Regarding TV-show images

Potsk

I haven't really kept up with the forum for a while, only hanging around on the wiki, but I must voice my disagreement with a decision made here that disallows any and all images from the TV-series as main article images. To be clear, I don't want to see eyepatchless Euron, handsome Tyrion, or Valyrians with unremarkable eye colors, but I think it does no harm if a TV image is used so long as it makes no contradictions to descriptions in the books, which there are many examples of: are House of the Dragon's Ryam Redwyne or Harrold Westerling inaccurate appearance-wise? For lack of other depictions, I don't see why we shouldn't use actors' portrayals, or especially TV depictions of dragons which really are just artists' depictions but done highly professionally.

I fundamentaly disagree, if you start to mix TV-show with book the line while blurr realy fast. Personnaly i think we should have no TV-images on bookpages at all, not even lower down on the page. Book pages should be about the books otherwise where does it end? First you put up pictures and then from there it might spirall out of control and you get al kinds of references to the shows instead of it beëing about the books.

That the primary image in the infobox of a bookpage has to be a bookaccurate one but show images are allowed lower down on the page is already a compromise, and i do not think we should go any further than that.

8 hours ago, direpupy said:

I fundamentaly disagree, if you start to mix TV-show with book the line while blurr realy fast. Personnaly i think we should have no TV-images on bookpages at all, not even lower down on the page. Book pages should be about the books otherwise where does it end? First you put up pictures and then from there it might spirall out of control and you get al kinds of references to the shows instead of it beëing about the books.

I do not see it this way. You are looking at this from an excessively purist mindset. Nothing will "spiral out of control" and the wiki won't be taken over by the TV series because a few minor characters have live action images or dragons have CGI images. As for your question "where does it end," I already said where it ends: images that make no contradictions are okay, others are not.

What makes a drawn illustration of a character by a third party more "accurate" anyhow?

We are a book wiki, not a TV show wiki, and so it makes sense that the main image for any article should be based directly on the book and its descriptions of characters, events, scenes, places, etc. and not on the TV show rendition of these things.

As others say, secondary images could be drawn from the TV show.

I'd love to get a list of charcter pages where we only have TV show images, or no images at all, some time. It feels like this may be a place that the new means of AI art could prove useful.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

We are a book wiki, not a TV show wiki

When was this decided? Currently and as long as I can remember, the "About the Wiki" section on the main page has said "A Wiki of Ice and Fire is fan-created for George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO's Game of Thrones."

9 minutes ago, Potsk said:

When was this decided? Currently and as long as I can remember, the "About the Wiki" section on the main page has said "A Wiki of Ice and Fire is fan-created for George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO's Game of Thrones."

Book wiki first, TV wiki second, which is why book images are first and TV show images are secondary?

There is a TV-show focused wiki out there that reverses the order of these things.

12 hours ago, Potsk said:

I do not see it this way. You are looking at this from an excessively purist mindset. Nothing will "spiral out of control" and the wiki won't be taken over by the TV series because a few minor characters have live action images or dragons have CGI images. As for your question "where does it end," I already said where it ends: images that make no contradictions are okay, others are not.

What makes a drawn illustration of a character by a third party more "accurate" anyhow?

Thats a stupid accusation, there is nothing purist about it. Like Ran said its a book wiki, the pages on the TV-show's are there as informative but are not the focus.

As for the accurate part, we have in the past removed inaccurate artwork as wel, now that does not mean al artwork is 100% accurate but most come close, TV images can never come close to book accurate where artwork can.

22 hours ago, Ran said:

I'd love to get a list of charcter pages where we only have TV show images, or no images at all, some time. It feels like this may be a place that the new means of AI art could prove useful.

A category for characters without images already exists here.

8 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

A category for characters without images already exists here.

Hmm, lots of characters with no textual descriptions at all. I wonder if there'd be a way to find those that have an Appearance entry besides manually checking... 

Can we get the "Without Images" category to appear on the page for the character, with the other categories that are relevant? Then eventually Google should have that in its cache and then one can search for all pages that have Appearance + the category.

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

Hmm, lots of characters with no textual descriptions at all. I wonder if there'd be a way to find those that have an Appearance entry besides manually checking... 

Can we get the "Without Images" category to appear on the page for the character, with the other categories that are relevant? Then eventually Google should have that in its cache and then one can search for all pages that have Appearance + the category.

You want a list of characters with an appearance but without an image? That can be done with the infobox template directly.

17 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

You want a list of characters with an appearance but without an image? That can be done with the infobox template directly.

That would be ideal, if that makes sense? I can see a lot of "Appearance" for characters are very brief, of course, as most characters who have detailed descriptions have already been drawn and it's those that have none or very little who are not given any. But just seeing which non-imaged characters actually do have any kind of Appearance entry where whatever description that exists is provided would be useful. FWIW, an artist from RotD has offered to try and do some pieces for the wiki of characters and such who haven't been depicted yet, so prioritizing characters who have descriptions but no images would be ideal.

17 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

I think I misunderstood. You want character pages with an "Appearance" section but no image, right? I understood pages without image, but with the "Books" parameter in the infobox containing "appears". :blink:

Ah, yes, I meant an "Appearance" section that provide whatever descriptions there are for how the character looks. Basically to easily find characters who for some reason no one has depicted but there's details to base a depiction on...

Two I found with browsing are Anya Waynwood and Boremund Baratheon, they've enough details for an artist to take a crack at them.

2 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

This would be a perfect task for a bot, but I haven't been able to get one working so far.

What do you think of having the category "Character without images" appear in the categories listing for a character? I'm not sure what mediates that. Then we could try the Google thing once Google crawls the wiki again.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

What do you think of having the category "Character without images" appear in the categories listing for a character? I'm not sure what mediates that. Then we could try the Google thing once Google crawls the wiki again.

Done, I removed the __HIDDENCAT__ tag.

Archived