NFL 2022 Thread 3: Is Captain Kirk... good?!!?

Rhom

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The more I think on it, the more I think it's less likely they call it a tie and more they just cancel the game. I don't think a tie actually changes anything. They'll determine seeding by winning percentages and call it a day. Hurts both teams but these are extraordinary circumstances. The only other option I can see is to push week 18 and playoffs back a week and go from Championship Sunday right to Super Bowl with no week in between. Think they did this once.

TV and sponsorship agreements makes that pretty hard.

The Chiefs have to love the decision not to reschedule.  Now they just need to beat Vegas to get the 1 seed and bye. 

We're probably looking at: WC round - Bills vs Dolphins, Bengals vs Ravens (part 3!), Jags vs Chargers.

Then in all likelihood a divisional round of Bills vs Bengals, KC vs Jags/Chargers.  

I really don't trust the Chiefs this year, but winning the 1 seed is a huge boon for them.  I really don't think they have the juice to beat Cincy and Buffalo in consecutive weekends, but now they probably won't have to.  Could they beat one of those teams, at home?  Certainly possible. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Chiefs have to love the decision not to reschedule.  Now they just need to beat Vegas to get the 1 seed and bye. 

We're probably looking at: WC round - Bills vs Dolphins, Bengals vs Ravens (part 3!), Jags vs Chargers.

Then in all likelihood a divisional round of Bills vs Bengals, KC vs Jags/Chargers.  

I really don't trust the Chiefs this year, but winning the 1 seed is a huge boon for them.  I really don't think they have the juice to beat Cincy and Buffalo in consecutive weekends, but now they probably won't have to.  Could they beat one of those teams, at home?  Certainly possible. 

I wonder if they consider flipping a coin for the #2 seed? If both Bills and Bengals won out, the winner of that game would have been the #2 seed.

Just now, Mexal said:

I wonder if they consider flipping a coin for the #2 seed? If both Bills and Bengals won out, the winner of that game would have been the #2 seed.

But the Bills and Bengals could not possibly win out, they were playing each other.  In non cancelled games the Bills have one more win and one fewer loss, it's pretty clear they're the 2.  Really the only argument for Cincy is that they were ahead when the game ended, and that the 7-3 result should stand.  Which...I do not think will get much support. 

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Flipping a coin is lame. Each team should pick a lineman and have a best of five sumo match. For charity, of course.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But the Bills and Bengals could not possibly win out, they were playing each other.  In non cancelled games the Bills have one more win and one fewer loss, it's pretty clear they're the 2.  Really the only argument for Cincy is that they were ahead when the game ended, and that the 7-3 result should stand.  Which...I do not think will get much support. 

Yea, that's fair. I forgot they had one more win than the Bengals going into the game. But my point was more if Bengals win, and they win week 18, they're #2 seed. If Bills won, they got the #2 seed. That game had massive #2 seed implications should both teams win week 18.

As an aside, need some thoughts/info on Superbowl betting.  

I'vjust been put in charge of the Suoerbowl fund raiser for the youth group I participate in with my kids. Yes we'll do the typical squares betting, but does anyone have any other thoughts on variations of that?  Some other games we could do for fund raising?

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As an aside, need some thoughts/info on Superbowl betting.  

I'vjust been put in charge of the Suoerbowl fund raiser for the youth group I participate in with my kids. Yes we'll do the typical squares betting, but does anyone have any other thoughts on variations of that?  Some other games we could do for fund raising?

If it's fundraising and for fun take prop bets from the major betting sites, write them on slips of paper and charge people to draw out of a hat at random. If you have 20 prop bets purchased and 3 hit they split half the money, other half goes to charity. If none hit then all $$ to charity and so on. It's a fun way to root for silly stuff and people are willing to pay $5-10-20 for stuff like that because they don't have to be a betting person or know a lot about the sport.  

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hamlin is awake, and showing signs of improvement, per Kaiir Elam. 

They said "neurologically intact" and that his lungs are improving.  That's about as good an outcome as can be hoped for at this point.

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hamlin is awake, and showing signs of improvement, per Kaiir Elam. 

Like a fucking miracle :grouphug:

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

They said "neurologically intact" and that his lungs are improving.  That's about as good an outcome as can be hoped for at this point.

Yo, he's awake and has motor function to write. I'm not saying he's cured, but that's a LOT more than "as good an outcome as can be hoped..." 

Rhom, that young man's fight for his life and his recovery to date is nothing short of a triumph over death by a man who was not even conscious to fight it. 

This not a rebuke. I would like to give you permission, insomuch as I can, to view this kid's victory without qualification. He and every one of the folks who got him into that hospital and then out of surgery alive are fucking badasses and they could not have done better. He's alive! He's alive, Rhom! :) And awake! Sometimes that doesn't come with qualifications. Sometimes it's just enough to be alive and awake. :)

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So, um, obviously I don't want to be insensitive, but, er, that means I'm in Experts, right?

I don't know how my team went but if it made the playoffs and I might bequeath my spot, I'd say you should have it. 

It's not charity. I like the way you draft. 

Meanwhile, are they really gonna flip a coin to decide who hosts if the Ravens and Bengals meet in post? That's dum

One of you said it earlier I think- arm wrestle to host if it comes to it 

Yeah, it's silly and arbitrary. But it's less arbitrary than a fucking coin toss! Two-outta-three our best vs your best: MADDEN 23 would be less arbitrary than a fucking coin toss!

1 hour ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

Yeah, it's silly and arbitrary. But it's less arbitrary than a fucking coin toss! Two-outta-three our best vs your best: MADDEN 23 would be less arbitrary than a fucking coin toss!

Why are we forgetting rock-paper-scissors?

Archived