NFL 2022 Thread 3: Is Captain Kirk... good?!!?

Rhom

2 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

My moms bf said he most likely had a heart attack, which is crazy bc he’s so young. Coming from a dude who’s had two of them himself

I really hate to speculate at this point, but my first thought was an aneurysm. 

Idk how they ask the players to go back out on the field even if we get better news. 

8 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

My moms bf said he most likely had a heart attack, which is crazy bc he’s so young. Coming from a dude who’s had two of them himself

That's where my mind went after seeing the clip a few minutes ago. It doesn't make a ton of sense. The play was fairly routine, there wasn't a clear injury, he gets up and then just collapses. I've never seen anything like it, except when Christian Erikson collapsed on the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's where my mind went after seeing the clip a few minutes ago. It doesn't make a ton of sense. The play was fairly routine, there wasn't a clear injury, he gets up and then just collapses. I've never seen anything like it.

Blunt trauma to the chest at the wrong time in the cardiac cycle. Its not good. Really hope he is ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Game is officially suspended for the night. Idk how they reschedule it. 

I'm glad it's postponed. 

They could play it tomorrow night, that wouldn't interfere with next week. Maybe Wednesday, although it's pushing it and they might have to move two of the Sunday games to Monday, which I'm certain the NFL does not want to do. 

They could also just call it a tie and be done with it.  Obviously not great for either squad, but nothing about this is great.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm glad it's postponed. 

They could play it tomorrow night, that wouldn't interfere with next week. Maybe Wednesday, although it's pushing it and they might have to move two of the Sunday games to Monday, which I'm certain the NFL does not want to do. 

They could also just call it a tie and be done with it.  Obviously not great for either squad, but nothing about this is great.

They could do a couple of Monday afternoon games that end before the National Championship kicks off.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm glad it's postponed. 

Idk how you do anything other than call it a tie. Obviously the playoff implications suck for both sides, but who cares. This is a unique circumstance. Not sure how you can ask either team to play tomorrow or Wednesday and that's assuming Hamlin pulls through. They need the time off regardless. 

I'm sure I'm missing others, but the closest/most recent precedent I can remember is Larry Dierker having a seizure during a game.  He was a manager instead of a player, but they suspended the game for over a month.  Of course, with the timing & baseball schedule it's considerably more convenient.

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Bills already flew back to Buffalo.  Looks like that game is not going to be played.

There's simply no logical way to reschedule it. If this happened in say week 12, sure, they could stagger some games out if they wanted to, but with only one week left, no chance there'd be terms the teams would agree to and the Bills' players probably just need a few days off in general. 

My first FF win on the forum feels gross. Not sure the results should even count.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's simply no logical way to reschedule it. If this happened in say week 12, sure, they could stagger some games out if they wanted to, but with only one week left, no chance there'd be terms the teams would agree to and the Bills' players probably just need a few days off in general. 

I don't see how they reschedule it either. Ignoring for a second that it was the right thing to do to postpone, a tie (if that's what they end up doing), gives the Bengals the AFC North but kills any chance they had to win the #1 seed. The Bills no longer control their own destiny on the #1 seed and will have to hope for a KC loss. And while anyone else winning the MVP was a long shot, it locks in Mahomes as the clear winner (Burrow/Allen had an outside chance should they crush the last two games and Mahomes stumbled at all). Probably the right call all around given the circumstances.

Neither team is happy with a tie.  Buffalo loses the 1 spot, and Cincy loses the opportunity to move above the 3 seedin the upcoming playoffs.  The only good thing is that they do get like half a week 17 bye, which will help everyone other than Hamlin get healthy. 

Hopefully we get good news on Hamlin's condition today. 

48 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I don't see how they reschedule it either. Ignoring for a second that it was the right thing to do to postpone, a tie (if that's what they end up doing), gives the Bengals the AFC North but kills any chance they had to win the #1 seed. The Bills no longer control their own destiny on the #1 seed and will have to hope for a KC loss. And while anyone else winning the MVP was a long shot, it locks in Mahomes as the clear winner (Burrow/Allen had an outside chance should they crush the last two games and Mahomes stumbled at all). Probably the right call all around given the circumstances.

Yeah, it's a lose-lose situation, but I can't see any other way to resolve it. Frankly both teams should just treat next week like a bye and get ready for the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Neither team is happy with a tie.  Buffalo loses the 1 spot, and Cincy loses the opportunity to move above the 3 seedin the upcoming playoffs.  The only good thing is that they do get like half a week 17 bye, which will help everyone other than Hamlin get healthy. 

Hopefully we get good news on Hamlin's condition today. 

The more I think on it, the more I think it's less likely they call it a tie and more they just cancel the game. I don't think a tie actually changes anything. They'll determine seeding by winning percentages and call it a day. Hurts both teams but these are extraordinary circumstances. The only other option I can see is to push week 18 and playoffs back a week and go from Championship Sunday right to Super Bowl with no week in between. Think they did this once.

Archived