Do you think Wyman Manderly will survive the next books? Do you think he'll survive the series?

Floki of the Ironborn

Wyman Manderly is going out with a bang. A bit of the Northern tradition of the old guys go hunting in the winter to not burden the family. But in this case, he is taking enemies with him. Reading it the first time, it felt like he knew he wouldn't make it out. He may survive a bit, but not long. Sweet, sweet revenged. Also, he isn't done yet... 

28 minutes ago, Northern Sword said:

How is this not at least partial justice for the Starks

Because it is a cruel and unusual punishment. Executing the Freys involved would be justice. But in my view executing them and then feeding them to their unsuspecting kin is not going to end well for Wyman. I understand why he did it, I just think that there is an ongoing theme in the book that vengeance does not end well for anyone.

Edit:

I agree it is partial justice. The issue is the 'vengeance' component is too strong, so thematically I think Wyman won't live to the the end of the series. Does this make sense?

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Because it is a cruel and unusual punishment. Executing the Freys involved would be justice. But in my view executing them and then feeding them to their unsuspecting kin is not going to end well for Wyman. I understand why he did it, I just think that there is an ongoing theme in the book that vengeance does not end well for anyone.

I get that. But I honestly don’t have a problem with it. It seems almost certain that the Freys will be wiped out by the end of the series. Ironic that despite their numbers, the Starks will outlive them.

1 minute ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

I get that. But I honestly don’t have a problem with it.

I have no problem with him getting revenge on the Freys, I just don't think he'll live very long because of the way he went about it, due to what I believe is  the theme of the book on the subject. A further issue is that guests who have nothing to do with the massacre may have unwittingly consumed human flesh through Wyman's actions.

He's gonna die, if he even survives having his throat cut.

He didn't just bake the freys into pies....he gorged himself on those pies and bragged about how good they were.  He's going to meet a particularly nasty end, I think.  Maybe some men from Skaggos will accompany Davos back with Rickon and they'll eat him.

9 hours ago, Northern Sword said:

Wyman Manderly is going out with a bang. A bit of the Northern tradition of the old guys go hunting in the winter to not burden the family. But in this case, he is taking enemies with him. Reading it the first time, it felt like he knew he wouldn't make it out. He may survive a bit, but not long. Sweet, sweet revenged. Also, he isn't done yet... 

This.

Wyman Manderly died the day he left White Harbor to join the wedding at Winterfell.

Wyman wasn't looking too good the last we saw of him.  I don't think he necessarily expected to survive Winterfell and likely won't.  As such, I would guess he has a succession plan in place.  His cousin Marlon is in charge of the White Harbor garrison, so will probably be the de facto ruler in White Harbor if Wyman doesn't make it.

21 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Edit:

I agree it is partial justice. The issue is the 'vengeance' component is too strong, so thematically I think Wyman won't live to the the end of the series. Does this make sense?

Fair enough. Yet consider this. Wyman Manderley and Family are still "new" to the North. So, they have to be more Northern then anyone else. I cant help but thinking of the little girl speaking out in his court. The North Remembers and Winter is coming for house Frey. 

Manderley basically represents fuck around and find out.

Cruel or not. I approve of his actions. I also think he knows the consequence of his actions and is at peace with them. As his family will reap the street cred for it. At least in my head cannon, that's how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived