US politics - have you no sense of decency, sir?

IheartIheartTesla

I think the biggest tangible way a primary loser Trump hurts the GOP nominee is by going back to his usual playback and suing; trying to find courts that somehow would make him the nominee instead. None of them would. But depending on how lucky he gets with lower judges, he could possibly tangle up the nomination process for several weeks; delaying the nominee's ability to access general election funds the RNC has raised and stuff like that. Which in turn could lead to more inefficient campaign activities when the dust is settled, like having to pay more expensive TV ad rates.

Walker is in some fresh trouble for stating he "lives in Texas" (i.e., has a home there), and CNN has reported in the past that he gets tax breaks from his Dallas residence.

Apart from the other reasons he is an awful candidate, couldn't he at least pretend to live in Georgia for the time of the election?

22 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Walker is in some fresh trouble for stating he "lives in Texas" (i.e., has a home there), and CNN has reported in the past that he gets tax breaks from his Dallas residence.

Apart from the other reasons he is an awful candidate, couldn't he at least pretend to live in Georgia for the time of the election?

The fact that fruit loop is within the margin of error is one of the scariest things ever. 

Expecting some legislation to be passed today telling rail workers to go fuck themselves, with the full backing of Biden and Dem leadership.  At least on the issue of workers vs huge corporate profits, Dems and Republicans agree: get back to fucking work and just be happy you have a job, rich people all over the country depend on it!

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Do you honestly think he knows where he is at any point in time? Walker is a mentally unstable man who played a sport, and specifically a position, that required him to break his brain in an era when no one gave a shit about the players' health. He's not fit to manage a gas station. That speaks to the cynicism of Republicans in Georgia. 

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, to be fair he probably has girlfriends in both states.

11 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Expecting some legislation to be passed today telling rail workers to go fuck themselves, with the full backing of Biden and Dem leadership.  At least on the issue of workers vs huge corporate profits, Dems and Republicans agree: get back to fucking work and just be happy you have a job, rich people all over the country depend on it!

This seems a bit unfair. Democrats do care about labor. They just can't win every fight. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This seems a bit unfair. Democrats do care about labor. They just can't win every fight. 

Lol ok.  The agreement they are trying asking the unions to accept was rejected by the majority of union members.  They have to plan sick days 30 days in advance.  

Just of curiosity are you familiar with the details of this situation?  There's absolutely no reason to not give the union more, other than placating corporate interests.  

If they cared about labor they'd care about it but they don't.  Actions matter.

I think Biden should have fought harder for paid sick leave to be included instead of just accepting it wasn't gonna happen.  I suspect if he made a bigger issue out of it the unions wouldn't be attacking him - the deal Congress is set to pass includes the biggest wage hike for rail workers in over 50 years.  But at the end of the day it was pretty obvious he was never gonna get 10 GOP Senators to sign on to a deal that included the sick leave.  So then it's a matter of if you are on board with the strike and the economic damage it would cause.  I don't think as president Biden made the wrong decision there.

6 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Lol ok.  The agreement they are trying asking the unions to accept was rejected by the majority of union members.  They have to plan sick days 30 days in advance.  

This is kind of incorrect; there are 12 unions, and 8 of them approved the agreement. 4 rejected it. 

6 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Just of curiosity are you familiar with the details of this situation?  There's absolutely no reason to not give the union more, other than placating corporate interests.  

If they cared about labor they'd care about it but they don't.  Actions matter.

I largely agree that they're getting hosed. The idea that they get a total of THREE sick days and cannot plan vacations without being on demand is ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

This is kind of incorrect; there are 12 unions, and 8 of them approved the agreement. 4 rejected it. 

I largely agree that they're getting hosed. The idea that they get a total of THREE sick days and cannot plan vacations without being on demand is ridiculous. 

Thats not what I said, I said majority of the union members- the 4 who rejected it comprise the majority of union members

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But no sick leave??? What the hell?

To be clear the deal the House is set to pass does include a vote to add seven days of paid sick leave.  Which is not nearly enough, but still - this is what Sanders demanded in exchange for not blocking the bill:

46 minutes ago, DMC said:

In other news, Indiana Senator Mike Braun is running for governor, opening up his seat in 2024.  If Buttigieg is ever gonna run for Senate in Indiana, this is probably his best shot.

I believe he and his family moved to Michigan earlier this year, so I suspect he's done with Indiana politics. Maybe a run for Michigan governor in 4 years instead.

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

To be clear the deal the House is set to pass does include a vote to add seven days of paid sick leave.  Which is not nearly enough, but still - this is what Sanders demanded in exchange for not blocking the bill:

I get 6 sick days. Are you telling me that the fuckers who constantly wake me up at 1 AM are set to get 7 days. I'm voting for Trump.

(Note: the above statement is entirely sarcastic. They don't even wake me up, I only hear the train horns when I'm still awake)

Archived