Why did Stannis not tell Robert about the Incest or warn him his Life could be in Danger?

Craving Peaches

3 hours ago, frenin said:

He did not, he only fled because he was denied the office of Hand. He stayed until Robert went North.

He does not need to defend himself while Robert is alive and in power. The Lannisters cannot attack with impunity and not that they could reach him anyway at Dragonstone and with the Royal Fleet.

Fair enough on the first point, he hung around in the hope Robert would invest some trust and real power in him but no he was left completely isolated.

Robert lived and ruled while JA was killed. The Lannisters literally did start a war Robert didn't allow them while he lived and ruled. There is a likelihood the secret will begin a war and he believes the Lannisters have a target on his back, that Stannis gathered strength is a perfectly reasonable response to his situation, that it meant he knew they would murder Robert is a nowhere leap.

8 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Fair enough on the first point, he hung around in the hope Robert would invest some trust and real power in him but no he was left completely isolated.

Robert lived and ruled while JA was killed. The Lannisters literally did start a war Robert didn't allow them while he lived and ruled. There is a likelihood the secret will begin a war and he believes the Lannisters have a target on his back, that Stannis gathered strength is a perfectly reasonable response to his situation, that it meant he knew they would murder Robert is a nowhere leap.

Robert being alive didn't stop them from invading the Riverlands and starting a war with up to three of the seven kingdoms, Stannis also knows that Robert did nothing to find and punish Jon Arryns murderers, why would he think the Lannisters wouldn't have him killed as they already had Roberts hand and beloved father figure killed and he did nothing

9 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

he hung around in the hope Robert would invest some trust and real power in him but no he was left completely isolated.

In his own words, he already co ruled the Realm and he controlled the Navy.

Not that he was completely isolated, he had two brothers he could talk to and Ned Stark was coming down south. He went to sulk.

Robert lived and ruled while JA was killed

Poisoned and as Hand of the King, not attacked by army that sellswords can actually protect you from.

I do not know how Stannis ecpects not to suffer the same fate.

The Lannisters literally did start a war Robert didn't allow them while he lived and ruled.

They did not, they tried to start a war while Robert lived and ruled, and they were very much trying to get Robert's help or blessing for it, and it failed. Ned ruled against them and all Tywin could do was writing angry letters.back to Cersei.

Then Robert did die and with Joffrey on the throne, they felt secure enough to start a war.

There is a likelihood the secret will begin a war and he believes the Lannisters have a target on his back, that Stannis gathered strength is a perfectly reasonable response to his situation, that it meant he knew they would murder Robert is a nowhere leap.

Disagree, I believe the nowhere leap is believing Stannis was afraid for his life and that's why he fled, no one even hints that in the book and we know he would have stayed if he got what felt entitled to.

Unless Robert dies, mudying the succesion, there's no possibility for the Lannisters to be able to threaten him militarily, that Stannis took the Royal Fleet without Robert's leave and used it as his personal private guard is at all reasonable either.

He would be in Renly's position, in which he felt confident enough to laugh at the Lannisters while Robert was in power but started fearing for his neck the minute he thought he was a goner.

41 minutes ago, frenin said:

Disagree,

ok

1 hour ago, Alden Rothack said:

Robert being alive didn't stop them from invading the Riverlands and starting a war with up to three of the seven kingdoms, Stannis also knows that Robert did nothing to find and punish Jon Arryns murderers, why would he think the Lannisters wouldn't have him killed as they already had Roberts hand and beloved father figure killed and he did nothing

Yeah I know, you seem to be agreeing with me?

On 11/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, BoltonBannerMan said:

As I just finished my first reread of A Game of Thrones, I think the answer is very simple: After everything Stannis went through with Robert (aka not being recognized for what he did), he simply didn't believe in Robert or was convinced that Robert would not believe him. 

yes

32 minutes ago, frenin said:

Shireen is to Stannis what Edric Storm is to Robert.

Nope.

"Yes, Your Grace." He does not speak of me. Davos felt a moment's pity for his cellmate down in the dark. He knew he should keep silent, but he was tired and sick of heart, and he heard himself say, "Sire, Lord Florent meant no treason."

"Do smugglers have another name for it? I made him Hand, and he would have sold my rights for a bowl of pease porridge. He would even have given them Shireen. Mine only child, he would have wed to a bastard born of incest." The king's voice was thick with anger. "

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Nope.

Yep...

How does that quote reflect any kind of love towards Shireen? It reinfirces the idea that he just sees her as an extension of himself, till he has a son.

Marrying Tommen to Shireen is an insult to Stannis, not to Shireen. He views Shiren as an heir but he is not warm or caring towards her at all, hell he doesn't even talk to her, she's a fairly neglected child, just like the rest of Robert's kids.

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Yep...

How does that quote reflect any kind of love towards Shireen? It reinfirces the idea that he just sees her as an extension of himself, till he has a son.

Marrying Tommen to Shireen is an insult to Stannis, not to Shireen. He views Shiren as an heir but he is not warm or caring towards her at all, hell he doesn't even talk to her, she's a fairly neglected child, just like the rest of Robert's kids.

its definitely an insult to Shireen as it implies she can't do better than one of cersei's bastards

Archived