Ordos

This is a great Netflix series that just came out. I just finished watching episode 3. Unfortunately I spoiled it for myself because I watched the behind the scenes documentary for the series. And yet even with the fact that I'm spoiled for the ending, there are still many unanswered questions.

I liked the multi language/multi culture setting. This is a horror/sci fi series. So the story is about a ship in the year 1899 on voyage from Europe to North America. On the way the ship crosses paths with another ship that is mysteriously abandoned. As the story progresses, there are more and more strange happenings and everything is not as it seems. Then there are the passengers; all of them have a past they seem to want to flee from.

I love this series. 

Spoiler

This series feels like Westworld meets The Matrix. I'm hoping Season 2 will be sub-titled 1999 ;)

I really enjoyed Dark, so I'm looking forward to watching the show. We watched two episodes, but then pivoted to start Yellowstone (since we got Peacock for the World Cup).

1899 reminds me a bit of Lost, where all the passengers have mysterious backstories that will be revealed in time. A Lost/Titanic mash-up I didn't know I wanted, but now I do.

20 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Is this show taking place in the Dark universe? One of its leading actors is the guy who played adult Jonas in Dark and it has a measure of time as its title.

I’ve seen 3 episodes, so I won’t rule it out entirely, but it wouldn’t make any sense for this ship’s captain to be Jonas. So I doubt it. I guess they just liked the actor.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Is this show taking place in the Dark universe? One of its leading actors is the guy who played adult Jonas in Dark and it has a measure of time as its title.

Just the same showrunners, as far as I know. If the Captain starts disappearing, then maybe it is in fact a cross-over. :)

Loved Dark.  But 1899 is a bit too obvious what's happening from maybe as early as episode 2.  I have about an episode and a half left to go.  Hopefully there is a bigger twist that makes it more interesting by the end.

The characters are a little underdeveloped to be interesting.  Some of the dialogue was awful, when they state what it is happening as it is happening, but so far that's only a couple of lines that made me cringe.  I think I want to just watch Dark again.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

…although in spite of my previous post, I do find myself perceiving 1899 through the same lens as Dark. I can’t shake the feeling that the boy and the strange man are the same person (not looking for spoilers on that if it turns out to be true). But I doubt that would even cross my mind if not for Dark.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Hopefully there is a bigger twist that makes it more interesting by the end.

Hahahahahahaha yeah that's a good twist.  Not really surprising and not really doing anything new but i'll watch another season.

Spoilers beware

Spoiler

So im not sure I liked it in the end. Seemed convoluted for the sake of being convoluted with a lot of dead end plots. Now granted after season 1 of dark one might have been able to say the same thing so I will give it a go when/if a sequel series comes.

Making it a simulation is kind of boring honestly. I was hoping they'd ape bloodborne and do something that isn't relatively commonplace but no such luck. Didn't help that the end was basically a downer version of the end of the US Life on Mars.

What is the point of Olek? Of making the two Chinese women pretend to be Japanese?

Watched the 1st episode. Good, but not quite great. The use of creepy music was good, but not as good as in Dark. However, haunted ships are one of the best horror mediums, so I'm willing to go on. Colorful characters and I like that we get all this mix of nationalities and they all speak their own language. It's funny how people can get the gist of what someone else is saying even if they don't understand the words.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Just watched the first episode and i don't know WTF is going on but it really good, don't know what the hell people are on about it being slow !! Completely hooked. 

Onwards! :D

Yep! I definately need help with this one.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Loved Dark.  But 1899 is a bit too obvious what's happening from maybe as early as episode 2.  I have about an episode and a half left to go.  Hopefully there is a bigger twist that makes it more interesting by the end.

I think I've got 2 episodes to go, I don't think I would have said too obvious but my sense of things has been pretty close so far. I have been trusting there was going to be more to it both because trust in them from Dark, but also because I had the impression it was going to be a story planned over more than 1 season like Dark was. I'm pretty sure I thought I knew where Dark was going with 2 episodes left in the first season and there was so so much more to that. So I assumed the finale/start of the second season will open things up a lot more.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:38 AM, DaveSumm said:

…although in spite of my previous post, I do find myself perceiving 1899 through the same lens as Dark. I can’t shake the feeling that the boy and the strange man are the same person (not looking for spoilers on that if it turns out to be true). But I doubt that would even cross my mind if not for Dark.

Big time for getting this vibe almost immediately and probably the same reason as you lol. 

I double checked and I'm about 20% into episode 7, so spoilers potentially up to there below

Spoiler

I really liked them finding the ship plating behind the walls and the apparent sky after going downstairs for the way it ruled out a simulation scenario. The shot of the cracked glass in midair after throwing the gun/something else was a phenomenal moment.

Still plenty of confusion about what exactly is going on even within the areas I got right, that shot of all the wrecked ships just sitting there was amazing. Highly doubting that the whole show is in 1899, half expecting that none of it is - I was watching it far too late last night so I'm forgetting which shots were what, but either the thing with Daniel or the Dad looked at least contemporary to now if not future. 

Ah yeah, I think it was Daniel's flash back with Maura just before the siren went off. Speaking of Daniel, that's one area I was completely off base - I thought he was going to be her brother. I've got to guess the boy is now?

Archived