Twitter Twee: all your tweets are belong to chud

JGP

Flying by the seats of his pants, who gives a fuck. Can't say he isn't committed to the bit. It's pretty

Wonder if this might lead to a bit of a bounce back for news media in general, the dismantling of Twitter as a fast disseminator. Or will the spiral just continue, with so much influence from media ownership.

Off topic only sorta: the firing of Tiffany Cross by MSNBC was particularly egregious, imo 

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Because no one is expecting a social media  platform to save the world or be the vector for anti-oppression, and with twitter's star dimming it makes sense to go to wherever most people are actually connected instead of 20 different places.  

How do you explain that social media platforms are indeed victors for the increase of nazism, fash, bigotry, racism, incels, misogyny, authoritarianism of all kinds, as well insurrection?  And that is far more difficult to spread all these lies with everything distributed?

You are advocating that it for one click convenient entertainment over the public good, in a sense, wanting everything everywhere in one place.  And, of course, that's how, with faux noose, all these people got there in the first place.

One can't research anything with one source either.

56 minutes ago, JGP said:
Flying by the seats of his pants, who gives a fuck. Can't say he isn't committed to the bit. It's pretty

Wonder if this might lead to a bit of a bounce back for news media in general, the dismantling of Twitter as a fast disseminator. Or will the spiral just continue, with so much influence from media ownership.

Off topic only sorta: the firing of Tiffany Cross by MSNBC was particularly egregious, imo 

Musk seems to be going beyond "pwning the libs" into obviously self-destructive territory here. I'm wondering if he sees the value in destroying Twitter altogether and letting it burn. Maybe some kind of insurance benefit? Or a ripping off the band aid thing where he was forced to buy this thing for silly money - a lot of it not his - so burning it to the ground ASAP and getting the hell out of dodge makes more sense to him than some kind of long, drawn-out death rattle over several years?

13 hours ago, Starkess said:

But it turns out the instance I joined is no longer listed on the joinmastodon page

Most instances aren't; some because they're not currently accepting new members (though I believe most servers let their existing users generate invite codes, so if you know anyone with an an account you can ask them for one), some because they don't meet the conditions, and some just aren't interested in being listed.

There are more comprehensive lists at https://instances.social/ and https://mastodon.fediverse.observer/list

13 hours ago, Starkess said:

so I did some digging and it turns out that because that instance has a policy against de-federating other instances it's now considered too toxic and can't be listed on the mastodon landing page.

Not defederating Nazis and spammers is definitely a bad policy.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

My question is why are you all fixated on a single system, which can always be bought out, taken over by the nazis and all the other deplorables, denial of service attacks etc?  Look at how easy it was to take out twitter itself!

That's a key benefit of Mastodon - being a network of independent servers, it's not vulnerable in the same way a centralised privately owned service is. Though that does introduce additional complexity.

2 hours ago, JGP said:

Space Karen might have a list, and he's working on boosting voices that should not be.

Lawton works for True North, a Rebel News-like rag/thinktank/charity. 

So, what's interesting about this is the intentionality I'm seeing. 

Yeah, Canadian conservatives still aren't buying your fucking cars, Elon. 

ETA: That new Prius is looking pretty damn sexy Elon...

56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How do you explain that social media platforms are indeed victors for the increase of nazism, fash, bigotry, racism, incels, misogyny, authoritarianism of all kinds, as well insurrection?  And that is far more difficult to spread all these lies with everything distributed?

You are advocating that it for one click convenient entertainment over the public good, in a sense, wanting everything everywhere in one place.  And, of course, that's how, with faux noose, all these people got there in the first place.

One can't research anything with one source either.

Yes,I want the authoritarians and oppressors to take.over the world through an 'everything app', that's clearly what I'm advocating for.  

To be clear: I'm not advocating for anything, I'm explaining why people are trying to see what the 'next' Twitter is going to be.

And it's not accurate to call something like Twitter a 'source', it's essentially been a place where a variety of sources are available.  It's been in the past the opposite of Fox news, there are very little overarching editorial or content control decisions made by anyone other than the users.

46 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Musk seems to be going beyond "pwning the libs" into obviously self-destructive territory here. I'm wondering if he sees the value in destroying Twitter altogether and letting it burn. Maybe some kind of insurance benefit? Or a ripping off the band aid thing where he was forced to buy this thing for silly money - a lot of it not his - so burning it to the ground ASAP and getting the hell out of dodge makes more sense to him than some kind of long, drawn-out death rattle over several years?

Sure, probably all of that. How do his sellers package that though. If it turns out to be just some butthurt sickening disdain for wealth, I mean, one of his complaints arguing against the purchase was an exact accounting of bot prevalence then after counts on bots boosting executive decisions by fiat. All the reinstatements. The Twitter Files bullshit. Dorsey speaking up, but dude please, shut the fuck up, it's all just amazing to me. And horrifying. A 44 bil + [all the extras] loss just a, whatever Southern African gesture Space Karen hasn't forgotten about. 

25 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, Canadian conservatives still aren't buying your fucking cars, Elon. 

Hey, I see a lot of Teslas where I'm at. I wonder sometimes if any of them are dialed in to consider the implications of being seen driving one. 

All of this is going so spectacularly bad lol

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

This is the question that mystifies me.  Why is no one building a twitter-lookalike without Elon?  Post seems like a very different animal (with a waitlist!), people say Mastodon is a shit show (haven't tried it).  Elon Twitter seems like new coke. and feels like the market for coke is still very much alive. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what's happening. More than likely it will involve an existing social media site adding features to become more twitter-like. Youtube is already making tentative steps in that direction.

24 minutes ago, JGP said:

Hey, I see a lot of Teslas where I'm at. I wonder sometimes if any of them are dialed in to consider the implications of being seen driving one. 

All of this is going so spectacularly bad lol

A lot of those may have been purchased before Elon's latest melt down. We purchased a powerwall a year ago when he was pretty ugh, but not a complete alt-right nutcase, and not much worse than say Bezos.

And unfortunately they are still the only option for a lot of people to get into an EV in a reasonable time frame due to their supply advantage, and due to the charging network the easiest (or only) option to road trip in, in a lot of the world. But yes, he does seem intent on making the transition away from fossil fuels as unpalatable as possible to much of his customer base.

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

OHMYGAWDIFUCKINGLOVETHIS!!!

16 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

A lot of those may have been purchased before Elon's latest melt down. We purchased a powerwall a year ago when he was pretty ugh, but not a complete alt-right nutcase, and not much worse than say Bezos.

And unfortunately they are still the only option for a lot of people to get into an EV in a reasonable time frame due to their supply advantage, and due to the charging network the easiest (or only) option to road trip in, in a lot of the world. But yes, he does seem intent on making the transition away from fossil fuels as unpalatable as possible to much of his customer base.

My sympathies. If I were you I'd more worried about what all this is doing to my resale value. One of the pitfalls of having a brand so closely associated with a personality I'm afraid. 

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My sympathies. If I were you I'd more worried about what all this is doing to my resale value. One of the pitfalls of having a brand so closely associated with a personality I'm afraid. 

So we don't have a Tesla car (ended up with an Hyundai Ioniq5 for the EV, wife didnt like the ipad with a car attached vibe of Tesla cars) just the home battery. So not on display but it does make me cringe a little whenever I open the app. Anyway fortunately resale is not an issue.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Occam's razor suggests that there's no logic (whether circuitious or fiendish) here.  He's an entitled rich man who can't resist playing with his new toy, and has a long history of blowing up/neglecting his responsibilities (e.g., his 10 children, his failed relationships, his serial entrepeneurship) taking on many more responsibilities than he can fairly discharge.  

Archived