Watch, Watched, Watching: November Rain

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, I truly don't get the complaining about the lack of comedy in a drama.  Not every drama has to have constant levity.  It often got distracting on Game of Thrones, especially toward the end when the humor started to get a little lacking in quality.

And House of the Dragon did have some amusing moments.  They just tended more toward subtlety and weren't forced in there for the sole purpose of adding a joke.

It isn't even humor necessarily; it's quips. It's what Matt Christman refers to as "soy banter". It's "Droid, please!", or "I love you three thousand." or Rocket and Bucky pausing in the middle of some insane battle to negotiate a price for his robotic arm. It's moments that are meme-able.

So in S2 Blood and Cheese do their deed (which I won't mention because this board is insane sometimes); smash cut to Blood as he turns to Cheese and says, "Yeah, so that happened." And, -scene-. Make it happen, HBO.  

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Preach it, Brother!  Gods I am so sick of those things I haven't watched one in years, and have no plans to ever watch another one ever.  Inelegant thudding forever and ever, amen.

Hey, I largely left it behind years ago as well. I still watch the stuff from time to time but I'm not invested in it at all.

And I don't begrudge the MCU its existence; I don't begrudge them their success; I don't even begrudge them their formula. But I definitely draw the line at fans suggesting that formula being replicated by others. Not that this particular commentator is doing that but, yeah, they are kind of doing that. 

I remember a tweet or an article from a while back where someone said that the MCU could include stories that have nothing to do with capeshit. Rom coms or sitcoms or legal dramas that don't feature any any MCU characters or superheroes but just happen to take place in the MCU. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

'Thing is, if that's what it took in order to get some project greenlit, it would probably happen. 

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Tricky Poo ofc. Tristan - this current iteration - took a while for me to like.

O yes! And his doggy girlfriend -- that scene of them running toward each other! :)  As for Tris, didn't like him at first in both versions, which just goes to show, what a good character he and the actor(s) who play him are, I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As long as our power and internet don't fail -- so far over a million users all around here are without -- I have a glorious menu from which to choose tonight's watching: Knives Out: Glass Onion; Three Pines: the next two episodes, probably last of this season's mysteries; Kindred: 3rd episode Turn: starting season 2 re-watch; Jack Ryan: finish the 3rd episode, maybe start the 4th.

I just watched Glass Onion. I thought it was very entertaining throughout, the mystery being solved may be completely ludicrous but it has a lot of fun twists and turns along the way. It's also often very funny, and there seems something very topical about mocking the absurdity of tech billionaires who aren't as clever as they think they are. I think perhaps I slightly prefer Knives Out out of the two films, perhaps because I cared more about what happened to Ana de Armas' character in the first film than any of the characters here but this was still very good.

:agree: regarding what you said, including rather liking Knives Out more.  But Monáe was really good in this one, both vulnerable and sweet, and Vengeance in the way Miss Marple and Poiret could be sometimes.  And Craig was having such a happy time not giving a fcuk.  :lol:

Just watched Glass Onion too.

Glass Onion:

What a fun movie. I thought the first film was pretty overrated but I enjoyed this quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just finished Glass Onion. Thought it was great and the Clue reference was perfect. Knives Out is probably the better film of the two, but this was still such a blast and might be the more rewatchable of the two. 

Also the Magnolia reference. I got a chuckle from that. 

Also, judging from the contents of the various rooms Janelle Monáe managed to uncover, holy crap those people like to party. They were supposed to be there for like, three days? The Hitachi "massager", a dozen reefers, way too many condoms; that I get. But who the hell packs a whole pad of blotter acid for a three day weekend? Jesus Christ. Slow your roll, Kate Hudson. 

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

O yes! And his doggy girlfriend -- that scene of them running toward each other! :)  As for Tris, didn't like him at first in both versions, which just goes to show, what a good character he and the actor(s) who play him are, I guess.

I must say I enjoyed this one less than the previous ones. The 100th iteration of the Siegfried/ Tris conflict, and I'm not really buying Ms Hall's romance... plus, too few animals!

Glass Onion, as many have said, was just a really fun movie.  All the nods (including some of the feel of the pandemic) and little Easter eggs and cameos were just - I dunno, what watching a movie should feel like, just a little bit of glee throughout.  Rian Johnson’s dialogue coming out of A-level actors! My  first-watch quote - “I’m very bad at dumb things, it’s my Achilles heel.”.  

So many enjoyable details that could have been terrible in different hands.  The surreal  environment (complete with the hourly “dong” and a Kato Kaelin).  The celebrity name-drop products. 

Also watched Glass Onion, with my folks. We all enjoyed it but agreed the finale veered into silliness. Entertaining throughout. 

The product placement became very distracting, if I can make one complaint. I think if you Cntrl-F the screenplay for "Google", you'd get twenty hits. 

Ed Norton's English-adjacent vocabulary was a highlight for me.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I enjoyed this one less than the previous ones

It wasn't until a bit into the second season of this second tv adaptation I got to liking it.  I skipped a lot of the first season, so unengaging it was (for me -- evidently not for all!).

Might be in a minority in that I liked Glass Onion even more than Knives Out. I'll grant that some of the performances in Knives Out are better, but Glass Onion really lets us spend a bit more time with Blanc, has some very sharp writing and looks incredible. Rian Johnson is amazing.

Yeah I have to say I think I prefer Glass Onion to Knives Out. If only because it just seems designed to be fun on so many levels, whereas the first one was often more interesting than fun.

Can’t say I ever loved the first one either, I guess it was good considering it’s an original movie in a time of zero originality but I always found it a bit patchy and never lived up to its potential or quirky promise. Glass Onion just seems to go for it in one direction and doesn’t give a shit. I like that.

Archived