Watch, Watched, Watching: November Rain

Ramsay B.

Having run out of things to watch, I finally watched the first ep of The White Lotus. It's ok I guess. I guess I'll keep watching as I want to know who'll die and whodunnit.

ETA: OK, nope, can't do it. It's not for me and I guess unsurprisingly, it will be the newly wed woman to die, but they all deserve it and I just don't care.

23 hours ago, Ran said:

It's a 75 year old film! And it worked for me despite the drafters on the podcast discussing that moment in detail before I ever saw the film, so I think others will cope.

It's the last of them, at least -- Drunken Angel was his very next film, and its striking how good the film is despite being only made a year after. The Mifune factor, no doubt, but I suspect it also was because Toho Studio finally gave him carte blanche.

I'm yet to see Drunken Angel. I always thought it was that film that finally got him carte blanche as he follows it up with Stray Dog and then Rashomon

23 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

I'm yet to see Drunken Angel. I always thought it was that film that finally got him carte blanche as he follows it up with Stray Dog and then Rashomon

From what Kurosawa said, it was the first film where he managed to get his original vision on the screen -- Toho didn't interfere and the censors didn't impact the film much.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Resident Alien amuses me to no end.

I expected nothing from as it is from SYFY it but someone recommended it to me and I gave it the benefit of doubt because of Alan Tudyk and I'm glad that I did.

I had this experience recently as well. Very amusing show. 

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Resident Alien amuses me to no end.

I expected nothing from as it is from SYFY it but someone recommended it to me and I gave it the benefit of doubt because of Alan Tudyk and I'm glad that I did.

Season 3 will likely be its last. They reduced the number of episodes to 8 I believe.

9 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Isn't Resident Alien basically the same premise as Invader Zim? Because I really liked Invader Zim. 

If it is I'll have to check out Zim. 

Resident Alien also has a great ensemble. It's a whole thing. And this oddball alien shapeshifter that at first, only a couple kids know about it. It's all kinds of fucked and hilarious. 

It saddens me the end got clipped. I hope they knew going in and can give this show the send off it deserves. 

Unfinished This Is Going to Hurt which was pretty brutal and bleak. Excellent series though, I'm curious if it is available outside of the UK and if so, did it resonate as  much with International audiences.

Anyway, as I was finishing up i saw that S3 of His Dark Materials dropped which will be my viewing for the next week. Very excited to see this on screen, the trailers looked excellent.

28 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm curious if it is available outside of the UK

Haven't seen any reviews or recaps of it here. :dunno:  This doesn't mean they don't exist -- I haven't looked for them.

This Is Going To Hurt is available on AMC here in the US.  I haven't watched it though, because, well, you said 'brutal' and my nerves are subjected to so much brutality all day everyday as it is, particularly concerning medical matters due everything in this country, and because I have some dear people fighting now for nearly a year to not be terminal.  It's ... rough.

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Haven't seen any reviews or recaps of it here. :dunno:  This doesn't mean they don't exist -- I haven't looked for them.

This Is Going To Hurt is available on AMC here in the US.  I haven't watched it though, because, well, you said 'brutal' and my nerves are subjected to so much brutality all day everyday as it is, particularly concerning medical matters due everything in this country, and because I have some dear people fighting now for nearly a year to not be terminal.  It's ... rough.

Its more a look at the pressures on the medical professionals themselves, as opposed to the patients.

And while it's brutal its done in more of a dark comedic tone than overwrought drams. Just explaining for context, you know your own limits better than me

Finished the latest season of What We Do in the Shadows. Funny as always, as Baby Colin Robinson goes through puberty and into adulthood at a rapid clip, by while Nadja tries to put out the fire which is the vampire nightclub...

And as someone shared Mark Kermode's 10 best films of the year list, I saw Catherine, Called Birdy on it and found myself amazed that I had no idea it existed -- never saw a trailer. It can be found, at least in Sweden, on Amazon Prime. It's an adaptation of a YA novel of the same name by writer and director Lena Dunham (she does not perform in the film), and is a rather cheeky medieval comedy about Birdy (aka Catherine), daughter to an impoverished lord with expensive tastes who starts to be convinced that marrying her off will bring in the necessary income to keep himself in Siberian tigers and whatnot. Birdy is played by Bella Ramsey, who played Lyanna Mormont on Game of Thrones and will co-star in The Last of Us, and she is quite charmingly earnest and determined. She's not the only GoT alumni -- I counted at least four others (Paul Kaye, David Bradley, Dean-Charles Chapman, and Ralph Ineson) in named secondary roles.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:03 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I watched Black Adam.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:22 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I laughed at a few bits. It had a few great scenes and some gloriously cheesy moments. I probably liked it better than Thor 4. Not as boring as Dr. Strange 2. 

But by the end; man you felt every second of that runtime.

I wasn't expecting much but still...bummer.

I have been watching the long rain or space vids I am addicted to or live performances from Chelsea Wolfe and Anna von Hausswolff.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Finished the latest season of What We Do in the Shadows. Funny as always, as Baby Colin Robinson goes through puberty and into adulthood at a rapid clip, by while Nadja tries to put out the fire which is the vampire nightclub...

I thought ep 1 and 2 were pretty weak but after that it was amazing. 

14 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Season 3 will likely be its last. They reduced the number of episodes to 8 I believe.

@Resident Alien

Ouch, I didn't know that. That's a bummer, I could watch this going for multiple seasons, it's a kind of show that is completely not plot driven, and characters are just pure gold.

But I can see the number of viewers dropped significantly in the second part of season 2, regrettably.

I watched The Banshees of Insherin. Strong performances all around, especially Collin Farrell and Kerry Condon. Not sure how I feel about the story - a really sad tale about human nature, it seems, with a few interjections of Irish humor. It's not my favorite movie of the year, that's for sure.

On 12/16/2022 at 11:15 PM, dbunting said:

How do you recycle soap? Was it pressing together slivers of bars of soap to make a bigger one?

You cut it up or shred it, reboil it in a double boiler, add ?essential oils or other stuff, and then put it in a mold and let it dry.  Voila.  New soap. 

Archived