Surprisingly dumb moves made by clever or smart characters

Arthur Peres

Just now, Corvo the Crow said:

Not necessarily, since it is not a grant of land but a promise of it. "I'll give you this castle once we retake south" is a promise.

But a promise is not a good reward is it? Being payed with promises was why Salla left. And how likely does it look to Aurane that Stannis could retake any land south?

42 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

But a promise is not a good reward is it? Being payed with promises was why Salla left. And how likely does it look to Aurane that Stannis could retake any land south?

Plenty of characters act on promised rewards, rewards that are far inferior for risks that are higher. It goes as far back as first book with Bronn and the Vale Clansmen joining Tyrion, there may even be earlier examples that I can't recall(Not sure if sellswords joining Cat count as I can't recall promises). Also Salla has actually been paid with more than promises. Stannis has allowed him to get "taxes" from ships going to or from Westeros, that's how he laid hands on Illyrio's ship.

Jon wasn't with Mance long enough for Mance to be able to fully trust him. Sending Jon back over the Wall with a relatively small group and then expecting him to actually participate in directly attacking the Watch seems needlessly risky.

Archived