US politics - have you no sense of decency, sir?

IheartIheartTesla

16 hours ago, LongRider said:

Not tired of all his losing. 

One does presume that Dearie's not disappointed to be dismissed from his special assignment . . . .

In the meantime just watched Obama and the Georgia voters having fun together over vampire vs werewolf preferences.  None of the voters, including himself, could stop laughing.  Actually, guffawing, is more accurate.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

...and Georgia has almost 200 counties for some reason)...

OT, but county sizes East of the Mississippi are geographically tiny.  California, Arizona, and Nevada all have counties larger than nine of the smaller states, with both Arizona and Nevada having several such counties.

Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia all have particularly small-sized counties relative to their state size.  And so local government can vary significantly in a relatively short distance.

For example, when I was a resident of Kentucky, the height of irony was that Bourbon County was a dry county.  Now, however, it is wet.  But back in the day, you couldn't buy Bourbon in Bourbon, you had to drive over to Lexington in Fayette County.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

OT, but county sizes East of the Mississippi are geographically tiny.  California, Arizona, and Nevada all have counties larger than nine of the smaller states, with both Arizona and Nevada having several such counties.

Yes, but Georgia is still an outlier.  Georgia has 159 counties, second only to Texas.  In contrast, Florida and Alabama both have 67 counties each.  Approximately half of the Georgia counties have less than 25k people in them.  

On 11/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Welcome to how the world works? Trust me, I want to burn it all down too, but it's not realistic. At least not right now. 

Spare me the patronizing bs. 

Asking Biden to publicly push for 7 days paid leave is "wanting to burn it all down?".  How is what I said "unfair" to Biden or congressional Dem leadership?  Asking them to actually do one fucking thing to support workers over shareholders is unfair?  

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's hilarious that McCarthy still doesn't have the votes from his caucus to become Speaker, per CNN. What an absolute shitshow. 

I mean, four years ago Pelosi didn't secure the requisite votes until December 12th.

58 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This is a bad idea…

Well, Iowa getting the boot was a given based on the DNC's criteria.  South Carolina leapfrogging NH is a bit of a surprise - and it will be interesting to see the latter's reaction (here's Sununu's statement).  In terms of the Democratic primary, it's a boon to black voters as well as - as the tweet mentions - ideal for Biden.  

Anyway, the more interesting thing is Michigan got in over Minnesota, and also Georgia getting into the top 5.  There was a valid concern that states as big as Michigan and Georgia give a disadvantage to lesser known candidates due to how expensive their media markets are and how it curbs the "retail" aspect of early primaries.

This the J6 grand jury, and the two Pat's lost in court for executive privilege and had to testify.  

Former Trump White House counsel Pat Cipollone was seen entering the grand jury area at the US District Courthouse in Washington Friday morning, indicating the Justice Department has compelled him to answer more questions in the January 6 criminal investigation despite challenges from Donald Trump’s legal team.

He was seen with his attorney, Michael Purpura. Purpura has not responded to requests for comment.

Former Trump deputy White House counsel Patrick Philbin was also seen entering the building on Friday. He was alone and went directly to the area where the grand jury meets.

Thomas Windom and Mary Dohrmann, prosecutors in the January 6 investigation who are now to be led by special counsel Jack Smith, were also seen walking in with Cipollone. 

Former Trump White House counsel and his deputy enter DC federal courthouse | CNN Politics

9 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Spare me the patronizing bs. 

Asking Biden to publicly push for 7 days paid leave is "wanting to burn it all down?".  How is what I said "unfair" to Biden or congressional Dem leadership?  Asking them to actually do one fucking thing to support workers over shareholders is unfair?  

Didn't the Dems try though, Larry? They can't force Pub Sens across the aisle.  

Even the measure to give the parties more time got defeated. Could the Feds/Dems have forced binding arbitration instead? That might've been the way first, iono.

We've had this discussion in the past, right, about those two lily-white states having an oversized influence on the direction the Democratic party takes, particularly in light of its diverse coalition. In contrast, those states are probably perfect for the GoP.

Still think primary season is too long and they should have about 4 super Tuesdays for 4 quadrants of the country, but meh. Small steps.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

In the meantime just watched Obama and the Georgia voters having fun together over vampire vs werewolf preferences.  None of the voters, including himself, could stop laughing.  Actually, guffawing, is more accurate.  :lol:

Here it is, looks like fun.    

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's hilarious that McCarthy still doesn't have the votes from his caucus to become Speaker, per CNN. What an absolute shitshow. 

So...maybe the 'moderate' R House members nominate somebody sane who then gets all of the D's to vote for him? 

24 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Still think primary season is too long and they should have about 4 super Tuesdays for 4 quadrants of the country, but meh. Small steps.

Again, I think the value of having early primaries is underestimated in having a true competition.  A national primary day, or even just 4 Super Tuesdays, is going to heavily advantage the frontrunner.  You might as well just have 538's polling average choose the nominee.  And maybe that's what some normatively want! 

But I'd just mention that if Florida and Michigan weren't stripped of their delegates in 2008 - and subsequently treated as legitimate contests by both the campaigns and the media - Hillary Clinton almost certainly would have won the nomination.  The Obama campaign was extremely concerned about this because they understood the primary and delegate process (which is why they won).  You can still pare down the primary calendar significantly without completely abolishing early primaries.

Archived