Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'd bet it's Klopp/Lijnders vs Ward/others.

100% Klopp/Lijnders were behind the ridiculous Curtis Jones extension. 100% Klopp/Lijnders were behind the Nunez signing. Remember it was Lijnders who said Curtis is better than Pedri/Gavi! :rolleyes:

Ward probably gave Klopp a list of midfielders that obviously Klopp rejected, otherwise we would have bought at least 1 decent mid in the summer transfer.

Ward probably thought, fuck it , these are not my transfers but I'll get the blame so I'm outa here. 

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

More on Ward, plus senior scouts and another main analytics guy left

So, Julian Ward is leaving at the end of the season; like Michael Edwards, “to take a break from football” which is not a coincidence. Dr Ian Graham, pivotal to the appointment of Klopp along with Edwards, is going too. Will Spearman, a super-smart thinker, is also apparently on his way.

https://tomkinstimes.substack.com/p/multiple-resignations-liverpool-fc?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=auto_share&r=7no6e

Thanks for posting.  Yes, this was my fear: Klopp may not be as bought-in to the moneyball analytics as his public professions sound.

Our success in transfers is a large component of our overall success, and our excess loyalty — or lack of ruthlessness — toward under-performers (just look at Ox & Keita, not to mention a contract for Jones and even the renewals for Henderson and Milner) is probably our biggest drag.  Of course, the very highly coached system and player motivation are still the biggest contributors to success, even if that motivation looks burnt out this season.

56 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Neymar to miss next 2 with ankle injury. 

Danilo is also missing the next two, which means Daniel Alves, called for his tambourine skills in the post-match samba, might have to play. At 39 years old, without pm playing a match in the last 2 or 3 months, alongside 38 year old Thiago Silva.  I would like to see Militão and Bruno playing, but Tite almost certainly will play Alves and Fred.

Archived