Anyone else feel a tinge of sympathy for Androw Farman?

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

10 minutes ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Rhaena treated him like trash. I wish he had poisoned her.

What he did was far crueler than poisoning her. He poisoned her friends one by one to watch her grieve them. And he left her alive to live alone and miserable. That speak of a very sadistic nature which I find hard to sympathize with. It's basically like a bullying/abuse victim lashing out by shooting up his tormenters at school. It gives me a very mixed reaction to say the least. 

What it also reminds me of is a film called "Reds". There's a great line where Louise Bryant (Diane Keaton) is very upset at the way her former lover Eugene O'Neal (Jack Nicholson) treats her. And as she's storming out of his apartment, she declares "You're a wounding son of a bitch, and whatever I've done to you, you've made me pay for it." That's how I feel about Rhaena and Androw, but a much more extreme example. Two very damaged people who hurt each other very badly.

8 minutes ago, James Steller said:

What he did was far crueler than poisoning her. He poisoned her friends one by one to watch her grieve them. And he left her alive to live alone and miserable. That speak of a very sadistic nature which I find hard to sympathize with. It's basically like a bullying/abuse victim lashing out by shooting up his tormenters at school. It gives me a very mixed reaction to say the least. 

What it also reminds me of is a film called "Reds". There's a great line where Louise Bryant (Diane Keaton) is very upset at the way her former lover Eugene O'Neal (Jack Nicholson) treats her. And as she's storming out of his apartment, she declares "You're a wounding son of a bitch, and whatever I've done to you, you've made me pay for it." That's how I feel about Rhaena and Androw, but a much more extreme example. Two very damaged people who hurt each other very badly.

Not sure about the other women but Rhaena deserved it 

Just now, James Steller said:

Maybe, but I don't think Androw comes out looking great either. I'd be inclined to say that they deserved each other.

How ? If you keep bullying someone so badly the person will fight back. Androw fought back . He was bullied and treated so badly he had to take his course of action. The other women also bullied him , but not sure if they were as bad as Rhaena.

3 minutes ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

How ? If you keep bullying someone so badly the person will fight back. Androw fought back . He was bullied and treated so badly he had to take his course of action. The other women also bullied him , but not sure if they were as bad as Rhaena.

Yeah, I tried to take back the 'deserved each other' comment. 

I agree. I was having the same thoughts the other day. Obviously it wasn't right to poison the friends and all, but it's not like he did it unprovoked (not provocation in the legal sense, however). They had insulted and teased him for quite a long time, and treated him as though he was beneath them. His own wife as well. Horrible. Androw was willing to be a good husband but Rhaena never gave him the chance.

The incident really puts me off Rhaena.

Yes, we know that she only married him so she could continue her affair with his sister.  But, her (and her harem’s) behaviour towards Androw was abysmal.  Rhaena lacked any basic decency in life.

Is the behaviour of Hop Frog or Carrie right?  No.  Did their tormentors have it coming?  Hell, yes.

Rhaena doesn't sound like a nice person at all after reading about this.

What did she and her little gang think would happen? That they could just endlessly torment and tease Androw? That he would do nothing and just sit there and take it because otherwise he would look 'weak' by being bullied by his wife?

4 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Well, she managed to alienate her husband, her mother, her daughters and her true lover one after the other. 

That's quite an accomplishement that you can't reach without being a very antipathetic person. 

If you think everyone in your life is an arsehole, the chances are that you are the arsehole.

The person I kinda despise the most in this story is Androw’s sister. Like I know it isn’t easy for LGBT people in this period, but cuckolding your brother, then stealing from his wife and her family and leaving him “holding the bag” was just an awful thing to do. She could’ve killed him and the rest of her family and it would’ve been seen as perfectly ok.

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

If you think everyone in your life is an arsehole, the chances are that you are the arsehole.

Not everything bad in Rhaena’s life was her own fault, to be fair. She was a lesbian born and raised in a patriarchal society which caused her to get married and have sex with her brother, then she was also raped repeatedly by her uncle. All while her mom and brother were in hiding and didn’t, to her mind, help her at all. Not to mention that she was also an introverted person who must have had some kind of severed trauma from the aforementioned stuff. It would have all been triggered by her beloved abandoning her and stealing from her.  

Not that any of that is meant to absolve her or how she treated Androw, to be clear. It’s just that she wasn’t a complete villain.

13 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Not everything bad in Rhaena’s life was her own fault, to be fair. She was a lesbian born and raised in a patriarchal society which caused her to get married and have sex with her brother, then she was also raped repeatedly by her uncle. All while her mom and brother were in hiding and didn’t, to her mind, help her at all. Not to mention that she was also an introverted person who must have had some kind of severed trauma from the aforementioned stuff. It would have all been triggered by her beloved abandoning her and stealing from her.  

Not that any of that is meant to absolve her or how she treated Androw, to be clear. It’s just that she wasn’t a complete villain.

I agree, she’s not a complete villain.  And as @King Euron Greyjoypointed out, his sister’s behaviour was terrible as well.

1 hour ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

She could’ve killed him and the rest of her family and it would’ve been seen as perfectly ok

To be fair, I think killing the whole innocent rest of the family over theft would likely have been seen as tyrannical and such, and I don't think Rhaena's superiors would have allowed her to go that far, or would have punished her if she had. However, Elissa didn't seem to stop and think for one minute about the potential consequences her actions would have for her family, which is quite selfish.

Archived