NBA - The upside down

BigFatCoward

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can't begin to imagine how shit it is watching basketball from the back of a 65,000 crowd. 

The NBA is amazing if you can get tickets near the front of the lower level. Anywhere else you might as well watch it at home or a sports bar, because all you're going to do is watch the jumbotron. 

On 1/14/2023 at 8:45 PM, Rhom said:

Murray State retired Cam Payne’s jersey today.  The Suns team came to the game!  I have to wonder what they thought about Murray, KY.  :lol: 

As long as they stayed away from the hive of sophisticated excess, extravagant vice, and perverse villainy that is Paducah, they'll be fine.

Chris Ford has passed away at age 74.

He was a prototypical example of a white player from his era, and the first player to hit the new three-point shot in the NBA in 1979.  (I don't know who hit the first ones in the ABL or the ABA previously.)  He personified the 1970s Gym Rat, with the lank hair and loose uniform flopping as he sprinted down the court.

While a Piston, his steal was one of the last live televised playoff games (non-Finals) before the NBA went to tape-delayed broadcast in the 70s malaise before Magic and Bird.  This was probably for the best, as check out those incredibly bad street clothes the coaches are sporting.

As a kid in the 70s, our coaches all taught us to use the shooting form you see from Chris Ford - "make that goose neck and hold it after you shoot, kids."  While most commentators don't recall his coaching career very kindly, he always seemed like a nice guy who made the most of his opportunities.

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Lakers Grizz getting ready to tip off from the Crypto.con arena… what happened to the Staples Center???

It's been a done deal for awhile. And Miami had to rename theirs after FTX went down.

Easily the worst name in the league. Not many ways you can rearrange the name to make it more palatable given that the worst part is also key to the brand.

Jonathan Isaac IS RISEN!!!  Played 10 minutes to help the Magic beat the Celtics for the third time this season (suck it Boston!).  Filled up the stat sheet too - 10 points, 2 threes, 3 boards, 2 steals, and an assist.  

Orlando is now really confronting a minutes crunch.  Suggs, especially, needs more time on the court.  They need to jettison Harris and Bamba (who's barely playing anyway) ASAP.  I'd say Ross too, but I don't think they could even get a 2nd rounder for him at this point.  Might as well keep him for depth/veteran presence.

7 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Or is it climbing because of KAT's injury?

Not at all. The early season disappointments were something I said to expect because the fit was weird. Then they had a phase where they struggled even more after KAT got hurt. Now one hopes they've found a solid rotation and Ant is being more consistent. But don't get it twisted, the team is not better because they're missing a top 15 player who significantly impacts their offense. 

As a lifelong knick fan it gives me great joy to see a good pg in our starting lineup. However, Randle is our best player atm and he's so hard to cheer for. I hate all of his me-first flexing and his generally weird attitude on the court towards his team mates. Not my kind of player, at all. Add rapist Rose and our shit heel owner and I'm having a very hard time liking this team. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Top 15 player? Hmmm...  

If you traded KAT what could you realistically get for him in return? 

Probably less than what was given up for Gobert tbh, even though he's the better and younger player.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not at all. The early season disappointments were something I said to expect because the fit was weird. Then they had a phase where they struggled even more after KAT got hurt. Now one hopes they've found a solid rotation and Ant is being more consistent. But don't get it twisted, the team is not better because they're missing a top 15 player who significantly impacts their offense. 

If you think Kitty Kat is a top 15 player you deserve to be a fan of the Timberwolves lol

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

If you think Kitty Kat is a top 15 player you deserve to be a fan of the Timberwolves lol

By most measures he has been over the last few seasons. He's been disappointing defensively, which is a surprise given his younger years, but offensively he's been elite for his position and I don't think you'll find many to say he's not a top 15 level player, even if you don't think he's someone you want to build around. He clearly has his flaws, but damn near every team would trade for him if he was healthy.

Also, you don't get to stick out your chest as a Raptors fan. You do have a title, but you had to win it when the best player in the league at the time got hurt and another first ballot HoFer tore his ACL. Great accomplishment. I'm sure you rooted for Floyd Patterson over Sonny too praying for the same thing.

I don’t think he’s a top 15 player either. Not anymore maybe 2-3 years ago that was a good spot. But now probably somewhere in the thirties (maybe high twenties if I’m feeling generous) if you just asked for which one player would you have. Just too many deficiencies in his game. 

edit: sure some of the players above him you’re taking on potential but KAT hasn’t really shown he can elevate his game. I think he’s already peaked.

Archived