NFL 2022 Thread 3: Is Captain Kirk... good?!!?

Rhom

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even if they lose their first playoff game, which is still TBD because the Seahawks are now in OT, don't you have to start him given this run? Lance has shown you nothing so far.

Not sure you can be that dismissive. Three firsts for a QB that might never do anything for you? That's pretty tough, especially when, *lowers voice*, I tried to tell you almost any QB would be good on your team. Like even Zach Wilson or Sam Darnold. That's how QB friendly the system is. Also why I wouldn't trade for Jimmy, no matter how beautiful his smile is. 

CJ Beathard disagrees with your assessment.  Yes, it’s the best possible place for a rookie QB, but there’s a reason only Jimmy had had a winning record with Shanny the Younger.  Playing QB in the NFL is hard no matter where you are.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even if they lose their first playoff game, which is still TBD because the Seahawks are now in OT, don't you have to start him given this run? Lance has shown you nothing so far.

If they lose against the 7th seed no, I don't think you have to start him at all.  It's up to Shanahan.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

CJ Beathard disagrees with your assessment.  Yes, it’s the best possible place for a rookie QB, but there’s a reason only Jimmy had had a winning record with Shanny the Younger.  Playing QB in the NFL is hard no matter where you are.

Jimmy isn't that good though. :P

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

If they lose against the 7th seed no, I don't think you have to start him at all.  It's up to Shanahan.

But if he plays really well in a loss? Idk how you just give the keys back to Lance.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

But if he plays really well in a loss? Idk how you just give the keys back to Lance.

I don't think you "just give him the keys back" either, but you give him the chance to win it in camp.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There’s a difference in “giving the keys back” and holding a competition.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Sounds crazy, but I’d much rather face A-A-Ron and the Packers rather than round three with Geno the Jets Reject and the Seachickens.

Absolutely.  And not just because it'd be fun to kick the shit out of Rodgers in the playoffs again.  Never want to play a team three times.

I also think we should give Purdy his due.  He adds a dimension simply not available with Garoppolo - his scrambling and pocket presence that allows him to extend plays (and, conversely, limit the amount of stupid throws Garoppolo would make and instead take sacks or run out of it). 

A lot of his biggest throws so far have been on broken plays, and that's obviously not because of Shanahan.  It does, however, certainly have something to do with throwing to perhaps the best group of skill position players in football.  Albeit Deebo was out for much of it.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

I also think we should give Purdy his due.  He adds a dimension simply not available with Garoppolo - his scrambling and pocket presence that allows him to extend plays (and, conversely, limit the amount of stupid throws Garoppolo would make and instead take sacks or run out of it). 

A lot of his biggest throws so far have been on broken plays, and that's obviously not because of Shanahan.  It does, however, certainly have something to do with throwing to perhaps the best group of skill position players in football.  Albeit Deebo was out for much of it.

He really seems to have made Aiyuk a favorite security blanket.  I think that has really helped Aiyuk’s development too.  Jimmy just didn’t look his way the same way Purdy does.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

He really seems to have made Aiyuk a favorite security blanket.  I think that has really helped Aiyuk’s development too.  Jimmy just didn’t look his way the same way Purdy does.

Yeah.  Kittle, too, has more consistently been a factor.  Again, some of that has to do with Deebo being out though.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you make him your starter next year? Because if not, that's one of the worst trades of all time. 

This one time, at the draft, Chicago over paid and traded up one spot so they didn't have to settle for Mahomes over Trubisky.

Really how can you ever beat that?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I don't think you "just give him the keys back" either, but you give him the chance to win it in camp.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

There’s a difference in “giving the keys back” and holding a competition.

You two good setting four first round picks on fire?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Sounds crazy, but I’d much rather face A-A-Ron and the Packers rather than round three with Geno the Jets Reject and the Seachickens.

Yeah, that is crazy.

6 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

This one time, at the draft, Chicago over paid and traded up one spot so they didn't have to settle for Mahomes over Trubisky.

Really how can you ever beat that?

I would have take Watson first TBH. 

Nah. 

The Japanese sank some outmoded deep-sea fishing equipment and by way of butterfly-effect skullfucked Hitler

Trading (was it a 3rd and a 5th?) up 1 spot or whatever to select Mitch 'NVP' Trubisky like ten spots ahead of Swaggs Mahomes will live in infamy. 

ETA: syntax 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You two good setting four first round picks on fire?

Well, first of all it was three.  And one was just moving up to get Lance.  I was ambivalent about giving up that much at the time, but you were the one that all gung-ho. 

Anyway, ShanaLynch were also just making the estimation that they'd be late round picks.  Last year's pick was the 29th - the Pats used it on Cole Strange.  Their original pick in 2021 was Micah Parsons, but the Niners weren't gonna draft him anyway.  It probably would have been Mac Jones.  This year's pick will almost certainly be in the late 20s as well.

18 minutes ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

Trading (was it a 3rd and a 5th?) up 1 spot or whatever to select Mitch 'NVP' Trubisky like ten spots ahead of Swaggs Mahomes will live in infamy. 

It was two 3rds and a 4th.  One of the 3rds turned into Fred Warner.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, first of all it was three.  And one was just moving up to get Lance.  I was ambivalent about giving up that much at the time, but you were the one that all gung-ho. 

It was three and the one you used... 

And I was gung-ho about this? When?

Their original pick in 2021 was Micah Parsons, but the Niners weren't gonna draft him anyway.  It probably would have been Mac Jones. 

Archived