Twitter Twee: all your tweets are belong to chud

JGP

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Diet caffeine free soda is the most disgusting thing on that table. I'd drink bleach before that shit.

Diet caffeine coke is ideal if all you're using it for is to mix it with shitty whiskey.  While I don't leave the cans by my bedside "table," weird that that's what I have in common with Musk.

My brother thinks the thing on the bottom left is a bowl (for smoking weed).  I disagree - have no idea.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Diet caffeine coke is ideal if all you're using it for is to mix it with shitty whiskey.  While I don't leave the cans by my bedside "table," weird that that's what I have in common with Musk.

My brother thinks the thing on the bottom left is a bowl (for smoking weed).  I disagree - have no idea.

Wouldn't have guessed you opted for mixers or cheap whiskey. I prefer it neat. Four Roses is pretty good for the price if you're not looking for anything fancy.

I was also confused by what it was, but I wouldn't have guessed a bowl. If Elon's doing anything like that I'd expect something more like what Vincent Vega was rocking in Pulp Fiction.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wouldn't have guessed you opted for mixers or cheap whiskey. I prefer it neat. Four Roses is pretty good for the price if you're not looking for anything fancy.

Four Roses is twenty bucks for a fifth (750 ml).  I buy the cheapest whiskey (and gin) possible, which is usually about $11-13 for a handle (1.75 l).  So, yeah, that's why I use chasers.  Also just because I have no self control - if I drink liquor straight I'll usually end up drinking, like, 10 shots worth in two hours.  Whereas making a drink limits me to ~2 shots per hour.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Four Roses is twenty bucks for a fifth (750 ml).  I buy the cheapest whiskey (and gin) possible, which is usually about $11-13 for a handle (1.75 l).  So, yeah, that's why I use chasers.  Also just because I have no self control - if I drink liquor straight I'll usually end up drinking, like, 10 shots worth in two hours.  Whereas making a drink limits me to ~2 shots per hour.

Same issue, just a different workaround. I buy more expensive stuff because it forces me to not drink like that. The last month as been rough though since I injured my foot. Stuck at home, mostly alone, and the only way to dull the pain and sleep is not...healthy to say the least. 

11 hours ago, mormont said:

That gun has no trigger.

Also, what is the thing in the bottom left? I feel like I should know.

its a Buddhist ritual object called a Vajra. Used for all sorts of things. 

Twitter is suspending their Covid misinformation policy:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/11/musks-twitter-abandons-covid-misinfo-policy-shirking-huge-responsibility/

But under Musk, the company's priorities have clearly changed. Musk himself has a murky relationship with COVID-related health misinformation. In March 2020, he tweeted that "the coronavirus panic is dumb," as well as the falsehood that children are "essentially immune" to COVID-19. However, he later tweeted support of vaccines.

Yesterday, Musk manufactured a skirmish with Apple after claiming that the tech giant had "mostly stopped" advertising on Twitter and threatened to pull Twitter's app from its App Store. Musk accused Apple of hating free speech and of "censorship" after a Twitter user alleged that Apple filtered app search terms related to COVID-19.

The devolution of credible content and discourse on Twitter is likely to spur yet more concern from health officials over misinformation on social media platforms.

I'm sure that'll bring ad revenue back

$100 billion down, 200 to go.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk-net-worth-decreased-100-million-tesla-stock-sold-twitter-acquisition-richest-man-in-the-world/#app

Guy is like my least fave ritchie rich in a while. Kinda enjoy the implosion watching while Im actively hoping Buffet displaces his (Musk) ocd, King of the World complex.

Another good article on the woes Twitter is facing, and how it's going to exacerbate existing problems in repression and potentially violence:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/1139924914/twitters-chaos-could-make-political-violence-worse-outside-of-the-u-s

While Musk hasn't publicly spoken about the implications of his vision for Twitter outside the U.S., activists and advocates point to a wealth of examples of how social media has enabled and exacerbated political, ethnic and religious conflicts, from genocide in Myanmar to mob killings in India to civil war in Ethiopia.

"The majority world, the global south, is an expert in all of these issues," said Mishi Choudhary, a lawyer and founder of the Software Freedom Law Center, an Indian digital rights organization. "I generally say that we have been watching the same reality TV show," she added, and "India is two or three seasons ahead" of the west.

We already saw this at at lower scale with the China protests being pushed off the front page, but we'll likely see more aggressive action soon. 

18 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The price of free speech is eternal...violence?

Was the COVID mis-information policy suspended as a matter of principle, or because there just aren't the staff available to credibly apply it?

The latter allegedly.

So some of the reasons replacing twitter might not be as quick or easy as we want it: one of the candidates that's been getting a bit of traction recently, Hive, has had to shut down for a few days because of security issues. 

What are those security issues, you ask?

Oh, only that an attacker  can access literally everything you've ever entered on the site, including your account details and deleted DMs, plus edit your messages for you. 

It should have been a clue that they don't actually appear to have proper terms of service, mind you. 

Archived