NBA - The upside down

BigFatCoward

19 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The Mavs are doing some out-of-the-box thinking to give up draft capital for Kyrie.

I give pretty low odds on a successful partnership lasting more than six weeks between him and Doncic before the sparks begin to fly.

Understanding that Kyrie is often a toxic presence, I still somewhat like this deal for the Mavs, given the options at hand.

They want to do something. They feel they are on a limited timetable with the supertalent that is Luka. They know this current team simply isnt good enough. So you roll the dice on 4 months of Kyrie and if it works out, you can decide to give him a deal, of sorts, that he may or may not accept, but if it doesnt, at least you tried something else this season, and probably gave this team a better shot ( again, assuming Kyrie plays).

It doesnt seem like another star or impact player was available, nothing is happening in the market.

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

If that is the only big trade the Mavs make this year, I don't see how them as realistic contenders.  Maybe if things go incredibly well they could come out of the west, which is super weak this year.  But in a 7 game series against Boston or Milwaukee?  Hard to see that going well. 

Even winning the West is a really long shot. 

I agree that the Mavs winning the West was and still is a long shot, for me its not a top3 team, but since they have Luka, they are a danger team and potential upset team in any round they play. I dont agree though that the west is weak, in particular the Nuggets and Grizzlies look *very* good to me on the whole. Aside from those, I can still see potential strong finishes and post-seasons from the Warriors and Clippers, and perhaps even the Suns and Pelicans when Zion comes back. Its actually quite stacked. And...I'm gonna say it, I am not even sure the Lakers are completely down for the count ( but if they really dont make any deals, they probably are..)

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

...Luka and Irving are both below average defenders.  Building a team around two stars who are both negative defenders is really hard...

Once upon a time, many coaches would prepare for a playoff series by planning to back down Luka or Kyrie into the post over and over again.  It seems like an easy way to both or either collect a lot of easy layups or else put them into foul trouble almost immediately.

And today, it seems a rudimentary tactic to do the same thing, and plan to kick the ball out to the perimeter as soon as the help or double arrives.  Defense wins playoff series, and as you said, those two in particular are going to need a lot of help.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I agree that the Mavs winning the West was and still is a long shot, for me its not a top3 team, but since they have Luka, they are a danger team and potential upset team in any round they play. I dont agree though that the west is weak, in particular the Nuggets and Grizzlies look *very* good to me on the whole. Aside from those, I can still see potential strong finishes and post-seasons from the Warriors and Clippers, and perhaps even the Suns and Pelicans when Zion comes back. Its actually quite stacked. And...I'm gonna say it, I am not even sure the Lakers are completely down for the count ( but if they really dont make any deals, they probably are..)

Hasn't Curry picked up an injury that will keep him sidelined for a bit?

He has, will be out for a few more weeks.

But not something that is expected to prevent them from the possibility of a strong post-season.

It is however his second or even third injury this season.

Talks ongoing between Durant and Nets management.

Nets are insisting to teams they will not trade him and are trying to get a good player in to make up for the loss of Kyrie.

Personally I hope they let Durant go now, so that he may have a title shot elsewhere.

If he is not traded, this stuff is gonna get repeated again in the summer.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

He has, will be out for a few more weeks.

But not something that is expected to prevent them from the possibility of a strong post-season.

It is however his second or even third injury this season.

Idk about that. Their record has been shit without Steph and while they're the 7th seed now, the gap between them and the 13th seed is just three games. The chase for the play-in is going to be pretty fun. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Part of me wondered if you were hoping for him to get a point away and then have his leg fall off. :P

Nah.  He won us a title.  Don’t like that he went to the Lakers, because fuck the Lakers, and I certainly root against that team’s success, but don’t really have anything against LeBron at this point.  

Also cool to see him break that record because it will probably never be broken again. 

19 minutes ago, briantw said:

Nah.  He won us a title.  Don’t like that he went to the Lakers, because fuck the Lakers, and I certainly root against that team’s success, but don’t really have anything against LeBron at this point.  

Also cool to see him break that record because it will probably never be broken again. 

Lebron's career average is 27/7/7 and this year he's averaging 30/8/7. He's probably going to play a few more seasons and get the number somewhere that's unbreakable. 

Archived