Most emotional series finales?

RumHam

Babylon 5's finale was good but a lot of Season 5 was pap, so that did kind of take the emotional edge off it.

DS9 I think had a more emotionally satisfying conclusion, especially the montage (montages are cheesy but effective if well-executed).

I found The Wire's ending quite powerful, for both saying goodbye to the characters but also the montage of the city, and the message that a bunch of people, even if quite well-meaning, down the food chain may be totally unable to fight the system without a much greater systemic change above them. That could be depressing but Simon layered in the message that good people in the right place can still make things better, even if briefly and in a limited way.

Blackadder has been noted. That final moment is desperately tragic, and it aired early enough (1989) that there were still a few WWI veterans around who were quite moved by it.

Babylon 5, for sure; Christopher Franke's score was gorgeous and still makes me emotional when I hear it. And there's an added poignancy when watching its final minutes:

In the first thirty seconds, we see six actors. Only one of them -- Claudia Christian -- is still with us. I'm not sure any TV series has had so much attrition in its cast who've died before what most would think to be their time. 

Blackadder was heartbreaking. The Leftovers was amazing. So was Six Feet Under.

I thought The Deuce had a great, sad ending as an elderly Vinnie sees the ghosts of all of those who had died. M*A*S*H's is one of the most brutal and heartbreaking finales ever (spoilers for those interested.)  And Dinosaurs, too, actually.The Americans was also quite sad.

It's a miniseries, but It's a Sin is an incredible show, and is incredibly poignant in its finale.

I’m floored no one has mentioned The Good Place.  Its finale was pitch perfect.  The ultimate bittersweet ending that encapsulates the difficulties of human existence and philosophical introspection.  I absolutely loved how it refused to look away from the incredibly hard questions.

Archived