Why did Stannis not tell Robert about the Incest or warn him his Life could be in Danger?

Craving Peaches

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

His duty is to inform the king though, as Jon Arryn is dead so the King is not aware of the threat, surely the next thing duty dictates is to inform the king himself?. And by fleeing the city he is also failing in his duty to attend council meetings and perform his duties as master of ships. I have no problem with it, were it not for the fact that Stannis goes on about how dutiful he is.

As I said earlier, Robert left the city very quickly after Jon died, so time would have been a huge factor for Stannis here. And even if he'd told Robert his suspicions about Jon Arryn and Cersei, Robert probably wouldn't have paid much attention. He never had before. Which was why Stannis went to Jon Arryn in the first place; so that Robert wouldn't dismiss Stannis out of reflex. With Jon dead, why would Robert do anything other than assume Stannis was trying to take advantage of the whole situation?

Because Stannis wanted to be king.

If he tells Robert, and Cersei and her kids are executed, Robert would marry again or worst case scenario legitimize Edric Storm as his sucessor. Robert would not let Stannis be his sucessor and Stannis knows it.

Stannis was willing to let Robert die and kill Renly to become king.

3 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

As I said earlier, Robert left the city very quickly after Jon died, so time would have been a huge factor for Stannis here. And even if he'd told Robert his suspicions about Jon Arryn and Cersei, Robert probably wouldn't have paid much attention. He never had before. Which was why Stannis went to Jon Arryn in the first place; so that Robert wouldn't dismiss Stannis out of reflex. With Jon dead, why would Robert do anything other than assume Stannis was trying to take advantage of the whole situation?

I think Jaime actually points that out in the show; it looks dreadfully convenient that Stannis, the man who has the most to gain from such allegations (admittedly true though I'm surprised Cersei didn't deny them) about Cersei and her children, would be the one to figure it out/make the news known.

7 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Renly talks a big game of liking Ned, but he still abandoned him because Ned wouldn’t give him what he wanted.

He abandons Ned for the exact same reason Stannis abandoned Robert - self preservation. He didn't want to go along with Ned's suicide plan.

8 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

He also mocks and derides Stannis for going to war against him when that’s exactly what he’s doing as well.

He mocks Stannis going to war against him specifically because he has a tiny shitty little army to fight him with, not just because he went to war with him.

And you will destroy me? With what, pray? That paltry rabble I see there huddled under the castle walls?

It's the small size of army and lack of quality that he mocks Stannis for.

Stannis himself thinks they're poor quality.

Tonight I am to sup with my lords bannermen, such as they are. Celtigar, Velaryon, Bar Emmon, the whole paltry lot of them. A poor crop, if truth be told, but they are what my brothers have left me.

9 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

And the people who cry foul over Stannis killing his brother conveniently forget that Renly was going to have Stannis killed too. 

I don't think so. Stannis was going to die if he didn't yield, but Renly's not ordering him to be killed. Stannis dying to Renly's troops in battle (with no orders from Renly to kill him)  Stannis taking a direct hand in killing Renly via Shadow Demon.

15 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Terrorist fake king Renly

:crying:

16 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

absolutely knew Cersei was boinking her brother. He says he didn't know, and accused Stannis of making the story up. But his actions prove the lie. He and Loras were plotting to marry Margaery to Robert, and that would only be possible with Cersei out of the picture. Let's be honest here; Cersei and Jaime's infidelity was the worst kept secret in Kings Landing, and only three people ever really bothered to try and prove that to the King: Ned, Jon Arryn, and Stannis. Renly didn't do anything at all to warn the King about Cersei's betrayal. Renly's actions were only ever to benefit Renly. That's what makes him a hypocrite.

The issue is I believe the Author himself has confirmed Renly did not know about the incest. Also, if Renly did know he would instantly tell Robert because it almost guarantees his Margaery plan will succeed.

12 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

So he essentially went to Dragonstone to sulk?

Pretty much yes, that and to wait for Robert to die.

7 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Renly talks a big game of liking Ned, but he still abandoned him because Ned wouldn’t give him what he wanted.

More like because Ned's final decision was foolish and would doom him and Renly did not want to be dragged too.

And whereas Renly makes clear that he is fond of Ned, he also makes clear his neck goes first.

8 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

He could have helped prevent the Lannisters from taking over,

I'm pretty sure you can count, Renly could not have prevented the Lannisters from taking over if he followed Ned's plan.

Hence why he bolts after Ned rejects their only viable way out.

10 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

He also mocks and derides Stannis for going to war against him when that’s exactly what he’s doing as well.

He mocks and derides Stannis for picking a losing side, not that he knew about the magic.

11 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

And the people who cry foul over Stannis killing his brother conveniently forget that Renly was going to have Stannis killed too. 

Stannis went to Storm's End with the unique intention of seeing Renly ded.

11 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Terrorist fake king Renly absolutely knew Cersei was boinking her brother.

He did not know.

12 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

He and Loras were plotting to marry Margaery to Robert, and that would only be possible with Cersei out of the picture.

Neither Cersei nor Pycelle believes so.

Nor is Renly a man who bases his plan on whatever the law says. He makes it pretty clear that might makes law.

So, so long he believes his faction has the might, he will happily step pver any ancient tradition.

13 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Let's be honest here; Cersei and Jaime's infidelity was the worst kept secret in Kings Landing,

And yet it took twelve years and Littlefinger hinting it to Stannis for him and Jon Arryn to pick up.

That's certainly odd.

15 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Renly didn't do anything at all to warn the King about Cersei's betrayal.

Unless he did not know about it.

Renly's only purpose to marry Robert to Margaery is to get Cersei out of the way, if Renly knew about the twincest why not tell Robert?

Robert would no doubt kill Cersei and if Tywin  and Jaime were dumb enough to go to war over it, they'd die too. Seems like an easy plan... As opposed to have to use portraits of Maegaery and pray for her to look like Lyanna lol.

17 minutes ago, frenin said:

Renly's only purpose to marry Robert to Margaery is to get Cersei out of the way, if Renly knew about the twincest why not tell Robert?

Robert would no doubt kill Cersei and if Tywin  and Jaime were dumb enough to go to war over it, they'd die too. Seems like an easy plan... As opposed to have to use portraits of Maegaery and pray for her to look like Lyanna lol.

And how was Renly going to do that? It isn't as if Robert is going to divorce Cersei since that's almost unheard of (the only King known to divorce his queen was Baelor the Blessed), and Joffrey would likely murder any kids Robert had with Margaery. If Robert takes Margaery as his mistress that's still a no gain since they would only be bastards, they wouldn't be able to sit the Iron Throne even if Robert declared his "children" with Cersei illegitimate via annulment (ie Henry VIII declaring Mary illegitimate after annulling his his marriage with Catherine of Aragon, or Rhaegar annuling his marriage with Elia in the show).

1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

And how was Renly going to do that?

He would likely tell Robert to issue a decree.

1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

It isn't as if Robert is going to divorce Cersei since that's almost unheard of (the only King known to divorce his queen was Baelor the Blessed),

Both Cersei and Pycelle believe that Robert can set Cersei aside even without the twincest.

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

and Joffrey would likely murder any kids Robert had with Margaery.

Renly doesn't care.

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

they wouldn't be able to sit the Iron Throne even if Robert declared his "children" with Cersei illegitimate via annulment (ie Henry VIII declaring Elizabeth illegitimate after her mother Anne Boleyn was beheaded).

Renly does not care about that. He just wants Cersei out of the picture and Margaery gives him that.

12 minutes ago, frenin said:

Both Cersei and Pycelle believe that Robert can set Cersei aside even without the twincest.

Renly doesn't care.

Renly does not care about that. He just wants Cersei out of the picture and Margaery gives him that.

If it were that easy both Kings Aerys would have annulled their marriages, Aerys I because he'd rather take books to bed and Aerys II because he hated Rhaella and didn't want to marry her in the first place.

Renly might not care, but Mace might. It's abundantly clear that Mace wanted a grandchild on the Iron Throne and Joffrey is an obstacle to that, an obstacle who carves up pregnant cats and wouldn't think twice about doing so to an infant. If Robert takes Margaery as his mistress he's no closer to having his grandkids on the Iron Throne.

6 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

If it were that easy both Kings Aerys would have annulled their marriages, Aerys I because he'd rather take books to bed and Aerys II because he hated Rhaella and didn't want to marry her in the first place.

Neither of them wanted to set aside their marriages.

Aerys I simply ignored his wife and Aerys II enjoyed tormenting him.

7 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Renly might not care, but Mace might.

Hence why Renly and Lorascare trying to convince him.

7 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

It's abundantly clear that Mace wanted a grandchild on the Iron Throne and Joffrey is an obstacle to that, an obstacle who carves up pregnant cats and wouldn't think twice about doing so to an infant.

It's clear when he has all the cards and can dictate his term with both Renly and Tywin.

It's nit clear his stance with Robert. Especially given that the Tyrells were ostracized from power.

10 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

If Robert takes Margaery as his mistress he's no closer to having his grandkids on the Iron Throne.

Wife.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

That would make sense if it weren't for the fact that Stannis and Davos speak about how dutiful he is supposed to be. Not informing Robert is not dutiful. He was obliged to inform Robert because Robert was his king, even if he didn't like him or thought he wouldn't listen.

This is a likely explanation, but for it to work, Stannis can't be duty above all. So it seems he is being selective in how he applies his duty rule...

There are two ways you can go about analysing this: 

I) Stannis is indeed very dutiful and in his mind he needed to tell Robert about that, but he also is a seasoned war veteran and man, who knows the difference between loyalty/dutifulness and stupidity. If we follow this line of thinking, it is logical to believe that Stannis tought that Robert wouldn't believe him and he would draw the atention of the Lannisters to the fact that he knew about the incest or at least suspected it, which could endanger him, which in fact was what happened when he tried to use lord arryn to help unveil the plot.
As everyone knows, Robert didn't like Stannis, and slighted his brother more than once, i don't remember exactly the passage but in the second book Tyrion comments that something Robert did to stannis could be percieved as a slight, and Cersei said that it was meant as one, now we all know Cersei isn't the most reliable one and that she didn't like Robert at all, but i fail to see how lying about Robert wanting to slight stannis would earn her anything, so i do believe this situation, which lends further proof to the overbearing evidence that the Stannis-Robert relationship was unapalatable.
Since it was so unpalatable i don't think its a wrong conclussion that Robert wouldn't believe him if he simply told it, and even if Robert would believe it, you have to take in consideration the feelings of Stannis, i know we are led to see him as a man of steel with almost no feelings besides righteousness or anger, but the first insight we get into Stannis's formation, his backstory so to speak, is him telling Davos about how he didn't believe in gods because he felt cheated by them in his youth, i think this serves to set the tone that Stannis is a very spiteful charachter, who feels that he has been cheated all his life (not without much reason tbh), and that can really mess with your judgement, i invite you to look into your own life and think about times when your spite for someone or general mood in the moment (be it anger or sadness) led you not to make the most adequate decision or the right one, you will probably find enough of them to fill a pantry.

II) More linked to the end of point I, you could see Stanni's belief of Duty as a reciprocal one, like "One owes duty to another only if the other does his duty". Now, do we have evidence that Stannis could think like that? I think we do, and that would be his converison to the Red God, as stated before Stannis didn't believe in the Seven because he felt CHEATED by them, slighted, so to speak, and thus they had failed in their duty to him, because to him they had slighted him when he didn't give them reason to do so. 
I think we can all agree that Stannis probably see respect for religion as a duty, as most people in all societies do, and that departing from one to join another is a big breach of duty, so we would need an explanation for him compromising on his duty belief to go after another faith, which i believe this feeling of being slighted serves pretty well as. 
That being said, we can trace paralels between the gods and Robert in this case, both where the object of Stannis's duties, both where supposed to, in a sense, also give something in return for duty (The gods should have been more just with him, otherwise he wouldn't have felt cheated, and Robert should have given storms end to him instead of renly, or named him hand instead of ned), since both failed in their duties, to Stannis it may have seemed fair game to not do his to Robert. 

I don't buy the second one so much because it would lend a kind of malice and egoism to Stannis that i don't think fits the situation, i think its more probable that the accumulated spite and the circunstances led to the judgement i talk about in question I. 

Mind you, this isn't incompatible with him being hypocritical, the Ist option would imply he failed his duty, altough i don't know if that's hypocrisy so much as a simple failure on his part, he didn't set out to deliberately fail his duty or slight his brother, he simply failed to live up to his duty, maybe the IInd theory could be a rationalization and work together with the first one. 

I think that, in the end, we shall never know the true reasoning for Stannis's actions since he's a POV, so by nature all speculation on that field should be open-ended.

2 minutes ago, The Red Prince said:

II) More linked to the end of point I, you could see Stanni's belief of Duty as a reciprocal one, like "One owes duty to another only if the other does his duty". Now, do we have evidence that Stannis could think like that? I think we do, and that would be his converison to the Red God, as stated before Stannis didn't believe in the Seven because he felt CHEATED by them, slighted, so to speak, and thus they had failed in their duty to him, because to him they had slighted him when he didn't give them reason to do so. 

Interesting point, however does the fact that Stannis had a hard time choosing between Aerys and Robert not indicate that he doesn't view duty in such a reciprocal manner? Aerys had arguably failed in his duty to Stannis' house by wishing to have Robert executed for no justifiable reason.

The main issue is that the way it is portrayed in the story, legally speaking duty owed to the king seems to be unconditional. It doesn't matter if the king is incompetent, foolish or mad. Now obviously people are justified in not doing their duty to such a bad king, however it still could not be classed as dutiful. So I still think Stannis was failing to perform his duty with regards to Robert.

58 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Interesting point, however does the fact that Stannis had a hard time choosing between Aerys and Robert not indicate that he doesn't view duty in such a reciprocal manner? Aerys had arguably failed in his duty to Stannis' house by wishing to have Robert executed for no justifiable reason.

Depends on what you consider justifiable reason, we need to analyse Aerys's decision in context, and the context at the time was that the starks had just gone to King's Landing demanding the head of the crown prince for walking away with Robert's bride-to-be Lyanna, add to that the fact that the Starks and Robert where very close, since Robert was fostered with one at the vale and this closeness is shown in the fact that he was to mary an Stark girl, sealing alliance between the two houses.
Now, we all know Aerys was paranoid and kinda insane, but let us put ourselves in the shoes of a king or a lord for a second and think about politics: The two leaders of an house have just come to your keep demanding the head of your heir for walking away with a girl, sure they where in the right to be angry about lyanna's kidnapping but demanding the death of the crown prince is still high treason, aerys being mad or not doesn't disqualify the crime, even if the punishment was cruely dealt the penalty would be the same if he was a sane king probably: death, or maybe exile to the wall, which i believe would inspire rebellion anyway so a moot point.
With that in mind, what would you as a king think that the man who is going to succeed the guy you just killed and the man who had his wife stolen are going to do? Specially when they where already making alliances before the high treason was consumated, and when there where rumours that the lords where conspiring to remove Aerys from the throne? 
Thats why i think its not impossible for Stannis to see that Aerys kinda had a point, his brother possibly would join the Starks in treason, and so his conflict probably emanated from a confusion born out of the fact that both Aerys and Robert had a point here, robert and the starks wanted justice for a crime, but Aerys had the right to kill them for high treason. 
Besides, even in regards to our own beliefs we aren't 100% lockstep all the time, our minds have a lot to process and sometimes we don't have the full picture, i would refrain from saying that Stanni's ideology isn't "Duty for Duty" just because of a single confusion/mistake that i think many people with the same belief would also have/make. 
But as i said, even if this theory is true it serves mostly as rationalization, i believe the first one to be the most adequate. 

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

The main issue is that the way it is portrayed in the story, legally speaking duty owed to the king seems to be unconditional. It doesn't matter if the king is incompetent, foolish or mad. Now obviously people are justified in not doing their duty to such a bad king, however it still could not be classed as dutiful. So I still think Stannis was failing to perform his duty with regards to Robert.

The question of if he failed to do his duty to robert is tricky, because we have to first decide what duty is, is duty linked to means or result? Because if duty is linked to means (you have a duty to protect your king in the sense of trying to keep him safe) Stannis didn't fail his duty, he tried to keep him safe by conspiring with John Arryn to protect him, he tried to go about it the way he saw as most adequate and probable to work since i believe no one will dispute that the odds of robert believing the story would be worse if Stannis went ahead and simply told him. 
But if duty is linked to end (you have a duty to protect your king in the sense of him actually staying safe), stannis of course failed his King, but i don't think anyone will die on the hill that duty being linked to end is a good way of measuring such a thing, since the end result is dependant many times on things which you have no sway over. 
My personal opinion is that he upheld his duty in the first moment because we see him actually try to do it, but he failed on achieving something there, and then he failed to act on his obligations on a second time for reasons which i don't understand personally, maybe he tought that he had no way of reaching ned? maybe he was cynical and pessimistic after the first atempt? maybe bitterness got the best of him? hard to say.
But in general, one thing i can say that i don't see malice or deliberate misshandling of the issue on the part of Stannis in this case, and i do not see him as a hypocrite, at most as a normal falible human who failed, like we all do. 

12 hours ago, frenin said:

Renly totally knew about the twincest. Renly's plan to marry Margaery to Robert only works if he knew Cersei's children are bastards. Otherwise, the Tyrells get nothing out of the arrangement. At best, any son Robert sired on Margaery would be third in line of succession. The Tyrells would only have gone along with Renly's scheme if they knew that Cersei's children were illegitimate and that it could be proven. As to why Renly didn't just tell Robert about the incest? I dunno. You'd have to ask him. At least Stannis put the work in trying to prove the incest. It definately makes Renly look... hypocritical, self-serving and opportunistic.

9 hours ago, The Red Prince said:

Depends on what you consider justifiable reason, we need to analyse Aerys's decision in context, and the context at the time was that the starks had just gone to King's Landing demanding the head of the crown prince for walking away with Robert's bride-to-be Lyanna, add to that the fact that the Starks and Robert where very close, since Robert was fostered with one at the vale and this closeness is shown in the fact that he was to mary an Stark girl, sealing alliance between the two houses.
Now, we all know Aerys was paranoid and kinda insane, but let us put ourselves in the shoes of a king or a lord for a second and think about politics: The two leaders of an house have just come to your keep demanding the head of your heir for walking away with a girl, sure they where in the right to be angry about lyanna's kidnapping but demanding the death of the crown prince is still high treason, aerys being mad or not doesn't disqualify the crime, even if the punishment was cruely dealt the penalty would be the same if he was a sane king probably: death, or maybe exile to the wall, which i believe would inspire rebellion anyway so a moot point.
With that in mind, what would you as a king think that the man who is going to succeed the guy you just killed and the man who had his wife stolen are going to do? Specially when they where already making alliances before the high treason was consumated, and when there where rumours that the lords where conspiring to remove Aerys from the throne? 
Thats why i think its not impossible for Stannis to see that Aerys kinda had a point, his brother possibly would join the Starks in treason, and so his conflict probably emanated from a confusion born out of the fact that both Aerys and Robert had a point here, robert and the starks wanted justice for a crime, but Aerys had the right to kill them for high treason. 
Besides, even in regards to our own beliefs we aren't 100% lockstep all the time, our minds have a lot to process and sometimes we don't have the full picture, i would refrain from saying that Stanni's ideology isn't "Duty for Duty" just because of a single confusion/mistake that i think many people with the same belief would also have/make. 
But as i said, even if this theory is true it serves mostly as rationalization, i believe the first one to be the most adequate. 

The question of if he failed to do his duty to robert is tricky, because we have to first decide what duty is, is duty linked to means or result? Because if duty is linked to means (you have a duty to protect your king in the sense of trying to keep him safe) Stannis didn't fail his duty, he tried to keep him safe by conspiring with John Arryn to protect him, he tried to go about it the way he saw as most adequate and probable to work since i believe no one will dispute that the odds of robert believing the story would be worse if Stannis went ahead and simply told him. 
But if duty is linked to end (you have a duty to protect your king in the sense of him actually staying safe), stannis of course failed his King, but i don't think anyone will die on the hill that duty being linked to end is a good way of measuring such a thing, since the end result is dependant many times on things which you have no sway over. 
My personal opinion is that he upheld his duty in the first moment because we see him actually try to do it, but he failed on achieving something there, and then he failed to act on his obligations on a second time for reasons which i don't understand personally, maybe he tought that he had no way of reaching ned? maybe he was cynical and pessimistic after the first atempt? maybe bitterness got the best of him? hard to say.
But in general, one thing i can say that i don't see malice or deliberate misshandling of the issue on the part of Stannis in this case, and i do not see him as a hypocrite, at most as a normal falible human who failed, like we all do. 

yes, I think he did his duty the best he was able, there was no way he was going to save Robert once Jon Arryn died and Robert chose Ned as hand, Ned then mishandles it all on his own particularly by trusting Littlefinger rather than Renly, neither is trustworthy but he knew what Renly wanted and their goals were alined

4 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Renly totally knew about the twincest. Renly's plan to marry Margaery to Robert only works if he knew Cersei's children are bastards. Otherwise, the Tyrells get nothing out of the arrangement. At best, any son Robert sired on Margaery would be third in line of succession. The Tyrells would only have gone along with Renly's scheme if they knew that Cersei's children were illegitimate and that it could be proven. As to why Renly didn't just tell Robert about the incest? I dunno. You'd have to ask him. At least Stannis put the work in trying to prove the incest. It definately makes Renly look... hypocritical, self-serving and opportunistic.

well he is so its acurate, I presume the Tyrells would remove the idiot and the sadist from the line

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

Renly totally knew about the twincest.

He says he doesn't and he has little reason to lie.

Renly's plan to marry Margaery to Robert only works if he knew Cersei's children are bastards.

Not really, Margaery is still Queen and Renly has little problem with the children, he just doesn't want them around Lannisters.

the Tyrells get nothing out of the arrangement. The Tyrells would only have gone along with Renly's scheme if they knew that Cersei's children were illegitimate and that it could be proven.

They get Queen Margaery. That's something.

Tywin would marry Cersei to either Rhaegar, with two heirs already, or with Viserys, who was third in line for the throne. Royal marriages are advantegeous in and on themselves.

Ofc, the more leverage you have the more ambitious you get, Mace had plenty against both Renly and Tywin, he has little against Robert.

As to why Renly didn't just tell Robert about the incest? I dunno. You'd have to ask him. 

He says he didn't know about the twincest.

. At least Stannis put the work in trying to prove the incest. It definately makes Renly look... hypocritical, self-serving and opportunistic.

Unless ofc he did not know about the twincest.

If he wants to get rid of Cersei, he only has to tell either Robert or Ned and Cersei's head would be on a pike within hours.

Yet we have to believe that he is protecting Cersei and the Lannisters from Robert's wrath? Renly's initial plan after it's clear Bob is a goner is to help Eddard ascend as sole regent, not to crown himself.

1 hour ago, Alden Rothack said:

yes, I think he did his duty the best he was able

That is objectively wrong.

1 hour ago, Alden Rothack said:

there was no way he was going to save Robert once Jon Arryn died and Robert chose Ned as hand

How so? How about responding to Ned's letters and let him know what was going on?

He knew where Robert was going when he left King's Landing, his first act should have been about going straight up tp Winterfell, not only because he'd have months of advantage but because the North was the domain of a notorious Lannister hater who would have loved nothing more than arresting Cersei and Jaime for treason.

Instead he gave it a half hearted attempt and went to sulk and prepare himself for the war of succesion that would inevitably start after his king's death.

Archived