforts this year for me, are from AP: Rings of Power, The Peripheral, and now Three Pines.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

d'Artagnan and Rochefort stab each other a few times and seem to both be fine. Seems unlikely in the early parts of the 17th century.

You know, not necessarily true. George Silver, an English fencing master of the late 16th and early 17th century, spoke in favor of the English style of fencing that used more cuts than Continental fencing at the time, and one reason was that he claimed that he had witnessed a man take eight or nine wounds from thrusts to his limbs and body, and not only survived but killed his opponent and then recovered from his injuries.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

You know, not necessarily true. George Silver, an English fencing master of the late 16th and early 17th century, spoke in favor of the English style of fencing that used more cuts than Continental fencing at the time, and one reason was that he claimed that he had witnessed a man take eight or nine wounds from thrusts to his limbs and body, and not only survived but killed his opponent and then recovered from his injuries.

I don't generally dwell of regrets, but one I do have is I never signed up for fencing club in college. I tried to do one each semester, but that one just never worked out. 

Also, I didn't realize there's a Fourth Musketeer movie that's basically Kill Bill V2. I was wondering why it seemed like a huge chunk of the story was missing...

Which is another reason I have so much fondness and respect for the 3-season Musketeers.  Dumas was writing historical fiction; Dumas tells us how he went about writing the many installments in this long arc of fiction documenting historical France up to, and maybe, finally, later, the earlier part of the Revolution.  He was deeply concerned in getting the history and all the other details correct.  And the 3-season Musketeers does too, including the thick, heavy tack for the horses, who are no lightboned, pretty Arab stock, but big and heavy -- warmbloods and the like.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/stuart/three-musketeers-real-athos-porthos-aramis-dartagnan/

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, I didn't realize there's a Fourth Musketeer movie that's basically Kill Bill V2. I was wondering why it seemed like a huge chunk of the story was missing...

Oh shit, this is the version I remember seeing as a kid. No wonder I haven't been able to find it over the years.

I'm six episodes into Wednesday. A real little gem. The protagonist is great and Gwendolyn is delightful in this. Also, I want a soundtrack.

It's the

Spoiler

creepy therapist, right?

When I first heard that Laurel had died "oversea," I knew she must still be alive.

I had suspected the nice librarian, but the flowers...

15 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I'm six episodes into Wednesday. A real little gem. The protagonist is great and Gwendolyn is delightful in this. Also, I want a soundtrack.

It's the

Hide contents

creepy therapist, right?

When I first heard that Laurel had died "oversea," I knew she must still be alive.

I had suspected the nice librarian, but the flowers...

Yup, my thought too. We are 6 episodes in as well.

Spoiler

I think the creepy therapist is Laurel and clearly involved but I'm not entirely sure she's the monster.

Started Yellow Jackets this week, about 5 episodes in right now. Had no idea what the show was about going into it so that first scene, first couple scenes kinda caught me off guard.

Spoiler

The presumed hunting of the girl and again, presumed cannibalism was a bit of a shock to me. The back and forth of the time line seems to have caused me to take longer to track who we have still seen alive in the present day so I can start thinking on who all is dead.  Nice bit of foreshadowing about the pregnancy when she warns him in the car before having sex. Another guess here with the woman running for State office, I am assuming the "bad one" the kid is referring to is her? Like another side of her that comes out?  At first I thought he was scared of his other mom but not now.  Of course I am also just watching the episode where they do the shit in the attic back in the old time line and she seems possessed so who knows, maybe there is an actual spirit watching him. 

Had no clue that was Crisitna Ricci as the nurse, I knew she looked a little familiar but couldn't place her. 

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I wanted a big monster film after watching the Everything Great About on Jurassic Park, so I had a watch of Troll on Netflix.

It's a lot better than Godzilla.

Did you see Trollhunter (Trolljegeren)? I found that one delightful, and this looks bizarrely similar, only with the giant troll wreaking havoc on a city instead of very isolated people. I thought it had to be something like a Norwegian Cloverfield deal when I first heard of it, but they're unrelated, as far as I know. I am excited to see it regardless!

54 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Did you see Trollhunter (Trolljegeren)? I found that one delightful, and this looks bizarrely similar, only with the giant troll wreaking havoc on a city instead of very isolated people.

I've seen it yeah. To my memory that one's better, a bit smarter, but ultimately they're not really all that similar- this one's a straight-up Kaiju rampage movie.

The mythology is the same so you'll be familiar with the beats in that sense, but that's just what the folklore around trolls is. 

On 12/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, Nictarion said:

Watched Ti West’s The House of the Devil (2009) last night. Nothing particularly groundbreaking, but it’s an overall solid horror movie about the Satanic panic of the 1980’s. Pretty unnerving from start to finish. I also loved the way he shot it. Really gave it that retro feel. 

Oooh. Big fan of the Satanic Panic! By which I mean I am horribly fascinated by it. I will see if this is on Shudder.

We are two episodes into Wednesday and I love it. Bit confused by what they are doing with CZJ...are they trying to make her look dead? This is the least attractive I have ever seen her look. Not that it's her job to look attractive or anything... but she kinda is, so what were they going for there? Also, zero chemistry with Gomez. So that all gives me the sads. But everything else is adorable. <3

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Started Yellow Jackets this week, about 5 episodes in right now. Had no idea what the show was about going into it so that first scene, first couple scenes kinda caught me off guard.

Reveal hidden contents

The presumed hunting of the girl and again, presumed cannibalism was a bit of a shock to me. The back and forth of the time line seems to have caused me to take longer to track who we have still seen alive in the present day so I can start thinking on who all is dead.  Nice bit of foreshadowing about the pregnancy when she warns him in the car before having sex. Another guess here with the woman running for State office, I am assuming the "bad one" the kid is referring to is her? Like another side of her that comes out?  At first I thought he was scared of his other mom but not now.  Of course I am also just watching the episode where they do the shit in the attic back in the old time line and she seems possessed so who knows, maybe there is an actual spirit watching him. 

Had no clue that was Crisitna Ricci as the nurse, I knew she looked a little familiar but couldn't place her. 

Aren't you cute. Welcome to the Yellowjackets club. Get ready for a wild ride :cheers: 

I also checked out Wednesday last night based on the recommendations. That opening sequence was such an easy hook and I'm in. Funny story, I watched one of the first two Addams Family movies as a young kid for the first time in a room full of reptiles, spiders, other critters and what really stood out to me, a giant bull frog that ate mice. Upped the creepy factor by magnitudes. 

ETA: Ricci's excellence at being creepy spans four decades! 

Archived