Twitter Twee: all your tweets are belong to chud

JGP

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

No-one is hoping harder that he fails than me.

He has shown me that his true colors are disgusting.

Whether the pump up the equitiy values strategy works or if that is even truly the grand strategy, the juries still out?

Theres a large part of me that thinks the article i quoted is giving him too much credit and that in fact Elon is just a sad clown, a little too full of himself anvd dangerously wealthy at this point.

Speaking of "who Elon is", remember this guy?

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/17/1137265843/elon-musk-fires-employee-by-tweet

The question I have is, where the hell were the "free speech absolutists" for this guy when he got sacked for clapping back at Elon? We are just keeping it real right? Was there any outrage from that quarter or is that kind of support only reserved for Gina Carano? At least Disney gave her a chance.

Never forget the game that's being played here. 

9 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The question I have is, where the hell were the "free speech absolutists" for this guy when he got sacked for clapping back at Elon? We are just keeping it real right? Was there any outrage from that quarter or is that kind of support only reserved for Gina Carano? At least Disney gave her a chance.

Never forget the game that's being played here. 

It was never about that as you well know.

Free Speech as a concept is devils' playground shit. 

When I consider say, the last several months with the spotlight on Twitter, Space Karen being forced to follow through and his behavior since, it's... feels that at heart this might be just, simple, childish, pettiness. 

That's Space FUCKING Karen to you, ser.  

'Hell yeah I am,' Space Karen snarls, bottom lip and chin start to curl.

And there's the tremble. 

Space Karen has security I'm sure, but damn if watching him call the popo wouldn't be some kind of icing on the cake.

When office rent is no longer being paid, yet employees are required to work in the office, indeed to sleep in the office, one does indeed speculate about the future, yes?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/13/technology/elon-musk-twitter-shakeup.html

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the past two weeks, Elon Musk has shaken up Twitter’s legal department, disbanded a council that advised the social media company on safety issues and is continuing to take drastic steps to cut costs.

Mr. Musk appears to be gearing up for legal battles at Twitter, which he purchased in October for $44 billion, according to seven people familiar with internal conversations. He and his team have revamped Twitter’s legal department and pushed out one of his closest advisers in the process. They have also instructed employees to not pay vendors in anticipation of potential litigation, the people said.

To cut costs, Twitter has not paid rent for its San Francisco headquarters or any of its global offices for weeks, three people close to the company said. Twitter has also refused to pay a $197,725 bill for private charter flights made the week of Mr. Musk’s takeover, according to a copy of a lawsuit filed in New Hampshire District Court and obtained by The New York Times.

Twitter’s leaders have also discussed the consequences of denying severance payments to thousands of people who have been laid off since the takeover, two people familiar with the talks said. And Mr. Musk has threatened employees with lawsuits if they talk to the media and “act in a manner contrary to the company’s interest,” according to an internal email sent last Friday. ....

~~~~~~~~~~

Last month the term, "twitter poisoned" emerged, suggesting that Those such as tRump and Kanye got it, inhaling way too much of twitter.  And Muskey caught it as well.  The first place I saw that was in the NY Times.

A different version of getting high on your own supply?  Or your own ego's so far into the conspiracies and lies your head's gone up your own ass?

Trump, Musk and Kanye Are Twitter Poisoned By Jaron Lanier

Mr. Lanier is a computer scientist and an author of several books on technology’s impact on people.Nov. 11, 2022

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/opinion/trump-musk-kanye-twitter.html

I encountered Donald Trump a few times in the pre-social media era, and he struck me as someone who was in on his own joke. He no longer does. Elon Musk used to be a serious person more concerned with engineering and building businesses than with petty name-calling. He didn’t seem like the kind of person to amplify a preposterous, sordid story about Paul Pelosi. Kanye West was once a thoughtful artist. Now known as Ye, he radiates antisemitism on top of his earlier slavery denialism.

I have observed a change, or really a narrowing, in the public behavior of people who use Twitter or other social media a lot. (“Other social media” sometimes coming into play after ejection from Twitter.) When I compare Mr. Musk, Mr. Trump and Ye, I see a convergence of personalities that were once distinct. The garish celebrity playboy, the obsessive engineer and the young artist, as different from one another as they could be, have all veered not in the direction of becoming grumpy old men, but into being bratty little boys in a schoolyard. Maybe we should look at what social media has done to these men.

I’m not claiming that Twitter is the sole influence, of course. Traditional demons summoned by great wealth have not vanished. I have no access to what goes on in the brains of other people. What I’m talking about is plain public behavior. The personalities of a great many famous and powerful people have changed in a similar way — a way we could do without.

I believe “Twitter poisoning” is a real thing. It is a side effect that appears when people are acting under an algorithmic system that is designed to engage them to the max. It’s a symptom of being part of a behavior-modification scheme.

The same could be said about any number of other figures, including on the left. Examples are found in the excesses of cancel culture and joyless orthodoxies in fandom, in vain attention competitions and senseless online bullying. ....

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

When office rent is no longer being paid, yet employees are required to work in the office, indeed to sleep in the office, one does indeed speculate about the future, yes?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/13/technology/elon-musk-twitter-shakeup.html

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

To cut costs, Twitter has not paid rent for its San Francisco headquarters or any of its global offices for weeks, three people close to the company said. Twitter has also refused to pay a $197,725 bill for private charter flights made the week of Mr. Musk’s takeover, according to a copy of a lawsuit filed in New Hampshire District Court and obtained by The New York Times.

Why would they do this? "To cut costs"? This is ass-swipe money for them. 

16 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

What's over/under on Space Karen, 'How dare you laugh at meeee' just torching the joint? 

So funnily enough, I joined Mastodon a while ago with my scicomm account but haven't checked it lately because I'm not running my scicomm channels right now. I decided to check it out again as I was considering starting a personal account there. But it turns out the instance I joined is no longer listed on the joinmastodon page, so I did some digging and it turns out that because that instance has a policy against de-federating other instances it's now considered too toxic and can't be listed on the mastodon landing page. I went down some reddit rabbit holes of people fighting about this instance and the founder and a Nazi-false-flag-LGBT account and then trying to found a union of instances but then stepping down from leading it because people were just arguing about him and this one instance...it's a lot!! People really just be drama-ing everywhere they go.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I would like to point out to the NY Times that not paying bills is not 'cutting costs'. You still have costs! You're just not paying them.

I'm off to explain to my electric provider my smart new management strategy and why it means their bill went in the bin.

21 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

For reference, Sean Parker once said that one of the biggest factors in the rise of Facebook was Myspace consistently and comprehensively screwing up. At its peak, Myspace was not just the biggest social media website; it was the biggest website, period. If they can go down, anything's possible. 

That said, I don't think twitter will die. I think Musk will eventually sell it at a loss (he can afford it) and find some way to blame his failure on someone else. "They just weren't getting what I was trying to do, man".

This is the question that mystifies me.  Why is no one building a twitter-lookalike without Elon?  Post seems like a very different animal (with a waitlist!), people say Mastodon is a shit show (haven't tried it).  Elon Twitter seems like new coke. and feels like the market for coke is still very much alive. 

4 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

This is the question that mystifies me.  Why is no one building a twitter-lookalike without Elon?  Post seems like a very different animal (with a waitlist!), people say Mastodon is a shit show (haven't tried it).  Elon Twitter seems like new coke. and feels like the market for coke is still very much alive. 

Lots of people are trying.  Building something like that up to accommodate a user base of millions is not easy.  I believe one of the new competitors (Hive) had to take itself offline because of cybersecurity issues.

8 hours ago, mormont said:

I would like to point out to the NY Times that not paying bills is not 'cutting costs'. You still have costs! You're just not paying them.

I'm off to explain to my electric provider my smart new management strategy and why it means their bill went in the bin.

Unfortunately the electric company were not keen on this bold new cost cutting measure. Something about having 'signed a contract', being 'sued' and a visit from 'debt collectors'.

It's this sort of woke bureaucratic nonsense that is killing entrepeneurs. Do I owe them 'money'? Or have I just annoyed the notorious leftists in charge of Big Energy with my no-nonsense style?

20 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

My money is on Bouzy's Spoutible, but who knows.

Going to be an interesting time as everyone left of 'Nazi, who me' slowly steps out, leaving Twitter to duke it out with... Truth Social :rofl: 

50 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Why is no one building a twitter-lookalike

My question is why are you all fixated on a single system, which can always be bought out, taken over by the nazis and all the other deplorables, denial of service attacks etc?  Look at how easy it was to take out twitter itself!

Successful resistance to oppression, planning, organizing, strategizing, sharing information means many and variety, not one single blob.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

My question is why are you all fixated on a single system, which can always be bought out, taken over by the nazis and all the other deplorables, denial of service attacks etc?  Look at how easy it was to take out twitter itself!

Successful resistance to oppression, planning, organizing, strategizing, sharing information means many and variety, not one single blob.

Because no one is expecting a social media  platform to save the world or be the vector for anti-oppression, and with twitter's star dimming it makes sense to go to wherever most people are actually connected instead of 20 different places.  

Space Karen might have a list, and he's working on boosting voices that should not be.

Lawton works for True North, a Rebel News-like rag/thinktank/charity. 

So, what's interesting about this is the intentionality I'm seeing. 

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

Last month the term, "twitter poisoned" emerged, suggesting that Those such as tRump and Kanye got it, inhaling way too much of twitter.  And Muskey caught it as well.  The first place I saw that was in the NY Times.

A different version of getting high on your own supply?  Or your own ego's so far into the conspiracies and lies your head's gone up your own ass?

Trump, Musk and Kanye Are Twitter Poisoned By Jaron Lanier

Mr. Lanier is a computer scientist and an author of several books on technology’s impact on people.Nov. 11, 2022

This is nothing new. The Nazis, even Hitler, would admit in private that a lot of stuff they were saying in the 1920s and early 1930s, even after coming to power, was total horseshit designed to stir up the masses. But at a certain point they started believing the bullshit and swallowing their own lies as eagerly as anyone else, at which point they lost touch with reality.

You can see the same thing happening in Russia. People like Lavrov and Medvedev were apparently once, genuinely intellectual and engaged people that colleagues in other countries could have very frank discussions with which were productive (apparently Sarkozy and Medvedev engaged in some very brutal 1-on-1 discussions during the conflict in Georgia, leading to a swift resolution the second the Russians realised they were about to risk getting into a quagmire). But in the last few years and especially the last 12 months, that has ceased to exist and even in private discussions with colleagues of long-standing, they're apparently spouting the same kind of clearly nonsensical propaganda bullshit they are in public.

6 minutes ago, JGP said:
Lawton works for True North, a Rebel News-like rag/thinktank/charity. 

So, what's interesting about this is the intentionality I'm seeing. 

Dude's a hack and it's infuriating every time he's published in the Washington Post, like he's some reasoned voice of Canada.

2 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Dude's a hack and it's infuriating every time he's published in the Washington Post, like he's some reasoned voice of Canada.

Malcolm, Lawton, and Furey in particular. JJ McCullough is another that gets too many US columns. Canada has enough to be embarrassed about, but maybe we deserve this lol

How are you and Chef doing, kair

Archived