Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

From what I saw Serbia was way too willing to just pass the ball back and never challenge or be challenged by Brazil (in the first half). Wasnt paying too much attention in the second half except for that beautiful second goal.

Re: the Portugal-Ghana match I now understand why everyone dislikes Ronaldo so much.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, this is really destabilizing.  It could be about the sale, or that the moneyball system has reached its limit (which could also be a big cause of the sale), or some internal power struggle over who decides transfers.

I wonder if FSG were right to spend so much on the stadium instead of pushing for more trophies.  The long term health of the club relies on TV revenue, global brand and commercial activity (sponsorship and merchandising) more than match day revenue — because Liverpool will continue to be an unfashionable, small regional city with a low income population.  No scope for corporate boxes or big ticket prices.

I'd bet it's Klopp/Lijnders vs Ward/others.

100% Klopp/Lijnders were behind the ridiculous Curtis Jones extension. 100% Klopp/Lijnders were behind the Nunez signing. Remember it was Lijnders who said Curtis is better than Pedri/Gavi! :rolleyes:

Ward probably gave Klopp a list of midfielders that obviously Klopp rejected, otherwise we would have bought at least 1 decent mid in the summer transfer.

Ward probably thought, fuck it , these are not my transfers but I'll get the blame so I'm outa here. 

Had to work late and the moment I've walked into my apartment, Brazil scored. I've seen only 10-15 minutes of the match after that and Brazil was dominant. Serbia had a corner or two but other than that, barely crossed the halfway line. Our coach said it's because of injuries to key players and players being tired, but it doesn't seem a plausible excuse for being outplayed by such a margin. Serbia had no shots on target at all. It was a way too defensive setup that was very unlikely to work against a team that has as much firepower as Brazil for a whole match.

On the positive note, I'm now quite confident Serbia will not make a long run in the World Cup that would tempt me to watch more of the tournament. :lol: 

More on Ward, plus senior scouts and another main analytics guy left

So, Julian Ward is leaving at the end of the season; like Michael Edwards, “to take a break from football” which is not a coincidence. Dr Ian Graham, pivotal to the appointment of Klopp along with Edwards, is going too. Will Spearman, a super-smart thinker, is also apparently on his way.

https://tomkinstimes.substack.com/p/multiple-resignations-liverpool-fc?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=auto_share&r=7no6e

So, Julian Ward didn't last long after Michael Edwards, his predecessor, quit last season. The equally important Ian Graham is also said to be going. I had heard that various senior scouts wanted to quit in the summer, and still might.

This has all been going on for a while, it seems (based on what I’ve been hearing on the grapevine), and was an additional reason I suspected a couple of weeks ago that FSG might be willing to call time as running the club just got a whole lot harder.

The smart-thinking backroom that they created had lost its influence, with the best manager in the world and his talented assistant no longer on the same page as all those who brought them many of the great players (that they then helped turn into world-class players)

Archived