Moments where you side with the bad guys

What are the moments in the books where characters who are unambigiously antagonists and very shitty persons do something that you cheer on, due to his/her actions being so outragely badass or funny or to them owning or killing other despicable characters that have no awesomeness or redeeming quality as characters ? 

Littlefinger poisonning Joffrey, alongside Olenna Tyrell, has to be this. Also him killing Lysa is very satisfying. 

Tywin owning Joffrey is very satisfying too. 

Also the Mountain and his men killing Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers in a gruesome way, Euron having Balon assassinated, and Big Walder killing Little Walder (if it's really him who killed his cousin).

Well, what Lord Manderly does, is by any objective measure, horrific.

The three Freys are made into pies.  One has to assume that their servants and Symond’s wife, suffered similarly horrible fates.

Yet, it’s so badass that we cheer him for it.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Well, what Lord Manderly does, is by any objective measure, horrific.

The three Freys are made into pies.  One has to assume that their servants and Symond’s wife, suffered similarly horrible fates.

Yet, it’s so badass that we cheer him for it.

If they have the family name of Frey they deserve it 

7 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

I was rooting for Jared and Rhaegar Frey when Daavos confronted them.  

7 hours ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Why? They are utter scum.

You know you've picked a controversial stance when Euron Greyjoy disagrees with you...

1 minute ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Oh Euron is pure evil. But I love a good villain 

Yeah Euron at least is charismatic, very entertaining and more cunning than smug and slimy. 

The Freys just have no quality that can make them even likeable or cool, they're just so arrogant, slimy, smug, unsufferable without the intelligence, means and personality to earn even the slightest respect. 

4 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Yeah Euron at least is charismatic, very entertaining and more cunning than smug and slimy. 

The Freys just have no quality that can make them even likeable or cool, they're just so arrogant, slimy, smug, unsufferable without the intelligence, means and personality to earn even the slightest respect. 

At least with House Frey, there are some good apples that didn't take part in the Red Wedding. Roslin was sobbing at her own wedding because she knew what was going to happen. Olyvar tried to stay with Robb even after he broke the marriage vow. 

Euron goes way too far for me to like him. He's a monstrous person who raped his brother's wife, molested his younger brother, and killed all three of his other brothers. And that's just scratching the surface of all that h's done. He strays very close to being a cartoon, if I'm honest, but GRRM did a very eerily accurate job portraying Aeron's PTSD, that he still manages to be a terrifying figure.

At least Tyrion, while being another rapist, did have a tragic backstory and truly awful relatives who pushed him into becoming the villain they always saw him as. His villainy is tragic and understandable, to the point that even GRRM doesn't seem to want to make him a complete bad guy. And maybe he won't be, we'll see. 

24 minutes ago, James Steller said:

At least with House Frey, there are some good apples that didn't take part in the Red Wedding. Roslin was sobbing at her own wedding because she knew what was going to happen. Olyvar tried to stay with Robb even after he broke the marriage vow. 

Euron goes way too far for me to like him. He's a monstrous person who raped his brother's wife, molested his younger brother, and killed all three of his other brothers. And that's just scratching the surface of all that h's done. He strays very close to being a cartoon, if I'm honest, but GRRM did a very eerily accurate job portraying Aeron's PTSD, that he still manages to be a terrifying figure.

At least Tyrion, while being another rapist, did have a tragic backstory and truly awful relatives who pushed him into becoming the villain they always saw him as. His villainy is tragic and understandable, to the point that even GRRM doesn't seem to want to make him a complete bad guy. And maybe he won't be, we'll see. 

Just to be clear, I don’t think Euron is at all anywhere in the ball park of being a good person. He is pure eldritch evil and I love it. But I hope they give him a death worthy of such a villain

13 minutes ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Just to be clear, I don’t think Euron is at all anywhere in the ball park of being a good person. He is pure eldritch evil and I love it. But I hope they give him a death worthy of such a villain

Agreed. I honestly wish we’d gotten him earlier in the story. He’s a much better character than Balon. And it’s not like he would have clashed or overshadowed the other big bads. They’re all psychos in different ways. Joffrey is the spoiled brat to the worst extreme. Ramsay is a sociopathic sadist who’s too much of a brute to ever truly succeed, because he fools absolutely nobody about what he is. But Euron? He’s a psychopath, with a narcissistic megalomania. And we still don’t fully know how he’s so powerful or even if he’s as powerful as he puts on. 

11 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Agreed. I honestly wish we’d gotten him earlier in the story. He’s a much better character than Balon. And it’s not like he would have clashed or overshadowed the other big bads. They’re all psychos in different ways. Joffrey is the spoiled brat to the worst extreme. Ramsay is a sociopathic sadist who’s too much of a brute to ever truly succeed, because he fools absolutely nobody about what he is. But Euron? He’s a psychopath, with a narcissistic megalomania. And we still don’t fully know how he’s so powerful or even if he’s as powerful as he puts on. 

His philosophy accentuates his actions, which makes his normally cartoonish more nuanced. Without it, he’d be just like those evil Slaver’s Bay bastards  

Honestly....I can't think of a single instance.  The main characters are almost all grey (except the ones without any power, like Sansa, but she'll be grey once she's mature).

For the characters who are unambiguously psychotic (Joff, Cersie, Euron, Ramsey, and several others) I can't imagine anything but applause being appropriate for their deaths.  Put them all on an island, sell hunting tags, and I'd buy one.

Archived