US politics - have you no sense of decency, sir?

IheartIheartTesla

Low level national terrorism: get a county's power stations shut down to protest a drag show.

https://digbysblog.net/2022/12/04/what-civil-war-2-0-will-look-like/

The Pilot newspaper of Southern Pines (emphasis mine):

The Moore County Sheriff’s Office says is investigating incidents at multiple electric substations in Moore County that were shot up on Saturday night as a “criminal occurrence,” causing more than half the county’s electric customers to lose power.

[…]

Workers from Duke Energy and authorities from the sheriff‘s office were at the substation off N.C. 211 near West Pine Middle School looking over the damage around midnight. Deputies were scanning the the area for bullet casing, and vehicles were going through the woods in search of more evidence at the scene.

In a text message to a reporter, Chief Mike Cameron of the Southern Pines Fire and Rescue Department confirmed that substations had been shot at. He said the agency is “preparing to be out of power for 24 hours.”

Heavy police presence was around several gun shops and Wal-Mart in Aberdeen around 10:30 p.m. after reports of looting. One woman was detained in front Wal-Mart and police were conducting a headcount of employees outside of the store.

There is no confirmation of looting. No motive is known and no suspects have been apprehended.

https://i0.wp.com/digbysblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Drag-show.jpg?resize=999%2C358&ssl=1

Even so, this thread popped up on the Bird site Saturday evening suggesting the substation attacks were connected to a planned drag show at the Sunrise Theater in the golf resort town of Southern Pines 

You have to go to the site to see the rest of it --

Is Scott anywhere near that county? Or -- is he in South Carolina? -- or, um Georgia?  I get confused (particularly today, which has been, shall we say, fraught, w/both arrival of a + covid test and internet outage.

* We were able to hook up via switch to a company's local hot spot, but when the tech arrived, we left the apartment to sit outside.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Is Scott anywhere near that county? Or -- is he in South Carolina? -- or, um Georgia?  I get confused (particularly today, which has been, shall we say, fraught, w/both arrival of a + covid test and internet outage.

He's in SC but would still like to hear from him.  Didn't see anything on his twitter feed. 

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

* We were able to hook up via switch to a company's local hot spot, but when the tech arrived, we left the apartment to sit outside.

It’s about two hours ENE of me… half an hour ENE of Charlotte a fairly rural area…

What Congress can do with Trump’s tax returns

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2022/12/4/23491593/trump-tax-documents-congress

Now that the highest court has decided Trump cannot block congressional committees from obtaining his returns and requested materials, the Senate Finance Committee, which will remain in Democratic control, could step in and request the documents, carrying out its own assessment of the presidential audit process. That, Hemel said, could motivate Congress to make legislative changes to the process if necessary — or “make a referral to the Justice Department for prosecution if the facts warranted.” From there, the committee could release the documents to the full Senate, by making such a referral or designating another legitimate reason to do so.

Given the scope of the Ways and Means Committee’s reasoning for requesting Trump’s tax returns, the public likely won’t see those documents any time soon. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t — or that we never will.

56 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s about two hours ENE of me

Good to see you have power, bro!  Though all those others don't due to serious serious serious jerkwaddie nazis.

Wow.  I was super prophetic accidentally with my footer.   SMAC ahead of its time by decades.

Billionaires own every mass media.  Right now I trust Musk>Bezos & Slim & their followers.  There's actually an enormous market opportunity for actual reporting right now, if the establishment doesnt crush you..  

Cant stop the signal. 

It seems at least some republican leaders are fine with Trumps statement about negating parts of the constitution.

Trump's call to suspend Constitution not a 2024 deal-breaker, House Republican says (msn.com)

Joyce initially declined to respond, saying he didn't know what Trump said on social media and that the public wasn't "interested in looking backwards." But Stephanopoulos pressed further, and Joyce ultimately said that Trump's comment should be taken "in context" but that it wouldn't prevent him from supporting Trump if he ends up winning the nomination. 

"It's early. I think there's going to be a lot of people in the primary ... [but] I will support whoever the Republican nominee is," Joyce said while noting he didn't think Trump would manage to win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination because there are "a lot of other good quality candidates out there."

"That's a remarkable statement," Stephanopoulos said. "You just said you'd support a candidate who's come out for suspending the Constitution."

MORE: Jeffries plays down chances of Dems voting for GOP 'compromise' speaker over McCarthy

"Well, you know, he says a lot of things," Joyce said, adding, "I can't be really chasing every one of these crazy statements that come from any of these candidates."

"You can't come out against someone who's for suspending the Constitution?" Stephanopoulos pushed back once again.

"He says a lot of things, but that doesn't mean that it's ever going to happen. So you got to [separate] fact from fantasy -- and fantasy is that we're going to suspend the Constitution and go backwards. We're moving forward," Joyce said.

Remember.  We're all people.  Powerful people that highlight our differences are trying to divide us to keep themselves at the top.  Listen to the people that stress why we each have value.    Hear people out that talk about why we need to come together instead of people that talk about why we need to eliminate those others.

Historically it's been made clear that polarizing people is the best path for temporal power, but in your own life, I implore you to find common ground with your neighbors.  If you're hearing something from any billionaire owned company, check your math.

It's literally billions of us against thousands of them.

13 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Hear people out that talk about why we need to come together instead of people that talk about why we need to eliminate those others.

I've "heard you out" many times over the years and the only time I've ever heard you talking about people coming together is in the dating thread.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've "heard you out" many times over the years and the only time I've ever heard you talking about people coming together is in the dating thread.

That's half funny.  

We're not in an R v D thing actually.  We're in an entrenched elite/oligarchy v the rest of us.  And if you can't get Hunter level of money for your art work or your energy extraction expertise, which side do you think you're on?

2 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

We're not in an R v D thing actually.  We're in an entrenched elite/oligarchy v the rest of us.  And if you can't get Hunter level of money for your art work or your energy extraction expertise, which side do you think you're on?

LOL.  You can't even finish a paragraph trying to act like "we're not in an R v D thing" without mentioning Hunter Biden.  There's no reason to take you seriously.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

We're in an entrenched elite/oligarchy v the rest of us. 

The sad thing is, you're right - but you're not on the side of that divide that you think you are.

ps on another note, why do media commentators like Stephanopolous, above, keep saying that Trump called for 'suspension' of the constitution? He did not use the word 'suspension'. He said 'termination'. It's as if people can't bring themselves to believe that he meant what he said, so they've inserted what they think he meant.

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

That's half funny.  

So when are you moving to Acapulco?

On 12/3/2022 at 1:42 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Again, I'm not against striking in general, I just think when it interrupts transportation in the current times it probably does more harm than good, turns people against the workers and in this specific example it would probably achieve nothing.   

Actually, I think you'll find that the striking rail workers in the UK currently enjoy massive public support.

No doubt in no small part due to the now legendary dismantling of Tory wankers by the leader of the RMT, Mick Lynch.

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Actually, I think you'll find that the striking rail workers in the UK currently enjoy massive public support.

No doubt in no small part due to the now legendary dismantling of Tory wankers by the leader of the RMT, Mick Lynch.

Don't assume the US is like the UK on this one.

Archived