Regarding TV-show images

Potsk

Note: My comment is not related to TV-show images but since this post has been growing outside of this scope lately, I think this is the right place to ask my question.

I was wondering something concerning the depictions of Areo Hotah in the Wiki (link here).

Despite the fact that we don't have a description regarding his facial hair or lack thereof in the books, all the art we currently have depicts him with a beard. It is wrong, right ?

In Norvos only the Bearded Priests are allowed to have beards, the rest of the Norvoshi have mustache or no hair at all (TWOIAF, The Free Cities: Norvos). While Areo has been away from Norvos from decades now, when in doubt he always goes back to the teachings of the Bearded Priests ("Serve. Protect. Obey.") he learned in his youth. It seems to me Areo would not wear a beard which is sacrilegious from the Norvoshi point of view. Thoughts ?

Areo does have white hair, though, which in itself is a contradiction of the rules of the religion he was raised in, no?

It seems to me he drifted. That said... yeah, maybe he wouldn't have had a beard. At least, it's never noted by anyone, and probably could have been -- if not by Areo himself, than by Arianne.

ETA: Also, added a few new images to the wiki that we've generated. Particularly pleased with Artos Stark, as I was rather ... bloody-minded with that one.

• 1 month later...

Two replacements I've wanted to make of earlier images I tried is now up: Silver Denys, now featuring a proper scene rather than just a portrait. I also realized that I probably made the first take too old.

And Xhondo Dhoru in his magnificent feathered cloak (before plunging into the canal to save Sam, presumably). Much happier with that one, the other one looked too dour.

Curiously, I can find no details as to what the Summer Islanders wear besides their feathered capes, yet they surely must wear something else, it's just never described. I've at least given him pantaloons.

• 2 weeks later...

Those were made by us as well. But surely we have art for those characters already? Or at least Daena and Alyn?

We do have them for Daena and Alyn, so I'm not sure it's needed, but I think if people want to include them as additional images to illustrate the pages, we've no issue with it.  I believe Linda generated those two, while I did Maron.

(She is planning to eventually revisit those images, BTW. Things have been advancing rapidly and we've been getting better at generating characters.)

39 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

@Ran

Can you tell what Stanton Piper holds in his right hand?

Greathelm with a crest featuring the head of the dancing maiden. 

It's actually based on a piece of royalty-free clip art we purchased years ago, which I always thought would suit a Piper because of the crest. 

I've got a knight on horseback from the same source that might become Leo Longthorn.

Again using the same royalty free art -- I think they came from some sort of book published by Dover -- we now have Robb Reyne.

I've got three more of these. One will definitely be Leo Longthorn, I think, and one will have to be a Swann (it has a swan crest and even wings).

12 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

@Ran, is Pinkmaiden in the background of Melony's image?

Generic castle, not an attempt at Pinkmaiden. And, erp, just noticed one of those crenellations is weird. Will edit it, or maybe make a new try at Melony now that we've gotten better at it.

Archived