US politics - have you no sense of decency, sir?

IheartIheartTesla

It is the beginning of the McCarthy era (presumably) in the House, and the quote above is basically how his namesake's career ended in 1954 when attorney Joseph Welch threw those words at him on television.

Nowadays politicians just shrug off whatever barbs you throw at them. See, for instance, Ted Cruz.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Another shooting at a gay bar I see, with 5 dead confirmed so far.  Unknown (but obviously likely) if it was a hate crime. 

It was the people in the club who subdued the terrorist, not cops.

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

Hurry.

Is there a reason they didn't do this during PRIME TYME? 

Does this kinda shit fill anyone else with a sadistic rage? The time for releasing evidence is long fucking passed.

Only Democrats could take a political coup (LITERALLY) and turn it into a donor commercial as part of the broader spectator-ization of the death of democracy.

Fucking loser. I hope whatever evidence she drops gives her a goddamn brain hemorrhage.

9 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Except for the hemorrhage, I absolutely agree. Same with waiting to demand Trump testify until the final episode.

They do procrastinate in doing necessary things.

Same thing with the gay marriage bill. It would have passed anyway and republicans having one more thing to turn off young people.

49 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Same thing with the gay marriage bill. It would have passed anyway and republicans having one more thing to turn off young people.

Er, no.  It undoubtedly would not have gotten 60 votes before the midterms.

9 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Why not? Greater public pressure to not appear a homophobe.

Because the GOP Senators inclined to vote for it specifically asked Baldwin not to make it an election issue.  Blunt and Burr definitely would have been no votes considering they publicly stated they wanted it in the lame duck as retiring Senators.  Loomis would be a definite nay as well.  Almost certainly Sullivan and probably even Murkowski just cuz she was going up against Tshibaka.  Obviously would have pissed off Tillis and Young as well.  Probably even Capito and Ernst. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Because the GOP Senators inclined to vote for it specifically asked Baldwin not to make it an election issue.  Blunt and Burr definitely would have been no votes considering they publicly stated they wanted it in the lame duck as retiring Senators.  Loomis would be a definite nay as well.  Almost certainly Sullivan and probably even Murkowski just cuz she was going up against Tshibaka.  Obviously would have pissed off Tillis and Young as well.  Probably even Capito and Ernst. 

Hmm that’s a fair point.

Like Buchanan knew before hand - before he was POTUS -- of the Court's decision regarding what is known as the Dred Scott case, and dog whistled the decision in his inaugural speech.

https://billofrightsinstitute.org/e-lessons/james-buchanan-and-the-dred-scott-decision

The Senate Judiciary Committee will review reports that Alito's Hobby Lobby decision was leaked to an anti-abortion leader: 'another black mark on the Supreme Court's increasingly marred

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-senate-judiciary-committee-will-review-reports-that-alito-s-hobby-lobby-decision-was-leaked-to-an-anti-abortion-leader-another-black-mark-on-the-supreme-court-s-increasingly-marred-ethical-record/ar-AA14lxFm?

Anti-abortion leaders knew about a 2014 Supreme Court decision before it was official, NYT reported.
Alito's Hobby Lobby decision on contraception would be the second of two known leaks from the court.
The Senate Judiciary Committee will investigate the allegations, AP reported.
The Senate Judiciary Committee is investigating another potential leak out of the Supreme Court, following a New York Times report that said anti-abortion leaders knew about the 2014 Burwell v. Hobby Lobby decision before it was official.

The Times report, published Saturday, indicates Rev. Rob Schenck — an anti-abortion activist known for lobbying the Supreme Court — said in a letter to Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. and in interviews with the Times that he was informed of the outcome of the 2014 case weeks before it was announced.

The Burwell v. Hobby Lobby decision held that corporations can refuse on religious grounds to pay for contraception as mandated by the Affordable Care Act. ....

Nothing to see here, move on...

Saudi Arabia's Dar Al Arkan signs deal with Trump family for Oman project

DUBAI, Nov 20 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabian real estate developer Dar Al Arkan said it signed an agreement with former U.S. President Donald Trump's company to use the Trump Brand for its $4 billion project in the Gulf state of Oman that includes a golf course, hotel and villas.

The regulatory statement issued on Sunday did not disclose the financial terms of the agreement with the Trump Organization, which manages hotels, golf courses and other real estate around the world.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/saudi-arabias-dar-al-arkan-signs-deal-with-trump-family-oman-project-2022-11-20/

6 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Nothing to see here, move on...

Saudi Arabia's Dar Al Arkan signs deal with Trump family for Oman project

DUBAI, Nov 20 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabian real estate developer Dar Al Arkan said it signed an agreement with former U.S. President Donald Trump's company to use the Trump Brand for its $4 billion project in the Gulf state of Oman that includes a golf course, hotel and villas.

The regulatory statement issued on Sunday did not disclose the financial terms of the agreement with the Trump Organization, which manages hotels, golf courses and other real estate around the world.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/saudi-arabias-dar-al-arkan-signs-deal-with-trump-family-oman-project-2022-11-20/

I guess they figure to have dodged a bullet by not going with Twitter as a brand.

An Army Veteran Says He Went Into ‘Combat Mode’ to Disarm the Gunman
Richard M. Fierro, who served for 15 years in the military, said he was at Club Q in Colorado Springs with his family, and took down the man who killed five people

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/us/colorado-springs-shooting-club-q-hero.html

COLORADO SPRINGS — Richard M. Fierro said he was at a table in Club Q with his wife, daughter and friends on Saturday, watching a drag show, when the sudden flash of gunfire ripped across the nightclub. His instincts from four combat deployments as an Army officer in Iraq and Afghanistan instantly kicked in. Fight back, he told himself.

In an interview at his house, where his wife and daughter were still recovering from injuries, Mr. Fierro, 45, who left the Army in 2013 as a major, according to military records, described charging through the chaos at the club, tackling the gunman and beating him bloody with the gunman’s own gun.

“I don’t know exactly what I did, I just went into combat mode,” Mr. Fierro said, shaking his head. “I just know I have to kill this guy before he kills us.”

The authorities are holding Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, on charges of killing five people, and say that 18 more people were injured in a rampage at the club that lasted only a few minutes. The death toll could have been much higher, officials said on Sunday, if patrons of the bar had not stopped the gunman.

Mr. Fierro’s description of what happened in those moments in Club Q closely matches accounts given by the police and city officials and by the club’s owners, who have reviewed security footage from the massacre. When they were shown a picture of Mr. Fierro on Monday, one club owner, Nic Grzecka, said that he looked like the man who took down the gunman.

“I don’t even know his name,” Mr. Grzecka said. “I would really like to meet him.”

When the shooting started, Mr. Fierro said, he hit the floor, pulling a friend down with him. As bullets sprayed, he saw the gunman move through the bar toward a door leading to a patio where dozens of bar patrons had fled. Mr. Fierro, who served in the Army for 15 years, said he raced across the room, grabbed the gunman by a handle on the back of his body armor, pulled him to the floor and jumped on top of him.

“Was he shooting at the time? Was he about to shoot? I don’t know,” Mr. Fierro said. “I just knew I had to take him down.”

The gunman, who Mr. Fierro estimated weighed more than 300 pounds, sprawled onto the floor, his military-style rifle landing just out of reach. Mr. Fierro started to go for the rifle, but then saw that the gunman had a pistol as well.

“I grabbed the gun out of his hand and just started hitting him in the head, over and over,” Mr. Fierro said.

As the fight continued, he said, he yelled for other club patrons to help him. A man grabbed the rifle and moved it away to safety. A drag dancer stomped on the gunman with her high heels. The whole time, Mr. Fierro said, he kept pummeling the shooter’s head while the two men screamed obscenities at each other.

When police arrived a few minutes later, the gunman was no longer struggling, Mr. Fierro said, and he feared that he had killed him. The suspect in the shooting was taken into custody and remained hospitalized on Monday afternoon.

Mr. Fierro said he was covered in blood when the police arrived, and officers tackled him and put him in handcuffs. He said he was held in a police car for more than an hour, and screamed and pleaded to be let go so that he could see what had happened to his family.

Mr. Fierro, who owns a local brewery, said that on combat deployments in the Army, he had been shot at and had seen roadside bombs shred trucks in his platoon. His record shows that he was awarded the Bronze Star twice. The experiences of combat still haunt him, he said, and the psychological and physical toll of the deployments were why he left the Army.

He said he never thought he would have to deal with that kind of violence at home.

“I was done with war,” he said.

Update on the Colorado shooting. Turns out the suspect is the grandson of a MAGA politician. Is anybody here surprised? I have to wonder if any of the MAGA members of congress have similarly inclined younger relatives - and what their reaction might be WHEN one of these loose cannons goes off.

Colorado Shooter Is Reportedly Grandson of MAGA Lawmaker, Has History of Domestic Violence (msn.com)

Late Saturday night, a 22-year-old man identified as Anderson Lee Aldrich allegedly killed five people and injured dozens more at the LGBTQ nightclub Club Q in Colorado Springs. Aldrich, who’s currently in police custody, has also been identified by Heavy as the grandson of California state Assemblymember Randy Vopel, a pro-Trump Republican who likened the Jan. 6 insurrection that killed five to the Revolutionary War.

13 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Update on the Colorado shooting. Turns out the suspect is the grandson of a MAGA politician. Is anybody here surprised? I have to wonder if any of the MAGA members of congress have similarly inclined younger relatives - and what their reaction might be WHEN one of these loose cannons goes off.

Colorado Shooter Is Reportedly Grandson of MAGA Lawmaker, Has History of Domestic Violence (msn.com)

Late Saturday night, a 22-year-old man identified as Anderson Lee Aldrich allegedly killed five people and injured dozens more at the LGBTQ nightclub Club Q in Colorado Springs. Aldrich, who’s currently in police custody, has also been identified by Heavy as the grandson of California state Assemblymember Randy Vopel, a pro-Trump Republican who likened the Jan. 6 insurrection that killed five to the Revolutionary War.

We don't have to wonder what happens when MAGAt spawn go off. They cover up and blow off consequences.

This particular MAGAt spawn was arrested for multiple felonies after his mom reported him for making bomb threats. There was no jail time, records were sealed, and apparently the "red flag" that would prevent a dangerous person from getting guns was not applied.

Archived