Surprisingly dumb moves made by clever or smart characters

Arthur Peres

A lot of the examples given either look bad in retrospect, but were okay at the time; were the result of bad or incomplete information; are come out of character flaws, like Tywin's attitude towards Tyrion or Renly and Stannis hating each other.

My list:

Catelyn arresting Tyrion.  It obviously got screwed up by her sister's mental instability, but she should have anticipated that Tywin wouldn't take it lying down.  Better to let him go to KL and let Ned deal with it.  As to him knowing she is in the Riverlands incognito, so what.  Let it be a mystery.  Plus, it's on the way to Riverrun, a more logical destination.

Ned's inaction after Robert's fatal injury.  I can understand him telling Cersei his knowledge of the incest; he expected Robert to have his back.  But with Robert doomed, he needed to act decisively, and didn't.  Take Renly's offer or something, and don't trust Littlefinger.

Sansa going to Cersei to stay with Joffrey.  She had your wolf killed, and he showed himself to be a bully and liar.  You should know better.  Fortunately, she's gotten more sensible.

Arya naming Chiswyck to Jaqen.  Weese I can understand - he was abusive towards her - but Chiswyck?  Choose someone worthwhile.  You only get three.  Use them wisely.

Robb marrying Jeyne.   Way too much suspicious stuff going on.  Jeyne has no reason to be spending time unchaperoned with him, and even less reason to be marrying her overlord's main enemy.  Robb should have smelled a rat.  By the way, KitN was foisted on him.  He was essentially stuck with it.

Theon taking Winterfell.  I understand wanting to impress Daddy, but it's basically worthless.  It's in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by enemies, with no economic base.  Also, he has no supply line and no escape route.  Oops.

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

How would any invader feed that horde even during summer and during winter they would be as successful as Grande Armee 1814 at Russia.

Well theyd feed their army the same way the northerners feed themselves. The north has farms, livestock,game and food stores, its not barren. The lower  feudal lords arent gonna burn their food  en masse like the russians did nor will the ordinary serfs tolerate starving for the high lords...and even if they did the reach also have the largest military navy and merchant fleet to move food from their own area which is the 7 kingdoms breadbasket and enough wealth to import in more.

How about Addam Velaryon keep fighting in Rhaenyra's name ?

Even after she tried to arrest him without cause, he raises a army for her cause, marches against 3 other dragons, and a larger enemy army, manages to win with the element of surprise but gets himself killed in the name of a worthless queen.

Two obvious examples which I think haven't been mentioned yet:

• Tyrion not getting rid of Littlefinger when he knew that he had framed him and when his father had given him a free hand to deal with all traitors to the Lannisters.
  • Stannis  ignoring the huge Tyrell army assembled at Highbridge and assuming it would remain neutral.

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

Stannis not taking care of Tywin, before dealing with Kings Landing.

Could he have done? Stannis only received a fraction of Renly's army at Bitterbridge and numbered 20,000 while Tywin had at least 50,000 under his command. Also this depends on timing with Littlefinger's deal with the Lannisters and whether or not he'd run into Robb's army.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

Could he have done? Stannis only received a fraction of Renly's army at Bitterbridge and numbered 20,000 while Tywin had at least 50,000 under his command. Also this depends on timing with Littlefinger's deal with the Lannisters and whether or not he'd run into Robb's army.

According to the wiki, Tywin only had about 20 thousand men, when he marched to face Robb in the West.

9 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Oh but they do match in Balon's case, as his actions are just as stupid and delusional as his reasons. 

He declared independence, attacked the only guy that was willing to reconized his title, and helped the side that hold his status as vassal. Then he asked the people that he was breaking away from, for help.

I don't think this actions match with his objective of independence.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

He declared independence, attacked the only guy that was willing to reconized his title, and helped the side that hold his status as vassal. Then he asked the people that he was breaking away from, for help.

I don't think this actions match with his objective of independence.

He literally asks Tywin for a peace offer, even after he's already doing Tywin's work for him and he's too stupid to realize this.

Archived