The Death of Hazzea

Craving Peaches

Assuming Hazzea the little girl did die, and it wasn't just a ruse by the father as the Shavepate suggests, was there anything Daenerys could or should have done beforehand to prevent this tragedy? A lot of people seem against locking up the dragons, but they are essentially very dangerous, almost wild animals, and it was a quite surprising that something like this didn't occur until then, given that Daenerys just lets Drogo fly around unsupervised. Would a hypothetical 'reasonable person'* have locked up the dragons sooner in Daenerys' place? Or was it just a completely unforeseeable accident?

*I am not saying that Daenerys is unreasonable, I am just asking whether by an objective standard the risks of the dragons should have been foreseen and something done to prevent it earlier.

53 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

How would she go about training them though? Who does she have that knows about training dragons?

No one, aside maybe from some people of Asshai if what's said about them is partially true. Though I doubt that Daenerys will go to Asshai, not until her end imo (it could be where Drogon took her in GOT finale), and Ashai' i's mentality and motives are mysterious to say the least.

Dany may learn to better tame Drogon and her other dragons on her own during her adventures in the Dothraki Sea during TWOW, but she won't be Aegon the Conqueror on Balerion or Daemon on Caraxes in terms of experience and skills.

4 hours ago, Rondo said:

The father was lying.  Get a free handout by handing over the bones of a burned slave.  It was a lie.  A scam.

7 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Assuming Hazzea the little girl did die, and it wasn't just a ruse by the father as the Shavepate suggests

But there is not enough proof either way. It may well be that the girl did die. If so, could Daenerys have taken any action to prevent it?

3 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Dany should have added her dragons to Daznaks Pit. The crowds would gather to see them burn and eat law-breakers. 

Would be an interesting move by Dany. Absolutely no-one would volunteer to fight the dragon, and the show would be stalled on the first act. Result - no blood spilled. Just what she wanted.

My opinion:  Yes, Hazea did die.  Yes, Drogon did kill her.

I'm not sure I care to express an opinion on what Dany should have done differently.

But I will say that the problem is not going to go away.  This incident foreshadows worse to come.  Drogon is a monster, and at some point, someone is going to have to slay the monster.  I don't necessarily think it applies to all dragons; but I do think it applies to Drogon.

One thing which I am guessing Dany should never have done, is bond fully with Drogon, as (I guess) she finally does at the end of DANCE.  My guess is that, by doing so, she has lost her true and better Self, at least temporarily.  She will recover her true self only after ditching Drogon.  Three mounts must she ride.

12 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

A lot of people seem against locking up the dragons, but they are essentially very dangerous, almost wild animals, and it was a quite surprising that something like this didn't occur until then, given that Daenerys just lets Drogo fly around unsupervised.

We have not seen such hunting behavior from Viserion or Rhaegal yet.  Rhaegal is murderously dangerous, but he does not seem to attack humans when hunting.  Viserion has not attacked humans unprovoked.

We don't see such hunting behavior in the Targ histories either, IIRC, but in that case, it may be that pro-Targ historians suppressed such evidence.

9 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Given that there is no forensic testing, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell whether the remains that were presented were those of child or not.

They were definitely the bones of a child.  The only question was whether they were the bones of a child killed by Drogon.

Archived