NFL 2022 Thread 3: Is Captain Kirk... good?!!?

Rhom

The Ravens and Dolphins both made a big trade prior to the deadline to improve their defense, and at least in initial returns, it looks like it is paying off.  The Ravens defense looks a lot more solid with the addition of Roquan Smith.  The Baltimore offense struggled significantly last week, but the defense was up to the challenge and won the game for them.  Miami's offense is looking really solid, so they don't need a dominant defense, just a good one.  Bradley Chubb should definitely help with that. 

The AFC playoffs are gonna be really brutal.  There are so many good squads that some teams with realistic SB hopes will be going home on the first weekend. 

Can't say the same about the NFC, where the competition to make the divisional round will be substantially less fierce. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeesh, I know I said I had no faith in him when he was drafted, but this is a painful list:

Also never forget that the Niners traded three firsts to move up and draft a guy who has played one game for them in two years and looked like shit in it. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Also never forget that the Niners traded three firsts to move up and draft a guy who has played one game for them in two years and looked like shit in it. 

Hey!  Its been three starts.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hey!  Its been three starts.

Four starts in three years is the problem. Idk what that does to a player, but it can't be good.

That said I think you can defend the Lance pick. I'd have taken Fields, but if the Niners brain trust thought he was a flawed passer and were enamored with Lance's upside then go for it. It's just the picks that sting.

Wilson not working out was super predictable. 

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Four starts in three years is the problem. Idk what that does to a player, but it can't be good.

That said I think you can defend the Lance pick. I'd have taken Fields, but if the Niners brain trust thought he was a flawed passer and were enamored with Lance's upside then go for it. It's just the picks that sting.

Wilson not working out was super predictable. 

I loved Lance as a fantasy prospect, but picking a guy who played in less than twenty games in college at an FCS school third overall in the actual NFL draft was insane.  Trading multiple future firsts to move up to do it was doubly so.  It was a huge gamble and it's looking like they are going to lose it badly. 

I loved Lance as a fantasy prospect, but picking a guy who played in less than twenty games in college at an FCS school third overall in the actual NFL draft was insane.  Trading multiple future firsts to move up to do it was doubly so.  It was a huge gamble and it's looking like they are going to lose it badly. 

It was a huge gamble, nobody disputes that. And you never know, it still may work. The real problem at this point is not getting to maximize the value of his rookie contract. 

LOL no, this is classic Captain Hindsight whining.  Was it a huge gamble?  Of course!  But drafting a quarterback in the top ten is almost always a huge gamble - that's inherent.  And that was clearly their best opportunity to do so unless they waited until after this season. 

Considering their realistic options - the Jags were never gonna trade their chance to pick Lawrence - they were all very huge gambles in hindsight.  Even if they could have had a chance at Wilson, he clearly isn't looking much better.  Picking Jones would have been idiotic considering his lack of ceiling as currently demonstrated.  And while I preferred Fields and he's less of a gamble, it was really only marginally so which is why I didn't have a problem with it then.

Frankly, ShanaLynch's "gambles" in the first round haven't worked out much at all..but at the same time are hard to criticize.  Trading Buckner for his replacement in Kinlaw made financial sense and the latter certainly has shown flashes of being a great value at the #14 pick talent-wise....but he can't stay on the field.  Trading down one with the Bears in their first pick looked awesome...but Thomas and Foster really didn't work out despite both clearly being talented.  The only first round "gamble" that's worked out is Aiyuk.

Of course, ShanaLynch have concurrently built a great roster by continually hitting on later round picks.  In their seven drafts they have at least gotten productive players - and often hit the jackpot - quite frequently:  Kittle (5th) and Jones (6th) in 2017; Warner (3rd) in 2018; Deebo (2nd) and Greenlaw (5th) in 2019; Jennings (7th) in 2020; Banks (2nd), Hufanga (5th), Lenoir (5th), and Mitchell (6th) in 2021; and Jackson (2nd), Burford (4th), and Womack (5th) in 2022 - with Zakelj (6th) quite possibly taking over center next year.  That track record makes up for a lot of ShanaLynch's other (*cough running backs cough*) personnel blunders.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was just announced the Jets are benching Wilson and won't make him active this week. I still like taking Lance over him. Injuries are unpredictable for the most part absent a history.

Breece going down with the knee injury was the beginning of the end of their awesome start. Defense is only going to win you so many games, and their inability to move the ball agaisnt NE was agonizing. 

Looking at the list above I would’ve taken Surtain and suffered through another season of Darnold :crying:

14 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Breece going down with the knee injury was the beginning of the end of their awesome start. Defense is only going to win you so many games, and their inability to move the ball agaisnt NE was agonizing. 

Looking at the list above I would’ve taken Surtain and suffered through another season of Darnold :crying:

It's cut off, but Parsons at 12 is the pick if you're not taking a QB. I wonder if he'd go first overall if we did a redraft. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was just announced the Jets are benching Wilson and won't make him active this week. I still like taking Lance over him. Injuries are unpredictable for the most part absent a history.

I hated Wilson as a prospect too.  Dude didn't play anyone in college and had an NFL caliber offensive line.  

This isn't the FF thread, but (Vader voice) NOOOOO!:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35093730/bears-qb-justin-fields-says-separated-left-shoulder

He's my kang in three leagues, and the only thing keeping my money team alive after Lance went down and my WR1 has been broken all year.

Archived