Lady Barbrey Dustin

What is your opinion on the character of Barbrey Dustin, the current head of House Dustin and one of the major northern players introduced in A Dance With Dragons ? What do you think about her backstory with Brandon Stark, her husband, Ned Stark and the Boltons ? 

How much truthful do you think she was when she talked to Theon in ADWD during the chapter in Winterfell crypt ? What do you think she was doing exactly in the crypt ? Is she affiliated with Wyman Manderly and his conspiracy against the Boltons and the Freys ? 

What do you think will be her role and her actions in The Winds of Winter ? 

I do think there may be some actual resentment, but I think she is playing it up. I have a really hard time buying that any northern noble house would side with the Boltons after what Roose did and Ramsay is doing. Especially for such a trivial reason, considering that she was actually in love with Brandon Stark, so her getting so upset as to betray the Starks over not taking her husbands bones back to the North.

Bitter, spiteful old Woman who's still annoyed she didn't get to marry Brandon and seeks to blame the Maesters in some silly conspiracy theory. And Ned as well. Stupid.

Though despite her dislike of the Starks, I don't think she's genuinely with the Boltons either. Ramsay supposedly killed Domeric, whom she was fond of, and Roose seems to have done nothing to punish him, so I can't imagine she's very happy with them both.

2 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What is your opinion on the character of Barbrey Dustin, the current head of House Dustin and one of the major northern players introduced in A Dance With Dragons ? What do you think about her backstory with Brandon Stark, her husband, Ned Stark and the Boltons ? 

How much truthful do you think she was when she talked to Theon in ADWD during the chapter in Winterfell crypt ? What do you think she was doing exactly in the crypt ? Is she affiliated with Wyman Manderly and his conspiracy against the Boltons and the Freys ? 

The story about hating the Starks is a lie. It was to cover the twin objectives of unblocking the door to the crypts where the secret entrance to Winterfell lies, and to leave tracks through the snow to hide those of whomever entered the castle that way.

5 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

I fully believe her bitterness and anger towards the Starks, especially Ned, personally. She's worried at her grievances a long time.

How much truthful do you think she was when she talked to Theon in ADWD during the chapter in Winterfell crypt ?

Very truthful, I think.

What do you think she was doing exactly in the crypt ?

She wanted to look on the visages of the Starks, especially Brandon and I guess Ned, the man she loved and the man she hated.

Is she affiliated with Wyman Manderly and his conspiracy against the Boltons and the Freys ? 

My guess is no. I think she revealed the truth of things: that she is dangerous to the Boltons because of her lineage and bloodties, that she could herself end up running the North if things were to fall out a certain way. I think, personally, that that is her goal.

Guessing she'll betray the Boltons at some point, may even survive them, but that she's playing her own game of thrones and isn't interested in seeing the Starks restorted to Winterfell and the rule of the North.

Barbrey Dustin is a schemer.  Does she resent Ned Stark?  Sure.  But it makes no sense that she obsessively hates Ned ~16 years later so much that she also hates the entire Stark family more than she hates the Boltons.  Ramsay murdered her nephew Domeric, whom she loved.  Does she favor a family of psychopaths who wronged her far more than Ned ever did just to spite the Starks?

Of course not.

Is she going to tell Reek, Ramsay's "pet", her true motives?  No.  Nobody will believe that Barbrey actually likes the Boltons; the Boltons "trust" her only because they think she hates the Starks more.  Telling Reek how much she hates them, and then telling him not to speak a word to anyone about their conversation (knowing full well that Reek is terrified to keep secrets from Ramsay), is a great way to ensure the Boltons hear how committed she is against the Starks.

Also, why Barbrey was so interested in meeting Theon, the one she is convinced "loves the Starks"?  She wanted to see if he could possibly join in on her conspiracy, I'm guessing.

I don't doubt that Barbrey resents Ned, but she is massively playing it up.  She is working against the Boltons.  She'd have to be a diabolical lunatic to actually support the Boltons, and she isn't a diabolical lunatic.

I believe she did hate Ned for leaving her husband's body behind , she hated Rickard for taking Brandon ,whom she truly loved, away from her and she does not trust maesters, aka , grey rats . however , I don't think her resentment towards dead Starks is so much that she prefers Ramsay who killed her beloved nephew or Roose who she essentially admits is not trustworthy . whether she is an ally to Manderly or not , I don't know . most likely she is just someone like Manderly , maybe they're allies but even if they are , they'll be competing in being the real power . 

When she talks to Theon, she probably assumes that he will report to Ramsay about everything she says.  So some of her words may actually be intended for Ramsay's ears, to mislead him or conceal her true intentions.

On 11/16/2022 at 7:47 AM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Lady Barbrey Dustin (Ryswell) is a smart lady.  She told the truth to Reek.  She was abrasively and brazenly honest with him.  She got nothing but grief from the Starks but it looks like Roose is giving her candy.  Roose gives a better deal for Barbrey.  She's loyal to Roose but dislikes Ramsay. 

For my part I do think that she may have a grudge against Ned Stark, but I don't think that she does hate his children, at least not enough to prefer Roose Bolton to them. 

Imo Roose lost all her allegiance by doing nothing to avenge Domeric, whom she loved as he was the closest thing to a son she had, and letting Ramsay going away with her beloved nephew's death. 

I think that she's at least in touch with Wyman Manderly, and that her visit to the crypt was to verify the swords, and look for clues that the Stark and Reed kids had hiden themselves here to escape Theon and survive the sack. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

I think that she's at least in touch with Wyman Manderly, and that her visit to the crypt was to verify the swords, and look for clues that the Stark and Reed kids had hiden themselves here to escape Theon and survive the sack. 

This.  Everything else she said to Theon was to distract from this though there is a lot of exposition to the reader in what she says.  How much we should believe is an open question but it seems likely she resented Brandon, felt slighted by Ned not returning her husband's bones so is not a Stark loyalist - she sent as few men south when Robb called his banners as she could.  But with 1) Domeric's murder being unpunished and 2) the general slaughter of The Red Wedding including Dustin men I think she has realised both Roose and Ramsay are much worse. 

She tells one of the Freys that "The North remembers" which suggests that blood shed by the Boltons outweighs slights given by the Starks.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, Ran said:

I fully believe her bitterness and anger towards the Starks, especially Ned, personally. She's worried at her grievances a long time.

Very truthful, I think.

She wanted to look on the visages of the Starks, especially Brandon and I guess Ned, the man she loved and the man she hated.

My guess is no. I think she revealed the truth of things: that she is dangerous to the Boltons because of her lineage and bloodties, that she could herself end up running the North if things were to fall out a certain way. I think, personally, that that is her goal.

Guessing she'll betray the Boltons at some point, may even survive them, but that she's playing her own game of thrones and isn't interested in seeing the Starks restorted to Winterfell and the rule of the North.

Could Barbrey raise for a pretender Stark of her own?

I remember in a SSM GRRM saying there are still Stark branches in the North, most likely Barrowton and White Harbor.

8 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I remember in a SSM GRRM saying there are still Stark branches in the North, most likely Barrowton and White Harbor.

Yes, but then again, that'll probably be too distant for northerners, I think. 

Robb's objection to Cat's idea to make the Vale lordlings heir to the north was that they were too distant (and from the Vale). 

Oh, and on an unrelated note (since you've posited that ASOIAF takes a lot of stuff from Dune, do you think that Baron Harkonnen was a partial inspiration for Yezzan?)

18 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Oh, and on an unrelated note (since you've posited that ASOIAF takes a lot of stuff from Dune, do you think that Baron Harkonnen was a partial inspiration for Yezzan?)

I can't even remember anything about Yezzan besides him being the sicko fat guy that bought Tyrion and Jorah... oh and also Ashara. Because Ashara is Sweets, lover of Lynesse and parent of Danaerys! (Hopefully no one takes this seriously)

• 4 weeks later...

I think one of the first things to keep in mind is that Lady Dustin has been a successful female ruler, and from an outside house at that (she was born a Ryswell), what little we know about her suggests that she is capable, thoughtful and intelligent.

She, along with most of the North consider Theon a turn cloak, she has no reason to trust him no matter what his involvement with Ramsay is, it is very unlikely she is giving Theon any information that she feels can be used against her, if anything the ease with which she seems to give information suggests she may want known.  

She may resent the Starks for not be being chosen as a bride, and may resent Ned for not bringing her husbands bones back, however I believe that she is not going to let these feelings get in the way of what she feels need to be done to keep her position and her house secure.  She is smart enough to know that Ramsay cannot be trusted (at all), and that Roose cannot be trusted either.

She may or may not be up to something in particular, however she is certainly looking for a way to gain the upper hand if possible, this includes taking Ramsay out if possible.  Domeric aside, almost any Lord in the North would quickly come to realize he needs to go (Including Roose, most likely)

Regarding her speech to Theon, there are two things that I consider likely:

1) She said nothing just for the pleasure of a little chat about her deepest personal feelings - she had a secret purpose.

2) She probably used the technique of telling some truth to hide a major lie. 

Archived