Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

Rumours that Newcastle are interested in Ronaldo make me laugh. No fucking way is fast Eddie having that ballbag in the dressing room.

It's like the press just thought 'who can theoretically afford him and what sells'?  There really should be an online resource comparing rumours to actual sales, so we can see which journalist is most full of crap. 

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Rumours that Newcastle are interested in Ronaldo make me laugh. No fucking way is fast Eddie having that ballbag in the dressing room.

It's like the press just thought 'who can theoretically afford him and what sells'?  There really should be an online resource comparing rumours to actual sales, so we can see which journalist is most full of crap. 

Eddie Howe already ruled that out - said that they have other priorities and one is to bring down the average age of the squad. Ronaldo wouldn't join Newcastle anyway. He's made a big moan about no CL football at United, so he's not going to take a probable pay cut to join a side with no European football. Like I said before, Ronaldo still thinks he's world class and fully believes that a CL club will sign him.

That seems less than ideal. It certainly undermines any hopes of a smooth transition behind the scenes in the post Michael Edwards era. Ian Graham, the director of research is also leaving. Sounds like the whole recruitment team is in upheaval.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That seems less than ideal. It certainly undermines any hopes of a smooth transition behind the scenes in the post Michael Edwards era. Ian Graham, the director of research is also leaving. Sounds like the whole recruitment team is in upheaval.

Yes, this is really destabilizing.  It could be about the sale, or that the moneyball system has reached its limit (which could also be a big cause of the sale), or some internal power struggle over who decides transfers.

I wonder if FSG were right to spend so much on the stadium instead of pushing for more trophies.  The long term health of the club relies on TV revenue, global brand and commercial activity (sponsorship and merchandising) more than match day revenue — because Liverpool will continue to be an unfashionable, small regional city with a low income population.  No scope for corporate boxes or big ticket prices.

Uruguay x South Korea was dire. Uruguay was needing creativity and flair, and they had on the bench two players from my team, Flamengo: the best player in South America in the last few years (maybe best player outside Europe), Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Varela, our 3rd choice right-back. Naturally, the latter is the one Diego Alonso choses to put on. Anyway, 4 0-0s is already a record, another black mark for this tournament 

Power struggle over transfers seems unlikely. Power struggle with who? Klopp is a supporter of the Sporting Director model. Could be a personal thing between them. However publicly he has afaik always backed Edwards and Ward. If you want to speculate. Maybe Liverpool has contacted Edwards to return to the club and Ward (rightly) considered working under Edwards again as demotion. Even if Edwards turned Liverpool down in that scenario, it would still undermine Ward's authority. Doesn't have to be Edwards could also be any other established Sporting Director. 

Anyway, Liverpool contacting another Sporting Director/DoF would be my guess. But that's mere speculation.

16 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Uruguay x South Korea was dire. Uruguay was needing creativity and flair, and they had on the bench two players from my team, Flamengo: the best player in South America in the last few years (maybe best player outside Europe), Giorgian de Arrascaeta, and Varela, our 3rd choice right-back. Naturally, the latter is the one Diego Alonso choses to put on. Anyway, 4 0-0s is already a record, another black mark for this tournament 

I only watched the start, but apparently not a single shot on target. Previous lowest was 2. 

Scotty will have to change his surname to MACtominay. Look forward to visiting i-Trafford.

Doubt there's any truth to those rumours though. Just look at who's reporting - hardly paragons of reliability. Just like United gets linked with hundreds of players, the clickbait merchants will now be linking us with every billionaire.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't know if there's any credibility to the rumour that Apple want to buy United, but if they do, it is gonna trigger a run on tech bros buying football teams and Arsenal fans had better hope Jeff Bezos beats Elon Musk to them. 

This would be an interesting development. A few months back I speculated if Apple, Amazon and Google would want to buy teams or just takeover the broadcast rights. Bezos appears to be trying to do both here in the US with the NFL, streaming the games on Prime while trying to buy Washington D.C. Commanders.

ETA: I honestly don't think Musk would be allowed into the club, which is saying a lot regardless of which dirty sport you're talking about.

Archived